Favorite type of metal?

Which is your favorite

• Total voters
not really. has he even heard European death metal or he just being an ignorant twat and basing his opinion on the genre with bands like Deicide and Cannibal Corpse?

What European DM bands do you have in mind? I'm not very well-versed in death metal, but I can say that I share 345's opinion on the genre, and that it's quite rare for me to hear a death metal song that is actually memorable, and sticks in my head after it's over.

The genre as a whole has a number of creative disadvantages. For one thing, it was founded with extremeness in mind, and the emphasis in DM songwriting and performance is typically more to 'blow away' the listener with speed, loudness, and chaos than to be diverse or memorable.

Death metal has a pretty specific formula which does not encourage experimentation, or 'straying from the norm'; such deviations often result in a backlash from fans and reviewers, as illustrated in this Morbid Angel review, where the reviewer dismisses "Angel of Disease" as 'punk metal'.

As I said earlier, a lot of extreme metal genres focus more on creating a consistent soundscape than on creating memorable music. I understand that a lot of people here prefer their music that way. However, it's not hard to see that there's a lot less brain power involved in making music that all sounds the same than there is in making unique, memorable, and sonically-diverse music.

What European DM bands do you have in mind? I'm not very well-versed in death metal, but I can say that I share 345's opinion on the genre, and that it's quite rare for me to hear a death metal song that is actually memorable, and sticks in my head after it's over.

The genre as a whole has a number of creative disadvantages. For one thing, it was founded with extremeness in mind, and the emphasis in DM songwriting and performance is typically more to 'blow away' the listener with speed, loudness, and chaos than to be diverse or memorable.

Death metal has a pretty specific formula which does not encourage experimentation, or 'straying from the norm'; such deviations often result in a backlash from fans and reviewers, as illustrated in this Morbid Angel review, where the reviewer dismisses "Angel of Disease" as 'punk metal'.

As I said earlier, a lot of extreme metal genres focus more on creating a consistent soundscape than on creating memorable music. I understand that a lot of people here prefer their music that way. However, it's not hard to see that there's a lot less brain power involved in making music that all sounds the same than there is in making unique, memorable, and sonically-diverse music.

I see your point but fail to understand the problem. I never looked for 'memorability' in metal. if I want 'catchiness' and 'memorability', I'd listen to Top 40 music.

I agree with you on this point, but you can usually find plenty of memorable death metal once you start to really grasp its intentions. I find myself humming death metal riffs all the time; the catchiness is a little less prominent but still there. Even bands like Suffocation can hold some catchiness.

While this is generally true - and more applicable to some of the genre's more well-known bands (Cannibal Corpse, Deicide) - Death Metal can be hugely creative within it's genre restrictions. This isn't to say that each song on any given Death Metal album is going to sound massively different from the last, but anyone with an ear for Death Metal should quite easily be able to distinguish the songs from one and another and remember certain parts of the album as being particularly rewarding (I know I do). Perhaps your problem is you haven't entirely developed an ear for the music? Or perhaps you just haven't heard the right albums, in which case I will recommend you these albums (all of which are highly expansive and creative):

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
Molested - Blod Draum
Phlebotomized - Immense Intense Suspense
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

If you cannot find creativity and memorability within these albums then Death Metal might just not be for you.

I have something of an ear for the music - though I haven't listened to very many death metal bands. The only ones I've really enjoyed are Morbid Angel (my favorite by far), Bolt Thrower, Benediction, Behemoth, and early Darkthrone. Of those, the only one that I listen to regularly is Morbid Angel -- I really love them.

I've tried a few other bands -- Nile, Entombed, early Tiamat, early Therion, and Terrorizer -- but none of them really did anything for me. I do put on Therion's Symphony Masses every now and then, but I'd hardly call it one of my favorites.

I have heard some really good things about Amorphis, and I plan to give them a listen very soon. I'll try and get around to the other albums you mentioned -- thanks for recommending them.

vihris: You should definitely check out the albums that were recommended to you above: especially the Atheist, Phlebotomized and Therion.
I know many prog fans who really dig them.
In addition,look into:

Cadaver-...In Pains(steep learning curve but extremely rewarding at the end)

Supuration-The Cube

Basically, these albums are unconventional, progressive and experimental works in death metal, that you may find to be of great interest.

Well I prefer having a consistent soundscape rather than an album consisting of a few good songs and a bunch of filler.

Don't support you statement or anything

Fine. To say that rock albums consist of a few good songs and a bunch of filler is preposterous. You obviously haven't listened to even one 'classic', so for you to even have an opinion is ridiculous.

I didn't say that all rock albums are like that. What I meant was that I like the consistent soundscapes over inconsistent albums which focus on songs. Also, if vihris-gari is going to judge DM on the average album, I don't have to judge rock on the best ones.

I find it interesting how black metal is the most popular genre on this board. The genre certainly has less fans than heavy metal or death metal. This forum was designed to cater to fans of all genres of metal, yet black metal seems to be the center of gravity in the collective genre pool of posters' tastes here.

Well yeah, there's only about 10,000 threads about black metal on this forum so it's pretty obvious.

I have something of an ear for the music - though I haven't listened to very many death metal bands. The only ones I've really enjoyed are Morbid Angel (my favorite by far), Bolt Thrower, Benediction, Behemoth, and early Darkthrone. Of those, the only one that I listen to regularly is Morbid Angel -- I really love them.

I've tried a few other bands -- Nile, Entombed, early Tiamat, early Therion, and Terrorizer -- but none of them really did anything for me. I do put on Therion's Symphony Masses every now and then, but I'd hardly call it one of my favorites.

I have heard some really good things about Amorphis, and I plan to give them a listen very soon. I'll try and get around to the other albums you mentioned -- thanks for recommending them.

you seriously need to listen to Autopsy