Favorite Death Metal Albums

Yeah, what odyssey said. Who cares? Children of Bodom have enough DM elements to be in that genre, and anyway.. read my first post. I predicted the whole CoB thing would start so I mentioned that you shouldn't mention it, if that makes any sense.

Someday, I'm going to start a band whose style is so ambigious, no one will be able to label us, and thus, we will have no fans.

ThePhilosopher said:
People need to realize that there's a big difference between death metal and melodic-death/whatever metal.
Being the death metal aficionado that I am, I was interested in what everyone's favorite death metal albums were. Be it Swedish, American, Progressive, Melodic, Gore, or Children of Bodom, list what death metal dominates your CD player.
I agree with theodyssey. Could you guys stick to the topic and stop bitching about labels?

Thanks guys, and i'm not trying to be an ass... it just makes no difference. Whether it's cannibal corpse or arch enemy, morbid angel or mors principium est (best band ever!!!) it is all umbrellad under the same thing. fuck, nevermore has some death metal riffs, and if you had the vocals to match, you could make the arguement there, so what's the point?

Back to topic, how technical is Cynic? Are they like spiral architect where it's like that's all they focus on, or like bodom (not the sound, just principal) where they are technically gifted and use it, but there is still a song there?

theodyssey said:
Back to topic, how technical is Cynic? Are they like spiral architect where it's like that's all they focus on, or like bodom (not the sound, just principal) where they are technically gifted and use it, but there is still a song there?
I don't know spiral architect, so I can't comment on that. They are more like Atheist. They were one of the most technical ''death'' bands out there (I use the term death loosely) with plenty of jazz thrown in. They definitively have good songs and melodies. You won't find any senseless wanking on ''Focus''.

Bitch about it all you want, but Suffocation and Arch Enemy do not sound anywhere near the same, so I don't see how you could lump them in the same "death metal" category. It IS 2 different worlds with 2 different sounds, and 2 different approaches to songwriting. I didn't mean to piss anyone off when I said it, I'm just tired of people calling stuff like In Flames or CoB (both of whom have said they aren't DM) death metal. Aside from the occasional blastbeat I don't see the connection.

I really wonder if anyone actually saw my list or just jumped on the first sentence I wrote.

ThePhilosopher said:
Bitch about it all you want, but Suffocation and Arch Enemy do not sound anywhere near the same, so I don't see how you could lump them in the same "death metal" category. It IS 2 different worlds with 2 different sounds, and 2 different approaches to songwriting. I didn't mean to piss anyone off when I said it, I'm just tired of people calling stuff like In Flames or CoB (both of whom have said they aren't DM) death metal. Aside from the occasional blastbeat I don't see the connection.

I really wonder if anyone actually saw my list or just jumped on the first sentence I wrote.
That's not the point (and as a matter of fact, there are some bands on my list that I don't consider to be death metal). The person that started this thread clearly stated that he wanted death metal bands and bands that aren't pure death metal as well:

Being the death metal aficionado that I am, I was interested in what everyone's favorite death metal albums were. Be it Swedish, American, Progressive, Melodic, Gore, or Children of Bodom, list what death metal dominates your CD player.

Does anyone know any band that's like meshuggah??

I mean Really heavy riffs, that can be fast or slow (but they remain heavy), but it is NOT EVEN NEAR to brutal stuff (read almost all death/whatever bands).

theodyssey said:
Dude... who the hell really cares if there is a "difference between death metal and melodic death"? There is a fucking difference between V and the odyssey... fuckin' everyone stop bitching about labels. And i know some people refuse to call bodom death metal because they don't like death metal but they like bodom, that's bullshit. you like the band, they have death metal elements. What does it mater what they are labeled?
Ummm, so I guess Symphony X is reggae and Yanni is thrash metal. After all, what does it matter what they're labeled? BTW, CoB has no death metal elements. :pPPP

Children of Bodom is not black metal because black metal comes from Norway. :D But they're not power metal either even though that comes from Finland...so..um..yeah lets pretend they're from Sweden :p whatever i just thought i'd add to the madness

Alright, got somemore death metal cds yesterday that i can add to my list. I got Gateways [of/to?] annihilation by Morbid Angel and was happily surprised. good stuff. i also got Into the Abyss or something similar by Hypocrisy in preparation for the upcoming tour with Dimmu/Bodom/Nevermore. Finally, i actually bought a copy of Damage Done, as opposed to borrowing sabrina's all the time. I already knew i liked that though.

