Favorite Band/Album Discovery of 2013

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
Not everyone catches on to a band when they first come out. Some of us are too young to have even heard 70's and 80's bands when they came out. I thought it would be an interesting thread to discuss what bands or albums that we discovered this year that were from previous years.

Here are some of mine to get it started:

Helloween - Rabbit Don't Come Easy - This had horrible cover art and an even weirder title. I saw Helloween 3 times this year and they played "Hell Was Made In Heaven" each time. It was a really catchy track that I had never heard. Thanks to Jason for loaning it to me. This is a monster of an album. Post-Keepers...probably in my top 3. My favorite tune is "Open Your Life." There is also a nice homage to "Stargazer" at the end of the last song.

Jag Panzer/Harry Conklin Projects - Always heard a few Jag Panzer albums here and there (mostly newer stuff like Thane to the Throne and Casting the Stones). I thought they were okay but nothing special super special. I picked up a CD bootleg of Ample Destruction/Tyrants in Germany and was digging it. Al let me borrow his bootleg of Chain of Command...pretty good. Then I picked up the reissues and really dove into the material. The Shadow Thief demo/album is probably my favorite. Lee also loaned me Age of Mastery which is just a monster of a album (and includes material from Shadow Thief). Now I am diving into some of Harry Conklin's other projects like Titan Force and Satan's Host. He is turning into one of my favorite singers.

Sabaton

I had seen some clips here and there, but knowing that they'd be opening for Iced Earth, I bought a few of their records and was completely blown away. I love the big, bombastic sound coupled with a unique sounding vocalist and lyrics inspired by various international conflicts. I haven't been able to stop listening to these guys for a month.

Damnation Angels

Love this debut album as well - Pellek sounds incredible and the band and songs are awesome and give me a big Kamelot vibe.

tons for me.....

Fortuner - heard them at the BBQ before Amulance over the summer. Picked up the CD at the metal market. top notch stuff.

Universe - heard this in the car from mendoza. Luckily Heaven and Hell Records had it in stock in their distro at Ragnarokkr.

Vardis - seen this bands stuff for years...finally got them...damn good stuff. Pissed I didn't get them sooner.

there are lots more...need to look at my CD's to remind myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riot - Thundersteel (The only Riot album I had was their latest and loved and was meaning to get into them sooner. Then at Progpower I picked up Thundersteel and realized I was missing a classic of an album and band.)

I'll do more later as I gotta go.

Estuary of Calamity - The Sentencing. I'd heard about this band a while ago, being compared to Garden of Shadows. I had one of their later albums after they'd changed their name to Estuary, and didn't like it. I decided to give this one a shot, and holy shit, it's exactly what I wanted. This really is like Garden of Shadows, mixed with old Children of Bodom and a few cool ornaments like harps. By far the best album I got this year. I don't think anyone here would like it much. Maybe Simon would.

Some of the CDs I got this year that I liked the most were ones that I'd had before and wasn't into. I'm glad I gave Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear, Scanner - Hypertrace, Manowar - Louder Than Hell, and Manilla Road - The Deluge a second or third chance.

oh I love me some good doom; very raw but so much potential there.

This was neat, never had heard of these guys before but it certainly took me back to a fine time in my life.

Late on this one; I had heard the name for a while but you just can't gety around to everything, but oh damn this band is great. This has to be the best outfit in Chicago, and one of the best metal/hard rock bands in the U.S, I would dare say.

Another I was just late on checking out but after seeing them live I quickly moved them up in the que. Hands down my favorite discovery of 2013, this band rocks; it is like a doomy Thin Lizzy meets Wishbone Ash with sprinkles of David Bowie, Heep, and Gary Moore.

i wish you were doing it...these bozos haven't moved on it.

of course not just like; Auburn has not put out Black Death, Paradoxx pressed CDrs that no one seems to know even exist, there is no Glacier release, Overlorde SR will not get a vinyl release, jezz I could make a long list. But it is all because these bands are directionaless and think they can do it themselves, and more often than not they do shitty jobs of it. But hey you can only led a horse to water.
I was thinking earlier todayu about how many bands I have talked to that could have had releases out but now but they choose their own route. I looked up a few and well... that route was short it appeared. :lol:

Nomad Son (epic doom with keyboards)

Superchrist (I'll be honest. I wanted to hate this band badly with how much Bob raves about them. Initially I thought I did. Then when I finally took a listen, I really dug them and they're even better live.)

Corsair rules. Love their stuff and especially their Thin Lizzy vibe.

Also, glad to see that Jeff is getting into some good black metal. You should check out the Aosoth's newest album "IV: An Arrow in Heart." Definitely my favorite black metal album of the year.