Expectations/Anticipations for 2003?

Originally posted by speed
anyone know anything about the new samael

I too am disgusted with Iced Earth- and the patriotic leanings of the band is bullshit- as iced earth is big in europe not america- and just what great war are we fighting right now?

My biggest problem with them is the fact they feel their style of metal is taking over and that death metal and all other forms of extreme metal will soon be some kind of distant memory. All I have to say about that is...bullshit. 2002 alone showed that death metal is going strong and will continue its path.

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
My biggest problem with them is the fact they feel their style of metal is taking over and that death metal and all other forms of extreme metal will soon be some kind of distant memory. All I have to say about that is...bullshit. 2002 alone showed that death metal is going strong and will continue its path.

Let me ask you this: how do you KNOW what Jon Schaeffer and Iced Earth are thinking or feeling? Did he say this somewhere?

It would actually be good for death metal to die and be reborn as actual death metal and not as this gay meloshit or as death/grind hybrid that seems to be dominating the scene nowadays.

Originally posted by markgugs
Let me ask you this: how do you KNOW what Jon Schaeffer and Iced Earth are thinking or feeling? Did he say this somewhere?

Yes, in fact he did. I am not lying what so ever. I am not sure which magazine it was but I did read either Barlow or Schaeffer say something along the lines of "death metal died back in the early 90's and power metal is taking over." I'm not making it up because I don't like them. I said it because it's something I observed in a periodical.

Originally posted by MacMoney
It would actually be good for death metal to die and be reborn as actual death metal and not as this gay meloshit or as death/grind hybrid that seems to be dominating the scene nowadays.

With bands like Insision, Fornicator, Impaled, Bloodbath, Origin, Hate Eternal, etc..releasing new music these days what do you mean by the death/grind hybrid that's invading the scene? Personally I think Pig Destroyer, Nasum, Agorophobic Nosebleed, Benumb, are killer grindcore bands. I don't see the problem. As far as melodic death goes..I'm really not a big fan..there are very few exceptions when it comes to my taste.

Originally posted by MURAI
Impaled's song "Spirit Of The Dead" is wicked.

Yeah pretty much everything Impaled has done is killer. Mondo Medicale was definitely one of the top 5 best released albums of 2002. Hands down.

Yes, he did say this. I read it as well. I don't know where I read it, as it was quite a while ago. But yes, he said something to the extent of "death metal died back in the early 90's and power metal is taking over".

Needless to say, it made me laugh.

Ha, that's laughable.

I was just surprised to hear this because after talking to him for so long, he didn't give any indication he felt that way. Of course maybe he's now changed his mind since it's death metal (or somewhat death metal) that's mostly breaking through these days...

Ha, that's laughable.

I was just surprised to hear this because after talking to him for so long, he didn't give any indication he felt that way. Of course maybe he's now changed his mind since it's death metal (or somewhat death metal) that's mostly breaking through these days...

With bands such as Insision out there owning the world, no one should have time for cheesy bullshit like iced earth. Barlow...can suck it.

Well, easy there pardner...

IE isn't cheesy bullshit in the least, but I see what you mean about superb death metal coming from everyplace these days...

Well, I'm glad we agree on SOMETHING my fellow brother of the metal faith...I mainly aimed to let you know I in no way made up that comment about Schaeffer or Barlow or whoever it was that said "death metal is a dead and power metal is taking over" Don't get me wrong..I think Iced Earth ooze talent..I just can't stand the way in which they use it.

Originally posted by Soilent Goat
Well, I'm glad we agree on SOMETHING my fellow brother of the metal faith...I mainly aimed to let you know I in no way made up that comment about Schaeffer or Barlow or whoever it was that said "death metal is a dead and power metal is taking over" Don't get me wrong..I think Iced Earth ooze talent..I just can't stand the way in which they use it.

I've found that I have more widespread metal tastes than most. I don't strictly listen to death, or black, etc.

I have every In Flames CD, nestled comfortably next to the entire Iced Earth collection, which sits next to all my Immortal CDs.

Originally posted by Profano
New Old Man's Child and Blood Red Throne was a good beginning, I'm looking for new Windir, Gorgoroth, Obtained Enslavement Samael, Nokturnal Mortum, Summonong, Bal Sagoth, Marduk, Trollheims Grott and Vintersorg

Blood Red Throne is SICK!! killer band..I haven't listened to the new Old Man's Child yet..I dig their past albums though so I assume the new can't be bad.

Iced Earth....totally overrated. Proficiet musicians, but boring and generic to the Nth degree. No one I know likes these guys or buys their records, but all I ever hear is how great they are......