Favourite drum tones?

I agree Gareth.

Generally, I tend to like that kind of "production" stuff, but when it comes to LOG they just need to do what they do well- which is the dissonant gymnastic riffs with mathy drums at 200bpm. I didn't like Sacrament much because everything seemed so dense and filled up with non-essential "sweetening".

Not really one of my favorite bands, but no doubt my favorite drum tone EVER... I can't get enough of these drum sounds. That kick is beyond insane to me...

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really one of my favorite bands, but no doubt my favorite drum tone EVER... I can't get enough of these drum sounds. That kick is beyond insane to me...

GOJIRA!!!!

Bobby

this would have got a mention from me if id have even remembered of its existence
its not in my winamp cos it sort of bores me a bit musically, but that drum sound is also one of my favourites of all time

Fuck yes Symbolic and The Way of All Flesh.

Here's another that people might not have heard (youtube rapes it a bit unfortunately) - good mix all round, and some damn catchy death-with-melody if you can get around the vocals (I can!)

Really like this one for the cut and separation. Nice poppy snare.

Also really like the drum sound on Spawn of Possession's Noctambulant. Kinda raw but it actually sounds like a real drummer playing some fucking hard songs!

I can see why they get thrown into that nu metal category but they were so much better than them other bands like korn and limp bizkit.

but yeah, Maybe from "growing up" around that era (I was around 13 or 14 when those albums came out) kinda shapes your preferance for different instruments. I perfer my drums pretty dry where the room is more perceived than up front and in your face. short cracky snares tuned pretty high. Clicky kicks, etc.

Yeah I can respect those sounds too. If there's anything that's changed as I've done this for a living it's that I can see the merits in just about everything, as long as it suits the band.

Disturbed were definitely riding that 'nu' bandwagon though. I got 'The Sickness' again the other day, and listened to it for the first time in maybe half a decade. That nu-metal sound was the first thing that popped up. Not saying it's bad or anything... I mean we have much worse shit out there to contend with these days. I would rather poke toothpicks in my dick than listen to Attack Attack, much less take issue with Limp Bizkit these days.

@rclamer: Yes, The Way of All Flesh has an absolutely GODLY kick sound. In fact it's probably the closest thing to a perfect metal kick I've ever heard. It almost matches Randy's kicks on 'All the Right Reasons' (though they have too much sub to be used on fast metal, so they are rock only).

Cheers Marcus! :D

If I had to choose a 100% natural sound I love it would be this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGp53Lb-vI

Kick was replaced 30% with an old-school Ddrum module according to Jonas (the drummer). Really like that drum tone. Sure the kick's a bit on the triggery side, but the drums on Evergrey's In Search of Truth's are so goddamn punchy, especially the toms! Also Evergrey's first album had a GODLIKE kick sound, I don't know how they got that back in '96.

I LOVE the drums on Nightrage's Sweet Vengeance. So roomy and natural, the fucking blastbeats on Macabre Apparation sound awesome!

I am currently loving Jens Bogren's drum sounds, esp. the last 2 Opeth albums and Katatonia of course.

+1 to Testament's The Gathering (though I'm not too fond of the album or Testament for that matter, I will say it's their best imo.)

Although the kick and toms sound VERY plasticky-triggery, the cymbals on Angra's Temple of Shadows SLAY. Adds a real lushness to the mix somehow.

Oh shit here's another one that I really love. I'd like to think it's all natural but I guess we won't find out unless Mr Kernon comes back to posting..
Showed this to Ermin years ago when I was first getting into audio and he didn't like it (maybe it was the music he didn't like?).

I LOVE the natural drumsound of Nicko on POWERSLAVE (´84). The toms sounded awesome!

Metallica´s Black Album is one of my faves, too.

For the modern stuff, I´d choose GOJIRA "the way of all flesh".

(maybe it was the music he didn't like?).

maybe it just sounds really bad :)
i have to admit i quite dig it for the whole lo-fi badly produced death metal thing, but still.

edit:
gotta add another

The Way of All Flesh kick is pretty damn good, but the attack is just a little too sharp and "kik-kiky" (onomatopoeia-wise) to be perfect to me - to quote Aaron, I love a sorta "soggy" splat attack on kicks, especially this one (apologies for youtube quality)

I just love how the attack is suck a punchy smack, with very little click (and what a fucking intro, too bad the rest of the song never matches that intensity IMO :()

my favorite drum sounds.

The Way of All Flesh kick is pretty damn good, but the attack is just a little too sharp and "kik-kiky" (onomatopoeia-wise) to be perfect to me - to quote Aaron, I love a sorta "soggy" splat attack on kicks, especially this one (apologies for youtube quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWEMAjrmpc4

I just love how the attack is suck a punchy smack, with very little click (and what a fucking intro, too bad the rest of the song never matches that intensity IMO :()

the snare lets that mix down :(

Haha, yeah, I never really noticed until you mentioned it, but it does sound pretty thin and wimpy doesn't it :lol: (especially in that youtube vid though, but still) But it's all about that kick man (though I would've raised the volume of it slightly if I were the mix engineer, but the sound still gives me many many ear boners)

Splatty kicks are cool too. Really depends on what suits the music most.

What I'm really amazed by is that nobody has mentioned Paramore's RIOT here. People were going gaga for that snare, and now that it 'leaked' as a sample it seems everyone is finally sick of that drum sound :lol:

PS. CLA's mix for the new Paramore would have to include the basis for my favourite 80s thrash metal snare, if only a sizable chamber/room was applied behind it.