Favorite Band/Album Discovery of 2013

Ummm...
No idea what you two are trying to get at.

It was moved to Atlanta to be closer to where Glen lives, on top of being in an area where there was less competition for shows in general. Glen has stated that many times.

Ummm...
No idea what you two are trying to get at.

It was moved to Atlanta to be closer to where Glen lives, on top of being in an area where there was less competition for shows in general. Glen has stated that many times.

Exactly why I said that. It had nothing to do with the music scene down there.

Exactly why I said that. It had nothing to do with the music scene down there.

Yes, exactly!!!
That's my point. Its moreso the LACK of music scene down there which made it attractive. Its a place with good weather and still a major metropolitan area which has plenty of locals who attend and became loyal on top of the out of towners.

As we know from having a fest in Chicago, most locals take it for granted since there are at least 10 metal shows a week in Chicago.

Yes, exactly!!!
That's my point. Its moreso the LACK of music scene down there which made it attractive. Its a place with good weather and still a major metropolitan area which has plenty of locals who attend and became loyal on top of the out of towners.

As we know from having a fest in Chicago, most locals take it for granted since there are at least 10 metal shows a week in Chicago.

well if there was a metal market all the tours would be hitting it....from what you are saying is that a town with a lack of metal scene will do better with a festival there. So explain Warriors of Metal then? I get your point but again it seems you are bringing up Nashville is pointless. It would do even worse than here since there would be less walk ups. it isnt the fact locals take it for granted...it is a few factors....line up, location and getting the word out. Plus keeping it all under budget. You can have it in any city and have the same issues. In Chicago there is a bigger metal scene so you raise the chance on walk ups more than any small city. It is reaching those people is what is important.

No, you don't get what I am saying.
You are getting a tad defensive over it.

Having it at the "right" city where there may not be a metal scene is what works. Have to make it an attractive city that is easy to get to. In other words, it has to be an actual "destination" people will want to go to.

I only bring up Nashville because of having gone there a number of times over the past couple of years. The downtown is fun as hell and it is a music city. Tons of underground record stores that carry rare 80s metal. As to why they, or Atlanta DON'T get more metal tours? Your guess is as good as mine.

Keeping it under budget is a given. No matter where the fest is.

My point with Chicago is that locals take every show for granted.
You miss a show, there is another one hours away, literally.

It has to be something very rare or unique for a metal gig to sell out in advance in Chicago (IE - Bolt Thrower).

No, you don't get what I am saying.
You are getting a tad defensive over it.

Having it at the "right" city where there may not be a metal scene is what works. Have to make it an attractive city that is easy to get to. In other words, it has to be an actual "destination" people will want to go to.

I only bring up Nashville because of having gone there a number of times over the past couple of years. The downtown is fun as hell and it is a music city. Tons of underground record stores that carry rare 80s metal. As to why they, or Atlanta DON'T get more metal tours? Your guess is as good as mine.

Keeping it under budget is a given. No matter where the fest is.

My point with Chicago is that locals take every show for granted.
You miss a show, there is another one hours away, literally.

It has to be something very rare or unique for a metal gig to sell out in advance in Chicago (IE - Bolt Thrower).

Well once you leave the shire and discover this magical city in the US that can sell out a festival with locals. Let all of us know Bilbo.

Well once you leave the shire and discover this magical city in the US that can sell out a festival with locals. Let all of us know Bilbo.

Did you read a word of what I said???
I even put the word "destination" in quotes.......

A metal fest will rarely sell out based on locals alone.

In what context of my post did you pull that notion out of??????????

I don't know how I forgot about this one. I have to give Mendyk credit for this one for getting me hooked. Awesome speed metal.

Last edited by a moderator: