Favorite year in Metal

Umodian

Satanic as Hell
Aug 16, 2011
Denmark
Title says it all... What's your favorite year in metal?
Could be because of some noteworthy releases, big events or just anything else you can think of.

Personally I'd have to go with 1985 for all the big albums that really kick-started extreme metal. (Hell Awaits, To Mega Therion, Seven Churches just to name a few of the obvious)
As well as all of the more underground releases, all of which would later have a big influence on upcoming bands.

What about you?

1984 had at least Bathory, Hail to England, Sign of the Hammer, Morbid Tales, Powerslave, Bon Jovi, Rising Force, W.A.S.P. and In the Sign of Evil.

1995-1996 had Storm of the Light's Bane, Tusen År Har Gått, Secrets of the Black Arts, Wraths of Time, Far Away From the Sun, Welcome My Last Chapter, Vox Clamentis, Latex Cult, Nord and so many other good albums it's hard to count.

1985 is up there for producing the most of my very favorites (aside from maybe 1993) with Watchtower, Exodus, Megadeth, Overkill, and Fates Warning, as well as being a pioneering year for early extreme metal and having a few excellent cult releases as well. 1984 and 1988 had more albums in the realm of great or better, though. Although 1990 kind of balances between both for me. I dunno.

1984 was a top year for Metal releases.

A few of the great 1984 albums: Ride The Lightning, Metal Church, Bathory, At War with Satan, Powerslave, Don't Break the Oath, Defenders of the Faith, The Last in Line, Hail to England, King of the Dead, Stay Hungry, Rising Force, Heavy Metal Breakdown, Crusader, Saint Vitus...:worship:

I'll go with the year after I was born, 1989.

A chunk of important death metal albums.

Atheist - Piece of Time
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
Macabre - Gloom
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Terrorizer - World Downfall

83 on up for the "golden age" of thrash up unto the early 90's death metal scene.

but if i had to choose a favorite, it would be the 83-85 period .. but i was born 84, so if i had to pick which year was the most special to me it would have to be 95 or 96. Thats when i started buying a shit-load of music from the used record shops around where i grew up, started getting shirts and going to shows ... ahh the good old days.:)

As a black metal fan, it's gotta be 1994: Transylvanian Hunger, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, In the Nightside Eclipse, Caparthian Wolves, Dark Medieval Times, Vikingligr Veldi, DMDS, Hail Santanas We are the Black Legions... and that's just off the top of my head.

I'll go with the year after I was born, 1989.

A chunk of important death metal albums.

Atheist - Piece of Time
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos
Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness
Macabre - Gloom
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
Terrorizer - World Downfall
TERRORIZER IS GRIND Br0sef!!

1984 had at least Bathory, Hail to England, Sign of the Hammer, Morbid Tales, Powerslave, Bon Jovi, Rising Force, W.A.S.P. and In the Sign of Evil.

1995-1996 had Storm of the Light's Bane, Tusen År Har Gått, Secrets of the Black Arts, Wraths of Time, Far Away From the Sun, Welcome My Last Chapter, Vox Clamentis, Latex Cult, Nord and so many other good albums it's hard to count.

Great choices

1985 is up there for producing the most of my very favorites (aside from maybe 1993) with Watchtower, Exodus, Megadeth, Overkill, and Fates Warning, as well as being a pioneering year for early extreme metal and having a few excellent cult releases as well. 1984 and 1988 had more albums in the realm of great or better, though. Although 1990 kind of balances between both for me. I dunno.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. And 1990 is definitely awesome; RIP, By Inheritance, Slaughter in the Vatican etc. etc. Good stuff. :Smokedev:

Also... I think I prefer 1991 for Death Metal overall... But I still need to listen to a lot of the classics.