Fates Warning @ MoJoes Rollcall

What??
How dare you NOT go to a show???!!!???!!??

LOL........

Not sure what to expect this evening.
If they play the same set they did at Prog Power I will be VERY happy.

Ivory Gate in its entirety would make me have to change my pants!

Well I've probably said it a thousand times now, but once was probably enough for me unless they ever get another good band as support. Musically the band is fantastic, Ray just isn't very good live.

Well I've probably said it a thousand times now, but once was probably enough for me unless they ever get another good band as support. Musically the band is fantastic, Ray just isn't very good live.

I thought Fates Warning were great last night and did not like them at PPUSA. I was just super tired from work so I left a song into the encore. Their style of music is not exactly the most energizing. I saw the singer with FW a couple times and with Redemption and thought he was mediocre at best. He sounded really on last night, definitely the best I've ever heard of him live.

Wish they could have got a more suited support band than Halcyon Way. Seeing them at Saxon was enough.

I thought Fates Warning were great last night and did not like them at PPUSA. I was just super tired from work so I left a song into the encore. Their style of music is not exactly the most energizing. I saw the singer with FW a couple times and with Redemption and thought he was mediocre at best. He sounded really on last night, definitely the best I've ever heard of him live.

Wish they could have got a more suited support band than Halcyon Way. Seeing them at Saxon was enough.

I hate to sound like Jason, but what was the turnout?

Turnout was much better than expected.

Halcyon Way need to pick a sound and stick with it.
I mean the first song even had harsh vocals.
Then they would even play some poppy stuff.
I hate to say it, but they epitomize those bands who just got into metal and want to be a band so they play everything to appeal to everyone.
They did not go over well.

Anyhow, more importantly, Fates Warning kicked serious amounts of ass!!!!
Sure, the setlist, which I will post below, would not appeal to most here, but they haven't performed Arch material in over 20 years. If that's what you want, then the best you can hope for is an Arch / Matheos performace, which would be amaze-ballz!!!!

Turnout was solid. I think Pat is spot on, maybe 50 less than Helloween.
The promoter at MoJoes was VERY happy with the turnout.
All shows there have been doing very well this year it seems.

Here was the setlist:
One Thousand Fires
Life in Still Water
One
A Pleasant Shade of Gray part III
Another Perfect Day
Down to the Wire
A Pleasant Shade of Gray part VI
Pieces of Me
I Am
The Eleventh Hour
Point of View
Firefly
Through Different Eyes
A Pleasant Shade of Gray part XI
Wish
Monument
Still Remains
Eye to Eye

Yeah, he's got long hair, big beard, wears a patch vest with a big "Don't Break the Oath" patch on the back. He "ran" our merch at Ragnarrokr this year and was super glad to do it while the rest of the guys got drunk. He's too fucking nice.

Not a fan of that setlist, but I suppose it probably would have been fun.

I'm very shocked by that. Fates Warning usually doesn't draw very well from what I've heard. It being a Friday night probably helped though.

Hrmm...
Well, not sure who or what your sources are.
Can't recall last time they headlined the states.
From what I remember, last they toured was with Dream Theater and QR, and the time before that was supporting Savatage.

Way back they toured headlining over Sanctuary.

Yeah, he's got long hair, big beard, wears a patch vest with a big "Don't Break the Oath" patch on the back. He "ran" our merch at Ragnarrokr this year and was super glad to do it while the rest of the guys got drunk. He's too fucking nice.

Not a fan of that setlist, but I suppose it probably would have been fun.

Ok, I know who he is.
He came up to me at Alehorn, then later I realized who he was from Facebook too.

I loved the setlist actually, but I like some of the Alder stuff as much as the Arch stuff.

My main (realistic) complaint was the lack of NO EXIT material.
They even sold a NO EXIT shirT!!!!

When I saw that, I was thinking, "cool!! maybe they will play some of it, or even Ivory Gate of Dreams" that they did at Prog Power.

Of important note for Ragnarokkr, I will say there were a TON of people at this show who I have never seen at other shows. There is still a huge untapped market of older metal fans who aren't in the know about underground metal gigs.....

They even sold a NO EXIT shirT!!!!

Some bands seem to struggle to come up with good shirt designs, and FW is one of them. I've seen them twice and I didn't like any shirts they had available at either show (which I think was just one design each time). If they actually have some decent shirts available I might go to the show again just to buy one!

I'm pretty ho-hum on Darkness in Different Light (I like it, just not that much), but I think the album cover art makes a decent shirt.

All shows there have been doing very well this year it seems.

I have a theory on this. I think for a while either people didn't want to go to Joliet, didn't know of Mojoes or were hoping shows would eventually start to go elsewhere.

I think now people realize that a lot of metal shows are going to be at Mojoes or they found out about it. It definitely seems to have a huge increase this year opposed to the previous year.