Favorite Death Metal Albums

you know I find it really funny know one at all has mentioned Cannable Corpse...guess everyone really does think they suck :D

I absolutely love Dying Fetus....and prolly Death as a old school fav...

RobbM said:
you know I find it really funny know one at all has mentioned Cannable Corpse...guess everyone really does think they suck :D

I absolutely love Dying Fetus....and prolly Death as a old school fav...

I like Cannibal Corpse, but they're more middle of the road type death metal. All their albums are pretty enjoyable but not top 10 materia.

Dying Fetus is awesome though. :cool:

There was only one person to even mention Vital Remains, that's sad. They are THE death metal band with songs that actually sound different, because they play actual melodies, its not like any other band in the genre I've ever heard.

The other greatest death metal bands would have to be:
Kylie Minogue
Jason Becker
Outkast
and Symphony X

Yeah In Flames, Soilwork, AE, and Opeth are definetly death metal too.:tickled:

It's times like this where I'd consult www.metal-archives.com to help define CoB's sound. And according to it, they're 'power/speed metal with harsh vocals'. Seems like a pretty fitting description to me since IMO they don't really embody one specific genre. Hope that helps clear some confusion for people. :)

And as far as my favorite death metal albums go, they are:
Into Eternity - Dead or Dreaming
Nonexist - Deus Deceptor
Opeth - Blackwater Park & Still Life
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Theory in Practice - Colonizing the Sun

As you can tell, I tend to lean towards the progressive and/or melodic death side. ;)

~Meg

Willith, you must be very unfamilliar with death metal if you haven't heard death metal bands play melodies... listen to some edge of sanity, behemoth, god dethroned, and mors principium est, then say that death metal doesn't have melody (and for the record, i didn't misunderstand what you said... i know you said vital remains is the band that you have HEARD use it... just go listen to more)

I'm not getting into any more arguements about this... but who the hell put so many rules on "it has to sound like cannibal corpse to be death metal". and the thing about behemoth being less melodic than M.P.E.... what the hell was even the point of that??? Of course they are, but they still have melody and that's what the whole point was. As for vocals in death metal singing lower, what about obituary (pretty midrange death vox) or even sound of perseverance from death (very high pitched as far as death metal vocals go). Are you going to say they aren't death metal?

theodyssey said:
I'm not getting into any more arguements about this... but who the hell put so many rules on "it has to sound like cannibal corpse to be death metal". and the thing about behemoth being less melodic than M.P.E.... what the hell was even the point of that??? Of course they are, but they still have melody and that's what the whole point was. As for vocals in death metal singing lower, what about obituary (pretty midrange death vox) or even sound of perseverance from death (very high pitched as far as death metal vocals go). Are you going to say they aren't death metal?
Here are my 2 cents:
MPE riffs aren't typical death metal riffs. They remind me a lot of Dark Tranquillity, and Dark Tranquillity's riffs are pretty much standard heavy metal/power metal. Talking about Death, I don't consider anything after Human death metal (and i'm pretty sure i'm among the minority here). The music (and vocals) have no resemblance with death metal.

Anyway, don't worry about genres and opinions \m/

*rolls eyes*

This is just bullshit. I was responding more to you singeling out MPE from my response and not even touching the rest of the bands i talked about, other than comparing behemoth to MPE which i brought up on both accounts. This is the most retarded arguement i've ever participated in and i am just going to drop out now. You "win"

I bought the behemoth dvd yesterday... haven't watched the whole thing yet, but it's pretty good i guess, though i wish the drums were a little back in the mix and you could hear the guitars a little better... it's a little muddy overall. Other than that, the production is pretty good, pretty professional. good stuff.

I was into Death Metal for a good while although not so much anymore. I listened to Christian death metal (I can't wait to see the replies to this after all the category debating in here). However, I would put these bands up against any of the others in here for heaviness and musical ability.

Vengeance Rising "Human Sacrifice" The cd that started it for me. Awesome. Killer lyrics, very unique vocal style and some good lead playing

Mortification "Scrolls of the Megilloth" Arguably still the best Christian death metal cd of all time. Very fast songs with some of the best vocals I have ever heard. Their drummer at the time, Jayson Sherlock, has always been one of my favorites

Paramaecium "Exhumed of the Earth" My favorite death/doom metal cd. Slower songs but the arrangements and the mix of classical instruments/female vocals really blew me away. Andrew Tompkins is my favorite vocalist as well. Incredibly well written with some moving lyrics. Featured Jayson Sherlock on drums as well.

Crimson Thorn "Unearthed" - probably the fastest, heaviest death metal band I have ever heard. A very intense cd.

Horde "hellig usvurt" - first Christian black metal band. Terrible production but it added to the extreme, raw nature of the cd. A classic that caused an uproar in the Black metal community. Steve Row of Mortification got death threats for signing/releasing this cd.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
whats christian death metal? Death metal with preachy kind of lyrics?
It depends. Not all of the bands I would say are preachy. Crimson Thorn and Horde are a bit-hellfire and brimstone-avoid it type thing. Paramaecium are more of storytellers. Exhumed of the Earth is more or less a concept cd telling the story of Christ and his early followers. Mortification and Vengeance Rising have done both, but both bands have some pretty well written lyrics. Some of their songs surpass some death metal bands gore lyrics when they talk about the crucifixion (Paramaecium's The Killing and Mortification's Ancient Prophesy come to mind), except they are not doing it to praise violence but more to impart the reality of what happened.

sweepking said:
It depends. Not all of the bands I would say are preachy. Crimson Thorn and Horde are a bit-hellfire and brimstone-avoid it type thing. Paramaecium are more of storytellers. Exhumed of the Earth is more or less a concept cd telling the story of Christ and his early followers. Mortification and Vengeance Rising have done both, but both bands have some pretty well written lyrics. Some of their songs surpass some death metal bands gore lyrics when they talk about the crucifixion (Paramaecium's The Killing and Mortification's Ancient Prophesy come to mind), except they are not doing it to praise violence but more to impart the reality of what happened.
Sounds cool.