Votes: 2 4.0%
  • grief

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • misanthropy

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • lycanthropia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I prefer the fusion of the aggressive with the melancholy. Perhaps this is why I prefer black metal and its later mutations (post-black etc.) where straight aggression is combined with a melancholic atmosphere or sense of the mystique.

pessimism,despair,desperation,gloom,depression,anguish,grief,misery,hopelessness,lorn,loathing,disheartenment,haunting,despondency,somber,melancholy,medieval,dread,misery,etc...

ofcourse in a we're metal and can throw down some beers way!

hmm when I started listening to metal it was definetly metal!
but now I am going for melancholy.. since I noticed that lately I dont really care what style the music is, as long as it has this melancholic touch to it.. It is great to work and think to such type of music :)

I voted melancholy. Interestingly while I prefer dark, sad music to happy music (and hence listen to more of those types of music in general)... I think what moves me the most are really emotionally beautiful and joyous works of music like the Kyrie from Mozart's C Minor Mass (though this is still a rather dark sad piece at least in the Kyrie section) or his Flute and Harp concerto.

It seems that a lot of the artists I like could fall into either melancholy AND relaxation so it was hard to pick so I just went for melancholy.

Yeah, my favorite is Saudade. Maybe. I actually looked up emotions on wikipedia to find the one that most suits me. I guess add a portion of melencholy to the saudade. A sort of non specific longing for something that probably shall never be, although it might.

Or, after looking up more of this stuff, I think I found my word. Weltschmerz. Physical reality can never satisfy the demands of the mind. Sadness associated with thinking about the evils of the world. This seems to be right. I am going for the sort of longing for an ideal world that will never be. The sort of life sucks but of well, keep on trucking emotion. Those type of songs really hit me good.

I love psychodelic mood in music. But I also love depressed one, and the mood of grief, when vocalists make those single screams (Mortifera, In The Woods, Silencer, Elhaz); also angry and brutal. Emotive mood in metal is great too, and it has nothing to do with fucking "emo".

I'm a rather large fan of psychedelic. But not in a flangey/phasey 60's way, more a Mr. Bungle/Naked City off the wall kinda way. When combined with metal elements, I'm in heaven.