I can't wait till the Cob/Nevermore tour. It's actually two days after Symphony X, so that should be one of the best weeks ever. The only problem is, I don't like Dimmu and I hear all the other bands get short sets while Dimmu gets to play a long borathon of the same song over and over, but with different keyboard intros. *yawn*

I dont consider Bodom death metal although they are my fav band. But as far as death metal goes here are my top 5:

1.Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
2.In Flames - Whoracle
3.Morbid Angel - Covenant
4.Opeth - Blackwater Park
5.Emperor - Live Ceremony

COBSteele02 said:
5.Emperor - Live Ceremony
I don't wanna sound like i'm not doing what I preach, but this is very different. Emperor are black metal, not death.

Now, back to the subject :D

Marre79 said:
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Carcass - Heartwork & Necroticism
Carnal Forge - The More You Suffer
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage
Deathchain - Deadmeat Disciplines
Dew-Scented - Impact
Dimension Zero - Silent Night Fever & This Is Hell
Edge Of Sanity - Crimson II
Grave - Back From The Grave
Mors Principium Est - Inhumanity
The Crown - Crowned In Terror & Possessed 13
Insomnium - In The Halls Of Awaiting
Soilwork - Chainheart Machine & Steel Bath Suicide
Amon Amarth - Versus The World & The Crusher
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery & Damage Done
Norther - Dreams Of Endless War & Mirror Of Maddness

I'll think I add some more here :

Opeth - Blackwater Park & Deliverance
Dew-Scented - Inwards
Napalm Death - Order Of The Leech

NP : Testament - The Gathering - 06 - Legions Of The Dead :headbang:

Off topic : How can I add that nice "cd-picture" ??? (that some of you use)

Aight, some of my fav death metal bands are Bloodbath, Decapitated, Nile, Kataklysm, Dimension Zero, Edge Of Sanity, Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, Grave, etc.

Cool thread, Serge! And thanks for mentioning Necro and spreading the word - you rule! I'm gonna e-mail you this weekend. Although I don't play on Onset, I won't mention it here, it may seem a little arrogant. Here's my list:

Death - Individual thought patterns, Human, Symbolic
Cynic - Focus
Martyr - Warp Zone
Theory in practice - The Armageddon theories
Suffocation - Pierced from within
Decapitated - Nihility
Atheist - Unquestionable presence
Meshuggah - Destroy erase improve, Chaosphere
Dissection - Storm of the light's bane
Children of Bodom - Follow the reaper, Hatebreeder
Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges, Stigmata
Armageddon - Crossing the Rubicon
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park
Monstrosity - Millennium

Chrisz said:
Cool thread, Serge! And thanks for mentioning Necro and spreading the word - you rule! I'm gonna e-mail you this weekend. Although I don't play on Onset, I won't mention it here, it may seem a little arrogant. Here's my list:

Death - Individual thought patterns, Human, Symbolic
Cynic - Focus
Martyr - Warp Zone
Theory in practice - The Armageddon theories
Suffocation - Pierced from within
Decapitated - Nihility
Atheist - Unquestionable presence
Meshuggah - Destroy erase improve, Chaosphere
Dissection - Storm of the light's bane
Children of Bodom - Follow the reaper, Hatebreeder
Arch Enemy - Burning Bridges, Stigmata
Armageddon - Crossing the Rubicon
Opeth - Still Life, Blackwater Park
Monstrosity - Millennium

Cool Chris, haven't talked to you in a while. Nice list. I haven't heard Martyr. Any good? And as far as Monstrosity, I think it's really good tech death but my favorite song is the Angel's Venom which is on another album, I forgot which, but the rest of the album sucks.