Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Porcelain Heart

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • Hessian Peel

Votes: 76 33.3%
  • Hex Omega

Votes: 18 7.9%

• Total voters
Also, wow, why the hell do people like Heir Apparent that much ?

Because it's an amazing song.

That's my least favourite by far, I mean, no clean vocals at all, pure riffage from the beginning to the end

What? Why does it need clean vocals? There are plenty of clean vocals elsewhere on Watershed.

And since when is pure riffage a bad thing?

Well that's not a bad thing but the "typical" Opeth songs aren't like that at all... frankly I have been very surprised when I gave a full listen to this song, that would rather fit Bloodbath than Opeth imo.

[Edit]
Coil is also an amazing song but I understand the few number of votes for it since it's really short.

Well that's not a bad thing but the "typical" Opeth songs aren't like that at all... frankly I have been very surprised when I gave a full listen to this song, that would rather fit Bloodbath than Opeth imo.

Heir Apparent doesn't sound like Bloodbath at all...

It still has soft parts, is very progressive, the riffs aren't chaotic but more rhythmic like most newer opeth. I actually hadn't noticed that there were no clean vocals until a few listens, just because it flows so much like other opeth songs. The song doesn't need clean vocals, it's not missing anything.

It still has soft parts, is very progressive, the riffs aren't chaotic but more rhythmic like most newer opeth. I actually hadn't noticed that there were no clean vocals until a few listens, just because it flows so much like other opeth songs. The song doesn't need clean vocals, it's not missing anything.

Bloobbath, to me, is a lot more brutal than Heir Apparent. Of course, I say brutal in a good sense.

Bloobbath, to me, is a lot more brutal than Heir Apparent. Of course, I say brutal in a good sense.

I would agree with you there. Personally, I don't like bloodbath very much. It just sounds too jumbled and chaotic, not melodic enough. I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to metal though. To give you a perspective of where I'm at musically, it was Katatonia that got me into Opeth, and it was Opeth that got me into Porc Tree.

Only other really heavy band I'm into is probably Dark Tranquility.

I would agree with you there. Personally, I don't like bloodbath very much. It just sounds too jumbled and chaotic, not melodic enough. I'm kind of a n00b when it comes to metal though. To give you a perspective of where I'm at musically, it was Katatonia that got me into Opeth, and it was Opeth that got me into Porc Tree.

Only other really heavy band I'm into is probably Dark Tranquility.

I know what you mean. I started listening to Opeth some few years ago, so I still consider myself a noob because it hasn't been until this past year that I've really gotten into them. But I'm a HUGE Porcupine Tree fan, so I can kind of tell why you like Opeth, but not Bloodbath.

Burden is an absolutely gorgeous song. Very emotional. Hell, it could very well be combined with Coil to form one mega-Prog song.

Well it's not exactly Bloodbath style either, I don't know how to explain it clearly, but no particular melody stands out on this track.
Except for the outro, which could have been from the MAYH era, it sounds to me like this song is just some death metal riffs put together and played again and again.
I'm not surprised that many people like it, I just didn't expect so many people to vote for that song to be the best on the record !

Hex Omega.

Great atmosphere. And that bleak, desolating ending riff is awesome!

Hessian Peel is a strong contender, though.