Female fronted bands I've just gotten into...

Although these are long out of print & hard to find, "Timystery","Agitation",& "Invasion" feature the vocals of a Yoko Kubata,who is basically a dead ringer for Leather Leone:kickass:Although some of the vocals are in Japanese ,this girl can belt it out pretty damn good!!:headbang:Excellent melody lines & one of the best Japanese shredders on guitar!!:Smokin:
Krusty

Although these are long out of print & hard to find, "Timystery","Agitation",& "Invasion" feature the vocals of a Yoko Kubata,who is basically a dead ringer for Leather Leone:kickass:Although some of the vocals are in Japanese ,this girl can belt it out pretty damn good!!:headbang:Excellent melody lines & one of the best Japanese shredders on guitar!!:Smokin:
Krusty

I remember Leather Leone, Chastains singer right?

Yep....and she is doing a damn good job of staying out of the biz. Even Chastain can't locate her.:mad:

David Chastain's exact words to Bobbie (BlackRoseMetalHeart) were "I haven't spoken to Leather since 1990."

Come back, Leather, we miss you!

My favorite female-fronted metal band (next to Doro) I have not seen mentioned yet....

Oratory

One of the most UNDERRATED bands EVER, IMO.
they kind of disappeared, I have no idea if they still exist. Check out songs like "Beyond Earth" and "Your Glory won't Last Forever"

Krusty
Sounds like it would be great to check out ... if I can ever find that era of their material. It looks like Saber Tiger are still together - http://www.myspace.com/akihitokinoshita - Pretty cool stuff ... although their current singer has a bit of an androgynous look in the photos they've posted so I can't tell if it's a guy or girl. :lol:

Did the singer you speak of (Yoko Kubota) go off, disappear and become a veterinarian like Leather Leone? (At least, that's the rumor I've heard about Chastain's former singer.)

You can at least find the Chastain stuff now that they've started to do the reissues of the Leather era stuff. "Mystery of Illusion" and "Ruler of the Wasteland" kick my ass every time I play them.

Although I think Chastain will remain my "White Whale" (as Glenn might put it) for FotV, seeing as they still have members who do exist in the music world, it's just unlikely that we will see them reuniting to play the "Chastain" material (especially the Leather era stuff) anytime soon. David is too busy with his "Southern Gentleman" band and solo projects and Kate French (the most current Chastain vocalist) is busy with Vainglory (who I think are currently working on a new album).

A fantastic gothic melodic death metal band out of Israel I haven't seen mentioned here yet, Distorted. Lots of middle eastern folk influences injected, not as dynamic as Orphaned Land, but similar, so fans of them should check these guys (and gal) out!

Yeah, too bad Anneke isn't in the band anymore; not quite sure what to expect from their next album, I guess we'll see. Anneke's new thing 'Agua de Annique' sounds decent though.

:OMG:geez... I have been so bad at keeping up with bands that this is news to me! Talk about living under a rock... or letting your life take over! :lol:

Wow, she was like 50% of what made that band so awesome...

My favourite non-defunct female-fronted metal band is Madder Mortem. They sound very original to my ears and their vocalist has one of the most powerful female voices in metal.
This.

I blind bought Deadlands years ago... hated it... shelved it... ignored the band until now. Just started listening to Eight Ways. Not sure if the band envolved, my tastes evolved or some combination there of, but I'm loving this disc. Going to have to revisit Deadlands.

Zod

This.

I blind bought Deadlands years ago... hated it... shelved it... ignored the band until now. Just started listening to Eight Ways. Not sure if the band envolved, my tastes evolved or some combination there of, but I'm loving this disc. Going to have to revisit Deadlands.

Zod

<gasp> Zod loving a female-fronted band? What is the world coming to?

This.

Zod
Madder Mortem have evolved, but I think that through all the changes they have still managed to maintain their specific sound. "Eight Ways" is definitely their most varied album thus far. Compared to "Deadlands" (which has been my favourite Madder Mortem album until now, but "Eight Ways" might change this), the metal parts have been reduced, but they are still there and the heaviest parts are usually preceded by very soft parts, which makes for bigger contrasts. Maybe you should also try their previous album "Desiderata", which is somewhere between "Deadlands" and "Eight Ways" music-wise. You find several songs from that album on youtube.

And here's the promo-clip of "Armour" (which you probably already know), possibly the most "commercial" song on "Eight Ways":

And here's the jazz-influenced "Where Dream And Day Collide" (one of my faves on "Eight Ways"):

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to recommend people here to check Viveynne. A young gifted composer, singer, keyboardist that launched her debut EP this year. IMO she had the feeling that bands like Within Temptation had in the beginning and lost in the last albums (with the advantage of no male vocals).

Check her music at: http://www.myspace.com/viveynne

Listen to "Lost" on Beautiful Sin's The Unexpected and then listen to "The Departed (Sun's Going Down)" on Helloween's The Dark Ride and then tell me they don't sound much alike. :lol:

LOL holy hell... the Dark Ride is my fav Helloween album, I went to BEautiful Sin's myspace and I'm like.. wtf?!

Brings to mind an ancient (lol) similarity between a band called Wrath and Laaz Rocket (which I believe someone helped me out on here with the song titles which escape me yet again).

On another note I just went through most of this thread this morning listening to the soundclips provided and liked a few of these bands; Crystal Viper, Luna Mortis, Ironica, Kells, Vainglory, Triosphere and Hellowe*cough& Beautiful Sin.

Another cool thing .. THANKS for posting that Fear of God video, what a great release that was...