Female fronted bands I've just gotten into...

Beyond shocked that NOBODY's mentioned the first well known female fronted rock band, who even had a #1 single on the Billboard pop charts (One Tin Soldier {The Ballad of Billie Jack} )!!!!!

Coven (with Jinx Dawson). http://www.myspace.com/jinxdawsoncoven.

What's even freakier is that the bassist's name was Oz Osbourne and their first album, with the full length Satanic Black Mass was from 1969.

Ah yes, Coven from Chicago - with the ten minute plus recording of a legitimate Satanic black mass...Witchcraft Destroys Mind's and Reaps Souls!

Beyond shocked that NOBODY's mentioned the first well known female fronted rock band, who even had a #1 single on the Billboard pop charts (One Tin Soldier {The Ballad of Billie Jack} )!!!!!

Coven (with Jinx Dawson). http://www.myspace.com/jinxdawsoncoven.

What's even freakier is that the bassist's name was Oz Osbourne and their first album, with the full length Satanic Black Mass was from 1969.

Wrong!!!!! The first well know female fronted bands were Jefferson Airplane, and It's A Beautiful Day, both of these bands had songs that hit the billboard charts before Coven exsisted.

The song "One Tin Soldier" was written by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter and first recorded by a Canandian band Original Caste in 1969 and only had fleeting success in Canada. Coven recorded it in 1971 and re-recorded it in 1973, the Highest it ever went on the Charts was #24, because of legal battles with the film company that produced the movie "Billy Jack"

One thing Coven is credited with being first band to ever throw the metal horns while on stage.

Here's a pretty awesome female fronted band SHOCKER STALIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Only a couple of days ago I found this awsome bandcalled Triosphere hailing from Trondheim, Norway .

Vocalist/bassist Ida Haukland has quite "old school metal" voice which makes her unique among the current trand of female metal singers who tend to sing either classical or guttural style. And her bass playing is also something to pay attention to. Do we have here the female answer to Marco Hietala?

This song is from their sophomore album "The Road Less Traveled" released last week in Europe and through iTunes

and this song "Onwards pt 2" comes from their debut album "Onwards" (2006)

www.myspace.com/triosphere

www.thetriosphere.com

thanks to whomever it was that mentioned Kells:headbang: I have been checking them out. I really like that.!!!!!

If I am going to push a female front act (there are SO many that I like) it would be Venturia. I have seen them mentioned on here already, but they are so awsome. I keep a copy of hybrid in my car at all times cause it just seems to fit every mood.

Here is a band that has really improved over time, gotten heavier, and darker. I never really liked them on their first albums but their 4th one really caught my attention. Oh yeah and they are some of the nicest folks to talk to, and hang out with.

Here is a band that has really improved over time, gotten heavier, and darker. I never really liked them on their first albums but their 4th one really caught my attention. Oh yeah and they are some of the nicest folks to talk to, and hang out with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z-a-KGY0x8

Didn't care much for them when I caught their live show, plus the singer (who has been replaced) sucked. However, the guys in the band seemed like they were having the time of their lives on stage.

I guess I could give them another chance.

Didn't care much for them when I caught their live show, plus the singer (who has been replaced) sucked. However, the guys in the band seemed like they were having the time of their lives on stage.

I guess I could give them another chance.

Yes, Tanja Lainio is a much, much better singer than their first one.

Yes, Tanja Lainio is a much, much better singer than their first one.

You know, unfortunately I just realized that it was in fact Tanja that I caught live opening for Nightwish. For some reason I thought the replaced her, but now I realize it was Visions of Atlantis who replaced a singer. Tanja acted much more SpiceGirl-like than Annette does in Nightwish. And her live voice was obnoxious, bordering the one of a 13 year old.

I will give them another chance, as I said. However, I am not keeping my expectations high at all.

So it just occurred to me that it isn't female fronted bands, in and of themselves, that I don't like. Rather, it's the styles of Metal music that women are typically involved with. It seems that the preponderance of female vocalists front Metal bands which fall into one of four styles; Beauty/Beast, operatic style vocals, Pop music marketed as Metal, and Goth. It seems there are very few bands with female lead singers who fall outside these categories. And unfortunately, I don't care for any of these styles. That said, I'd love to see women start to front more traditional Metal acts, ala Amaran and Sinergy.

See, I'm starting to miss the old Zod days...

You're starting to get weird. :lol:
LOL. Yeah… my tastes are definitely evolving. Although I can't ever foresee a day where Metal isn't the dominant musical form in my life, I suspect the role of other genres will grow. The reality is, I've been listening to Metal for 25 years. During that time I've built quite an extensive mental catalog. The chance of a band doing something I've never heard before, grows more remote each yar. And for a band to impress me, against the backdrop of all that's preceded them, is also a more complex task. As a point of reference, in 2003 I bought 96 CDs. That number has been declining every year. This year, although I've purchased 28 CDs, only 9 have been 2010 Metal releases.

So it just occurred to me that it isn't female fronted bands, in and of themselves, that I don't like. Rather, it's the styles of Metal music that women are typically involved with. It seems that the preponderance of female vocalists front Metal bands which fall into one of four styles; Beauty/Beast, operatic style vocals, Pop music marketed as Metal, and Goth. It seems there are very few bands with female lead singers who fall outside these categories. And unfortunately, I don't care for any of these styles. That said, I'd love to see women start to front more traditional Metal acts, ala Amaran and Sinergy.

How bout this band Zod, Straight line Stitch from Nashville Tenn. Oh she does all the vocals

I like most of those genres but only specific ones. The goth type is really overdone nowadays. However, I really do like female power metal stuff, like old Whit Skull and most recently, Crystal Viper.