Favorite Band/Album Discovery of 2013

Bob, I'm digging the clips of Hammeron. Are they playing any more gigs? Get them for Ragnarokkr.

For Corsair I like the "Ghosts of..." EP but the other 2 releases were just okay to me.

They played over the summer...before that it was a long time I think. The main guy lives in LA so it would be flights and stuff to get them. I know Odin talked to them in the early fall and I think it just didn't work out. I think because too many people were complaining about "not enough known acts" playing so far.

Lots of more newer-ish bands.....

Some off the top of my head:
Blazon Stone
Rocka Rollas
GateKeeper
Argus

I know there are TON more which will come to me later.

Sorry but put me in the category of those who don't care for Corsair.

Lee lent me a cd. I felt like I was back in Champaign, IL circa 1993.

I lived that era the first time. Didn't really like it then.

hey I did not expect many Il. boys to like the band, after all they are a band known outside of the mid-west and I don't think you guys like many of those right.:lol:
U, so that was the sound up there in '93 Wishbone Ash crossed with Thin Lizzy well Jason do tell who these bands were because I'd seriously like to check them out.
The band is refreshing, sort of the same way hammers of Misfortune are. They are not just a throwback band that does their best to dress and sound like a band from the first half of the 1980s and well I can appreciate that.

Why do you care so much if someone doesn't like a band that you do?

Sorry. From what I heard they sounded a lot like central IL post punk / indie rock. Obviously you don't agree and I don't really care to get into a debate about it. Just saying I didnt care at all for them. You like them and that is great.

Tell me more about them. I heard a few songs and thought they were pretty good, but I wasn't sure if it was worth it to get their album.
I like the album quite a bit. Very folky and melodic, not a whole lot of "riffs" per se, but lots of the melody-lines that weave in and out of each other and make nice harmony lines (Think "Opium Trail" by Lizzy or the folky lead guitars in Solstice) and loads of little medieval acoustic tunes. Vocals I can take/leave, just ambient BM rasping. Not a whole lot of blast-beating which is fine by me. No folk instruments or anything. I can't think of any bands off the top of my head that do something like this, but I'm sure there are some out there.

It's an album of great folk-inspired BM with a nice mossy texture and really pretty guitar work.

they sound to me like they listen to a lot of Orchid (not the doom metal one), City of Caterpillar etc smashed alongside the twin-guitar 70's fantasy-rawk like UFO and the aforementioned Lizzy/Wishbone Ash. Fun listen. Haven't dived into them too much yet though

Fair enough. That's not what I picked up on at first listen.

Though with so many bands out there when one doesn't grab me , I rarely bother going back. More for you guys.

Corsair definitely have an element that reminds me of some "emo" or emo/pop punk bands like early Jimmy Eat World, Knapsack, Park, etc. But then there is the side with twin leads and "Classic Rock" sounds as well. It sounds like an emo/indie band trying to play 70's hard rock. I will definitely check out anything new they put out because I do think they have potential.

Why do you care so much if someone doesn't like a band that you do?

Sorry. From what I heard they sounded a lot like central IL post punk / indie rock. Obviously you don't agree and I don't really care to get into a debate about it. Just saying I didnt care at all for them. You like them and that is great.

:lol: I was just asking who these similar bands were that's all. You are the one that seems to have gotten sand in your vagina over it.
But one can't help to wonder that if the band did not look like indie kids and instead wore vertical striped spandex and bullet belts if they might have more of an appeal. Post rock or not, they are better than most newcomer bands in the U.S.
oh, have you remembered these 93 bands yet? ;)

they sound to me like they listen to a lot of Orchid (not the doom metal one), City of Caterpillar etc smashed alongside the twin-guitar 70's fantasy-rawk like UFO and the aforementioned Lizzy/Wishbone Ash. Fun listen. Haven't dived into them too much yet though

