Explain your Stuff..

Boron said:
On the issue of the poppiness, its not exactly the word I would use. Its definitely more down tempo, but not exactly poppy. They are hard to describe I havn't really found anyone who sounds anything like them. Perhaps some of those bands you mentioned... I'm not familiar with them perhaps I'd have to check them out :Spin:
The "poppiness" certainly isn't pervasive. But in songs like 'Advent' there's a bit of an 80's pop sound there, especially in the vocals. It somehow reminds me of Simple Mind's 'Don't You Forget About Me.' :lol:

Sole4Raziel said:
The "poppiness" certainly isn't pervasive. But in songs like 'Advent' there's a bit of an 80's pop sound there, especially in the vocals. It somehow reminds me of Simple Mind's 'Don't You Forget About Me.' :lol:

hahaha, I guess I see what you're getting at. Their first effort is definitely their poppiest :) It was released in 1984 though, so cut them some slack!! :D

Nick: I first created "Somber Soul" for my EzBoard account in 2000 in order to post at the old DT forum. That name has stuck with me ever since and I have been using it all over the Net. The meaning should be clear and it probably describes an aspect of me.

Title: It's a pun of the saying "the ayes have it". I created it because the green eye is quite prominent in my avatar. :)

BUMP..

Where the hell did all these people go?..

Boron: And boron is also the element used to 'dope' certain nano-regions of silicon, giving it a necessary excess of electron holes ..regions which are a part of the millions of transistors in your computer's microchip processor.[/geek]
:p

Kat: Weren't you supposedly here to stay? :rolleyes:

Anyways.. maybe we can have some of the newer people fill us in, and also the older ones who've since changed their avatar/title/etc..

ok.
Name: The Don: My name is Donald and I thought I would get more authority if I sounded Italian.
Avatar: All my friends just call me goat. so it's a goat.
Title: One of my friends is 140lbs and benches 310lbs. I am not as strong so i got stuck with being the withering goat!
Signature: I like Metal....hence the smilies! :Spin: :Spin: :Spin: :Spin:

My title, sig, and avatar are all ripped shamelessly from the third Monty Python's Flying Circus episode, because it's possibly the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.

The best humour comes from the UK. I love the classic stuff (such as the Pythons, Fawlty Towers etc.) and the new stuff (such as Coupling).

In general I agree. The Office, for example, was genius. However, America has Scrubs, which is by far and away the best thing that's been made recently.

True, I like Scrubs as well. But that's about the only sitcom I like from overseas. Did you know they had a Coupling remake in the US? It was less biting and less open but still some stations refused to air the programme and eventually it failed. Anyway, I'm all for black British humour. But that's (like everything else) a matter of taste, of course.

nick

Well it used to be Violet Baudelaire, very nice character of some books I quite enjoy. I recently changed it as the movie is coming out on the 17th of Dec and Jim Carrey's on it and I hate him and don't want to be associated to him... plus, the movie will probably suck. My new nick, Hitori, is in japanese, it means both "one person" and "lonely", so, depending on my mood, I will be a strong individual or a lonely miserable creature. Plus I like how it sounds.

title
"drama queen"... well, anyone who knows me probably knows it's true. I take things too seriously and if things are too boring I create a bit of adventure aka trouble for myself. not good. it has been other things in the past but atm I only remember "memento mori," and once "no alarms and no surprises"

from a wonderful movie, Battle Royale... didn't know whether I should choose her or the girl with the scythe but oh well. It used to be some illustrations of VB, the book character.

lost... well, I'm really in Helsinki, I'll be in Mexico soon, but unfortunately I think I'm still a bit lost in life, not sure where I'm headed, which is kind of exciting sometimes, but makes me anxious most other times. Specially now when I'm sort of in a crossroads.

signature
well, the link to an online magazine my friends and I have, and part of a poem by Pentti Saarikoski, I thought it was a good quote. But it bores me now so I will probably change it, if I can come up with something else.

since some things changed...

nick: no, this didn't change.

title: a quote from a song, i found it appropriate for how i am feeling and what i'm doing.

avatar: a thing i did in high school, re-elaboration (this word sounds way too important :p ) of a famous painting, "eye balloon" by O. Redon: http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/redon/charcoals/redon.eye-balloon.jpg

location: used to be "in the silent halls of none" which i don't need to explain, but at some point it seemed too serious. maybe i'll change it back.

sig: another quote from (the AA :p ) a Tool's song, "sober". Tool is one of my favourite bands and sober one of my fav songs.

EDIT: ehm, i just found out that the location was hidden due to some weirdness with colors o_O

@hilj: :lol: @ the silly halls. i hadn't noticed that.

my current title comes from a therapy? song. it is intended to portray a state of consciousness about a small but significant number of failures in my life. most things are achieved if one tries hard enough, in some cases one has to say "i tried, i'm sorry" and just stop trying. unless you are my father, who - specifically questioned - once told me that no, he doesn't think he's ever majorly lost to someone.

my current signature comes from the beautiful song "tropical london" by the punk band rancid. the lyrics are about the singer's wife, who left him. i am not using them in a romantic sense though, because i haven't recently been dumped by anyone. it has more to do with the concept above and how things don't work out sometimes. it's the emotional side to the rationality of "i tried, i'm sorry". and it's also slightly bitter, in a "is it never enough?" sense.

my location is, quite boringly, where i live. screen-name's been explained in the past. as for the avatar, i don't remember if i still had the lion king's hyena avatar when i first wrote on this thread, but anyway my current one is referred to the harry potter series.

Well, my location changed a bit in order to match my current title, i wanted to emphasize the sense of hibernation, and i thought it wouldn't make much sense to hibernate on a rock..
"Hibernating" describes my current situation in a way.

Hmm, yes.

Title: "maktgalen människoapa" means "powerhungry anthropoid ape" in Swedish.

Sig: Latin and means roughly "Don't you know, my son, with how little reason/sense (förstånd) the world is ruled?"

Avatar: Detail of this album cover.

It's also a songtitle on that album that is my username.

well my name is solefald, it means sunset in oldnorvegain and its the name of a norvegian avantgarde black metal band which is one of absolute favorite.
very intresting music and lyrics
my title is countryside bohemian, a song of Solefald(again) of their first album and I think it fits on me
avatar is the cover of Thorns. I like this pic very much dontreally know what it is, an parasite exploding out of an head, dont really know.sometimes I think about of changing it into an Omnium GatherumCover but I always forget it
my signature is a part of the poem when the moon is on the wave by the noble lord byron(also apperaring on an solefald album-the poem not the lord-he is dead since 188 years)
its very powerfull and full of emotions so I used it. perhaps after some years I must look for another lets see what comes into my mind...
Im very influenced by solefald but anyway I like it...
and as noone used it before its me since I m here :headbang:

My name: is also the name of the first band I played in. Officially, it was just a cool name that we thought fitted with our dramatic sound (lyrics, anyway), but unofficially, it was an ode to sex during the menstrual cycle. :)

My title: Is dedicated to a certain person, now deseased, who I still miss.

My avatar: I dunno. Just a picture of a rose that's red and black...

As for sig, don't have one. I've turned off the sigs, because so many people have these gigantic pictures.