Favorite Band/Album Discovery of 2013

I realize that the mid-west is so far ahead of the rest of the country; wait my bad this is the same thing that was going on everywhere. Still I don't hear those twin guitars, similar song structure, actually melodic vocals, list goes on. Now if you were looking for similar bands to early Clutch, Jesus Lizard then maybe but this is nothing like Corsair, perhaps you were listening to the wrong band.:lol:. And the Cap 'n Jazz was an even further stretch. I could not find any of the other bands.
I guess you hear something totally different, I hear notes and song structure that is nothing like this band.
The new question this brings to mine is how would this ever be thought of as a presursor to emo? It is more similar to Buzz'oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought of Corsair as a cross between Thin Lizzy and Coheed And Cambria. What I love about them is that they bring so many different styles together and make it work. So yes, there is some 90s sound ("The Desert" reminds me of some shoegazer rock bands) but there are also 70s, 80s and more modern sounds as well.

I really don't hear any "emo" or "post-punk" or whatever you girls are talking about. I just hear Thin Lizzy mixed with Rush and Iron Maiden. If that is emo, well I'll be fucked.

I think people get hung up on the image as well. They LOOK like emo/post punk rockers.

I think that is EXACTLY what people get hung up on, just no one will ever admit to it, it's probably subconscious. And before someones suggest that the image doesn't matter well that is total bullshit, if it wasn't most A typical bands of whatever genre (note I did not just say heavy metal Bob) would not dress up in their best fashion of that said genre.
There is a band in North Carolina who in know part looks like a metal band (Colossus) but they are pretty straight up a traditional. Due to looking like young indie guys they have often been thought of as either not metal or just being ironic. I love to hear such assumptions from people.

I am not "reaching" for anything.
I am just stating what I heard when I first heard them.
Sorry - some bands just don't grab ya the first time, and I rarely bother going back.

I was not at all suggesting that Honcho Overload were at all remotely emo. They are true guitar driven indie rock. A great live band too.

You had simply asked for a list of 90's Champaign / Midwest bands who I would classify as having EITHER the emo or post rock / punk sound. I never said this was a list of bands who directly sounded like CORSAIR.

This is my fav Honch tune....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is EXACTLY what people get hung up on, just no one will ever admit to it, it's probably subconscious.

No doubt this happens. I agree with you 100%

Though I can say this isn't the case for me and CORSAIR.
I was lent a CD and listened to it.

You have the wrong opinion of me if you think I care about what a band looks like. Most here know my opinion of people who have to look the part.

A prime example is THE SWORD (Texas).
Great band and great Sabbath worship.
Love them.
People gave them so much crap because of their look and former bands they have been associated with.

If I like a band, I like a band.

I think that is EXACTLY what people get hung up on, just no one will ever admit to it, it's probably subconscious. And before someones suggest that the image doesn't matter well that is total bullshit, if it wasn't most A typical bands of whatever genre (note I did not just say heavy metal Bob) would not dress up in their best fashion of that said genre.
There is a band in North Carolina who in know part looks like a metal band (Colossus) but they are pretty straight up a traditional. Due to looking like young indie guys they have often been thought of as either not metal or just being ironic. I love to hear such assumptions from people.

there are a lot of bands here as well who don't look the part...Zuul is another. They don't dress metal or even have long hair for most members.

I think he reason this is going as far as it did is that there are just a lot of people here who don't care for Corsair but you seem to think it is all because we are from the midwest or closed minded. Just the fact is that they are just a mediocre band with ties to a "cool" label so people have given them a better shot than they would have being on some other label or even self releasing their stuff.

These guys don't look any more or less metal than most at "metal" shows these days. I think they fit in just fine....

14305.jpg

In other words:
- Not matching thrift store outfit??? CHECK
- Ungroomed facial hair??? CHECK
- In midst of growing out hair? CHECK
- Bad tattoos? CHECK

Looks like a modern metal band to me!

You have the wrong opinion of me if you think I care about what a band looks like. Most here know my opinion of people who have to look the part.

Love them.
People gave them so much crap because of their look and former bands they have been associated with.

To the contrary you are one of the few people I would not think it would matter too, after all consider yourself not exactly looking like "metal guy" and being a bass player.

To get back on topic...

Aquaria - Great power metal and a must listen for anyone who digs Angra. Thanks to Simon and Bob for this one.

Ostrogoth - Another one that I sampled a couple years back and did not grab me. Picked up a copy of their first album on CD and was totally blown away.

Hell - When the released their album last year I heard so much crap for them so I did not rush to hear it. Well I finally got around to checking it out for myself I then heard the 82 demo and then purchased both newer albums. The 82 demo contains mostly songs from the comeback album. It was amazing to hear how they kept the feel of the songs even after 30 years. Yeah some of the "magic" was lost with the slick production but at the end of the day they are great tunes. I like the old singer and the new one (probably the old one slight more due to him being a little less theatrical). I could imagine the live show with the new singer is insane.

Love them.

Jason you think a lot of yourself if you think my opinion is narrowed down to just you. And to the contrary I don't think the way a band looks would matter to you at all in fact, hell you don't look "the part" yourself so why would something like that matter to you?