Falling Asleep/Dreaming to Opeth

My parents say it's because I think too much and it triggers my paranoia and anxieties due to the fact that when I think, it's usually negative and about my fears. Fairly logical, if you ask me.

Oh I could have sworn I mentioned it to you sometime before.

Well it's nothing short of terrifying. Not being able flinch is completely an utterly......yeah. Terrifying.
I have had it for years and I still haven't seen a doctor for it, I have only read up on it on the internet. Apparently it's caused by stress and other things.
But it's gotten to the point where I don't even want to sleep anymore. I fear one night the paralysis will last too long and I'll faint from loss of oxygen or something...

What doctor would you see? A psychologist might be more effective, but they're expensive and at times, are ineffective (huge contradiction, I know).

Personally, studying psych in a must for me because I a) need to know why some of us are so affected by minor stress to the point where for me, I have to either move or stand up, or for you, being unable to breathe (a horrible thought). The human mind is a puzzle we can never solve, but I want to contribute my piece to it. But reason b) it could be good for getting into a law school.

I would love to study psych, the things you just mentioned are always on my mind. Well get a class together perhaps next year.

It is offered in grade 11, so hopefully yes. And as much fun Bergen can be, I kind of hope it won't be all about how the mind is affected by events, but how thoughts can affect emotions and actions in the presence. Stuff like that amazes me that such complexity exists in us, and we'll never full understand.

^ i think ive heard something about this sleep paralysis thing before, although im not quite sure. from what i remember its caused by a chemical thats released to the body (or the brain, cant remember long time ago) that relaxs it and 'puts it to sleep', so to say. the problem arises when the brain wakes up but the body reacted slower, meaning the mind realises the paralysis and causes you to panic. i remember reading someone on another forum writing about it a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_atonia#Physiology_of_REM_sleep
i looked it up and aparantly it is similar to REM atonia, another form of paralysis in which the body emits a chemical compound to submit the muscles so they dont work during the night. interesting stuff, although i cant remember if ive ever experienced it. the only real thing that has happened to me related to paralysis is sleeping on my hand and then being unable to move it in the morning lol, had to shake it and rub it until blood re entered

although you said you cant breathe at all which is strange...the stuff i was talking about apparantly doesnt restrict oxygen intake because its a natural occurence during sleepytime

I sometimes listen to "Weakness" when falling asleep. That part when he sings "stain me, save me, take me to my home...", in a completely dark room, low volume, half asleep...weird experience, give it a try.

And no, I don´t touch myself when doing this.

I don't have a lot of experience falling asleep to Opeth. I think the music is a bit too irregular to do that for me. I love falling asleep to black metal though, Burzum and Drudkh in particular.

Guys, I really appreciate all the help. Thanks alot.
@Leif: Yes, I have actually heard the same thing about the lucid dreams. I think that would be fascinating if I could somehow use my paralysis in a good way. Especially lucid dreaming, which I find to be one of the most interesting things I have ever experienced. And also, that would make perfect sense if it's the chemical reaction that's causing it. My muscles are far too relaxed and bang, can't move. Breathing isn't completely impossible, but it is close to it. Certain muscles gotta move in order to breath, so I think that makes sense also.

Thanks again all :)

I've read that trying to move your toes slowly might help recover movement on the rest of the body.
Now that I think of it, once, when I was a child, a similar experience happened to me, but I dismissed it as a nightmare. I guess it was sleep paralysis then.

Necropeth, you should have your sleep paralysis checked out, as there are highly effective drugs that you may choose to use intermittently, such as clonazepam. it's not a dangerous drug to use and would REALLY help you.

How is it that sleep paralysis is being talked about, but not a word of Dredg's El Cielo has been mentioned???

I'm not familiar with this man Frosties, I'll look him up.

And as for the drugs, I'm actually very interested in trying out the lucid dream technique first.....I think tonight might be the first night I will actually try to achieve sleep paralysis. (I get it the most when sleeping on my back, so I'll try that out.)