Favorite type of metal?

Which is your favorite

• Total voters
My favourite would be Black metal.Thrash & Death would be 2nd jointly.I also like Doom,folk & traditional metal but just can't get that much into prog or power.
Beside metal my other favourite musical genre would be punk.I listen to classic Sex pistols to new age band Against me!(although don't have that much of a vast knowledge)Does anyone here also like punk?

I didn't say that all rock albums are like that. What I meant was that I like the consistent soundscapes over inconsistent albums which focus on songs. Also, if vihris-gari is going to judge DM on the average album, I don't have to judge rock on the best ones.

I'm pretty sure that the best rock albums have the best death metal albums vastly outdone in terms of creativity. As far as consistent soundscapes go: I can understand your preference, but I still question how much of a chance you've given rock.

vihris: You should definitely check out the albums that were recommended to you above: especially the Atheist, Phlebotomized and Therion.
I know many prog fans who really dig them.
In addition,look into:

Cadaver-...In Pains(steep learning curve but extremely rewarding at the end)

Supuration-The Cube

Basically, these albums are unconventional, progressive and experimental works in death metal, that you may find to be of great interest.

you seriously need to listen to Autopsy

Thanks for the recs. I'll keep those all on my 'next-to-listen' for death metal. I've listened to every Therion album, by the way -- the death metal ones were decent, but didn't leave much of an impression on me. The more melodic albums, of course, are fantastic. :)

vihris, I just recently (about a month ago) checked out Hawkwind. they are awesome. bizarre, but very cool.

vihris, I just recently (about a month ago) checked out Hawkwind. they are awesome. bizarre, but very cool.

Indeed they are.

My favourite would be Black metal.Thrash & Death would be 2nd jointly.I also like Doom,folk & traditional metal but just can't get that much into prog or power.
Beside metal my other favourite musical genre would be punk.I listen to classic Sex pistols to new age band Against me!(although don't have that much of a vast knowledge)Does anyone here also like punk?

Bad Religion, Wire, Dead Kennedys, Agent Orange, Mission of Burma, The Misfits, Black Flag... :headbang:

It used to be my favourite genre, before I discovered prog (and prog metal).

I love punk but choose to not associate with anyone in the scene because they are uptight assholes.

favorite bands:

Black Flag
Discharge
Antisect
Deviated Instinct
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
Siege
early Napalm Death
Heresy
Septic Death
The Ramones
The Dead Boys
Minor Threat
Dead Kennedys
Die Kreuzen
The Misfits
Cryptic Slaughter
Doom
Axegrinder
Amebix

Damn fuckin' straight. :kickass:

My favorite non-metal band of all time.

Their Lemmy-era albums are all classics. The rest of their discography is pretty patchy, but it still contains tons of cool musical ideas -- even a few decent soundscapes. :)

I'm pretty sure that the best rock albums have the best death metal albums vastly outdone in terms of creativity. As far as consistent soundscapes go: I can understand your preference, but I still question how much of a chance you've given rock.
Admittedly I don't listen to Rock besides the occasional classic rock on the radio. I did not intend to disparage rock, as that would be as silly as disparaging all of metal. I think you comparison of creativity is unfair. Death Metal is defined to a narrower spectrum than Rock so obviously it will be less creative. If it got too creative it wouldn't be death metal.

How is rock more creative than DM?

Besides a few bands, rock's formula is much more basic and predictable with verse/chorus/verse structure. DM's composition contains more tempo changes and more time signatures that go beyond the basic 4/4. DM goes beyond solos based in blues, chug-chug riffing, and pentatonic scales that define many rock bands in general. The use of keyboards has been covered by melodic DM bands.

Even music that has DM elements is more creative than newer rock sub-genres. Compare Dillinger Escape Plan to Nirvana or Blink 182.

Pestilence Spheres alone has 10 times the creativity than any rock band played on the radio in my area.

I love punk but choose to not associate with anyone in the scene because they are uptight assholes.

favorite bands:

Black Flag
Discharge
Antisect
Deviated Instinct
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles
Siege
early Napalm Death
Heresy
Septic Death
The Ramones
The Dead Boys
Minor Threat
Dead Kennedys
Die Kreuzen
The Misfits
Cryptic Slaughter
Doom
Axegrinder
Amebix

:headbang:

I love me some punk. It was more or less my gateway into metal.

How is rock more creative than DM?

Besides a few bands, rock's formula is much more basic and predictable with verse/chorus/verse structure. DM's composition contains more tempo changes and more time signatures that go beyond the basic 4/4. DM goes beyond solos based in blues, chug-chug riffing, and pentatonic scales that define many rock bands in general. The use of keyboards has been covered by melodic DM bands.

Even music that has DM elements is more creative than newer rock sub-genres. Compare Dillinger Escape Plan to Nirvana or Blink 182.

Pestilence Spheres alone has 10 times the creativity than any rock band played on the radio in my area.

Spheres is album that trumps anything Chuck Shuldiner did in Death.

::cue Chuck rolling in his grave::

Thanks for the recs. I'll keep those all on my 'next-to-listen' for death metal. I've listened to every Therion album, by the way -- the death metal ones were decent, but didn't leave much of an impression on me. The more melodic albums, of course, are fantastic. :)

The early dm albums and latest album are the only Therion albums I like. Gothic was a fucking fantastic release.

If you're looking for death metal that's melodic you should listen to Arghoslent's "Incorrigible Bigotry." I have no idea if you've already listen to them or if they've been suggested already but that album kicks ass.