Fave Guitar Solo?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I was reading a interview with Zakk Wylde in which the interviewer proclaimed the solo from Mr Crowley to be the best metal solo ever- and Zakk agreed. Now I am no guitarist- but I was wondering what all the guitarists, and other metal fans out there thought about this claim?

Steve Morse - Mechanical Frenzy
Nightingale - Eternal
Guns N' Roses - Estranged
Edge of Sanity - The Last Song
Carcass - Blood Splattered Banner

Any of em off Cynic's album

Devin Townsend - Deep Peace (Mesmerizing imo)

Lynard Skynard - Freebird ...the 6 minute long solo at the end.

Alot of Death's solos as well...

So many more...

I like the solos by opeth, and emperor, they are really fuckin sweet. The solo in spasm by meshuggah is really cool too. I also like death's and nevermore's solos, they are definatly the best outta all of them.

The solo in Metallica - The Unforgiven is pretty damn amazing.

And being the giggling fanboy that I am, I must name some Opeth solos:
When (2 mins ish)
A Fair Judgement (6 mins ish)
The Twilight Is My Robe (8 mins ish)
Black Rose Immortal (both of them)

I love all AC/DC's but for some reason Hard As A Rock is a favourite, although the studio version of Whole Lotta Rosie is the best ever. Ice Cream Man by EVH is also fookin great.

I have copied the following from a thread about songs without soloes (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28449):
To me they're loads of "braindead" solos. I often refer to them as "Slayer solos" - Just speeding away with no mention of melody or anything. When I play solos myself it's excactly the same; 200 mph with no melody! The only decent solos I've ever heard from Slayer is Jeff Hanneman's solos on "Seasons in the abyss", "Ghosts of war" (when the song slows down) and maybe "213". I've never heard Kerry King do a decent solo - it's all kind of braindead "wanking" as you say.
Besides the soloes I've just mentioned these solos are the only ones that come to mind:
Pantera "Floods" and Guns N' Roses "Double talkin' jive". The GN'R song has probably the best guitar solo I've ever heard. It doesn't sound complicated or hard or anything, but it has melody and it fits the song very well. I think Slash is very good at doing soloes, he always make soloes that fits the song and doesn't seem braindead. The Pantera song also has a great solo with lots of melody. I think that Dimebag often do braindead solos too, maybe fitting for the song, but nothing I will remember 5 minutes after the song is over, except "Floods".
I have a lot of jazz records, but jazz often tends to just play the melody for a half minute then do piano/guitar/bass solo for 4-5 minutes and it gets tiresome listening to it. I can find jazz that is extremely avesome, but they haven't that much soloing either. Oscar Peterson's "Wheatland" has solos, but is a fantastic song and I don't think that the soloing ruins the song. I can recommend this song to everyone as it's a fantastic song as I said. Buy the record ("Canadiana Suite") or download it or some shit. Beatufil stuff!

BloodStainedWalls said:
Lynard Skynard - Freebird ...the 6 minute long solo at the end.

HELL yes!! One of my favourite ever solos!!! Just an all time classic....you have to have been deaf all your life to not know and recognise the godliness of Freebird.

Guardian of Darkness said:
The solo in Metallica - The Unforgiven is pretty damn amazing.

And being the giggling fanboy that I am, I must name some Opeth solos:
When (2 mins ish)
A Fair Judgement (6 mins ish)
The Twilight Is My Robe (8 mins ish)
Black Rose Immortal (both of them)

LOL. 'giggling fanboy' hehehe. I don't really consider them to be solos....they're just...not...really.....SOLOS! To me they're really just what i'd call lead guitar. I mean, I know solos can be slow...but there should be fast parts too and exhibitionism, neither of which appear much in Opeth's lead guitar....so..... =/

As far as metal goes, there's just so many that very few ever catch my attention truly. I think my favourite ever is probably the ones in Morbid Angel's Thy Kingdom Come.....which are just completely unforgettable, despite being spastic and crazy, and despite me thinking Morbid Angel are pretty crap.