It would really surprise me if you did not like them going on your taste in good doom, Wishbone Ash, etc.
I doubt the members of that band know Orchid, hell the guitarist did not know someone as well-known as Gary Moore but that is not surprising or a big deal.
They do strike me as a band that is a bit of a square-peg and well find it hard to find a place to fit in, but the best bands out there share the same misfortune. Jason mentioned they sound like a post rock band well maybe so and I don't entirely disagree with that. But let's be honest here; post rock and indie rock seems to produce a lot more original bands than a lot of other genres like our beloved heavy metal. I know that is a hard pile to swallow for most but hey it is what it is.
What it all boils down to is a good rock band is a good rock band no matter if it is a fits into ones parameters of what is "heavy metal" or if it is deemed "post rock" or whatever. Corsair are a great band.

it doesn't matter if it isn't "metal"....if something just isn't someone's thing or they just don't like it...they just don't like it. It isn't because someones taste are closed minded or anything. When Shadow Kingdom announced them years back on their label I checked out some samples and was not interested in them. I knew there would be many who would just because they are on Shadow Kingdom Records or people who dig that style. It isn't about if it isn't metal or is it or post rock or indie. It just boils doing to having good material that people like. It seems that they have people who like them and those who don't. Trying to take jabs at metal fans for being picky is just a cheap way to come across like you are above everyone else because you think your taste are more superior than others.

I am sure a band like this is great live. Just not my thing. Checked them out a while back and nothing clicked with me so I moved on...so many more bands out there to discover than to force myself to like something because others like them.

I'm posting from my phone and can't be bothered to pull youtube links. Will edit later. This year was spectacular for music, both from established bands and newcomers. I found a lot of great bands and can't remember even half of them. Off the top of my head:
A Pregnant Light
Black Trip (surprised I haven't seen this mentioned here)
Possession
Old Skin
Beyond
Stone Dagger

it doesn't matter if it isn't "metal"....if something just isn't someone's thing or they just don't like it...they just don't like it. It isn't because someones taste are closed minded or anything. When Shadow Kingdom announced them years back on their label I checked out some samples and was not interested in them. I knew there would be many who would just because they are on Shadow Kingdom Records or people who dig that style. It isn't about if it isn't metal or is it or post rock or indie. It just boils doing to having good material that people like. It seems that they have people who like them and those who don't. Trying to take jabs at metal fans for being picky is just a cheap way to come across like you are above everyone else because you think your taste are more superior than others.

I am sure a band like this is great live. Just not my thing. Checked them out a while back and nothing clicked with me so I moved on...so many more bands out there to discover than to force myself to like something because others like them.

the sand is getting into everyone's vagina. :lol:
Not taking jabs at metal just speaking the truth Bob. I don't need to take any jabs at metal anyway, it does that on it's own well enough (Manowar).:lol: And don't think for a second that me saying that brings into question my metal cred if you will or my love of metal, I think you know better than that. But seriously you are observant enough to watch people in other forums and notice patterns, routines, etc that make up stereotypes so certainly you can with all metal genres and fanbases... maybe you can't?

Jeremy,
I instantly thought of bands who were from either the Midwest or Champaign around that time. Some which come to mind are:
Braid
Gauge
Friction
Hum
Honcho Overload
Cap'n Jazz
Etc, etc.

IE - post punk type bands that were in the initial wave of emo

And read everyone's reply.
You are the only one getting defensive. No one else cares.

Jeremy,
I instantly thought of bands who were from either the Midwest or Champaign around that time. Some which come to mind are:
Braid
Gauge
Friction
Hum
Honcho Overload
Cap'n Jazz
Etc, etc.

IE - post punk type bands that were in the initial wave of emo

And read everyone's reply.
You are the only one getting defensive. No one else cares.

defensive? oh you have me all wrong.
I'll check out these bands, maybe I'll find more fanstasy themed emo/ post rock bands with Lizzy/UFO twin guitars, with a doomy feel. I appriecate it.