Favorite type of metal?

Which is your favorite

• Total voters
How is rock more creative than DM?

Besides a few bands, rock's formula is much more basic and predictable with verse/chorus/verse structure. DM's composition contains more tempo changes and more time signatures that go beyond the basic 4/4. DM goes beyond solos based in blues, chug-chug riffing, and pentatonic scales that define many rock bands in general. The use of keyboards has been covered by melodic DM bands.

Even music that has DM elements is more creative than newer rock sub-genres. Compare Dillinger Escape Plan to Nirvana or Blink 182.

Pestilence Spheres alone has 10 times the creativity than any rock band played on the radio in my area.

I was mainly referring to '60s and '70s rock bands. I don't know shit about contemporary rock, nor do I care to -- and if you want to argue that it sucks balls on creativity, I'll probably agree with you. I was just saying that comparing good rock with good DM is pretty much no contest. Death metal does not by any means have a monopoly on tempo/time changes, melodic chord progressions, or keyboard use; and it certainly did not invent any of those elements. Camel, Rush, and many other art/prog bands made plentiful use of all those elements back in the '70s.

Mathiäs;6423694 said:
The early dm albums and latest album are the only Therion albums I like. Gothic was a fucking fantastic release.

I'm in love with their symphonic stuff from the 1996-2004 period, so Kabbalah was a little hard for me to swallow (though I certainly didn't hate it). I still haven't given it much attention yet, so maybe it'll grow on me -- or maybe I'll just end up writing it off as sloppy, overpretentious pseudo-prog. :cool:

If you're looking for death metal that's melodic you should listen to Arghoslent's "Incorrigible Bigotry." I have no idea if you've already listen to them or if they've been suggested already but that album kicks ass.

Haven't heard it yet, though I'd be interested to. I've tried looking for a torrent of it, but I couldn't find one.

I'm in love with their symphonic stuff from the 1996-2004 period, so Kabbalah was a little hard for me to swallow (though I certainly didn't hate it). I still haven't given it much attention yet, so maybe it'll grow on me -- or maybe I'll just end up writing it off as sloppy, overpretentious pseudo-prog. :cool:

I hate the 96-04 shit. I highly doubt that you'll write it off though.

I was only referring to Spheres. I hate it. If we're comparing Pestilence's Death Metal output to Death's, then Pestilence wins by a landslide. Consuming Impulse, alone, destroys Death's entire catalogue.

I wont disagree with that. however, Scream Bloody Gore and Leprosy are still great albums.

Mathiäs;6425547 said:
I hate the 96-04 shit. I highly doubt that you'll write it off though.

I can't believe you hate that stuff! What didn't you like about it? And which albums have you heard? They do vary a good deal in quality.

"Prog" at its worst is pretentious bullshit, but, pretentious or not, PT, DT, and Opeth are awesome enough on their own to make it #1.

Death metal by far, with Grindcore coming in at a close second. I always loved the sheer power and brutality of both genres, and they've both produced some of my favorite bands.