FIFA 2010 World Cup Thread

well there's question marks over puyol these days not to mention the full backs, and holland's defense is generally considered to be their weak link although they were pretty tight in qualifying. holland should be pretty solid defensively even if the defenders are dodgy just because they have those two holding midfielders in there though - i was surprised with how easily denmark were coming through the middle in the first half of that game.

don't get me wrong btw, i'm not expecting spain to concede very often, but that's more because of how amazing their ball retention is. i can see them being dodgy on set pieces.

Though Spain's defence is probably it's weakest link, it is still quite formidable IMO. I'd rate Pique as one of the best young CBs in the world. His performances will be an enormous factor in Spain's chances IMO. Moreover even Puyol looks quite fit. Maybe he's a bit out of his element to be an effectice RWB, but as a CB he ought to be good.

And you're right, I don't see how teams will get past Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta easily.

wish we never sold pique :( although a fit rio/vidic/evans is great anyway i guess

it's a shame there's no senna in the spain squad, senna mopping up just behind xavi and iniesta used to be awesome, i guess he's getting on a bit though.

you really think busquets is awful though dude? could you elaborate on that? (i'm seriously interested 'cause i've only seen him a few times).

wish we never sold pique :( although a fit rio/vidic/evans is great anyway i guess

it's a shame there's no senna in the spain squad, senna mopping up just behind xavi and iniesta used to be awesome, i guess he's getting on a bit though.

you really think busquets is awful though dude? could you elaborate on that? (i'm seriously interested 'cause i've only seen him a few times).

Fellow Utd supporter :kickass:

I wonder why Joaquin was overlooked. Probably having a right winger might be surplus to their requirements considering their formation but who knows if it might've come in handy?

Same here [@ the Busquets bit], because I've seen him quite a few times and he seems quite in synergy with Xavi and Iniesta. Moreover, you can't possibly argue that it isn't one heck of a midfield combo.

What's your take on Spain's formation?

Did anyone happen to see the sign that one of the North Korean fans had at the game against Brazil yesterday? It said something like "Kim Jong ll thinks I'm at work". :lol:
The speaker also said that four of North Korea's players were simply listed as "absent". Mysterious, perhaps they used the opportunity of the world cup to escape.

lol!

this thread should be merged with the other one

Woohoo! Spain lost their opening game. Hell, i'm fuckin happy. I was waiting for something like this to happen. Though, i think Spain will improve greatly in their upcoming matches.

I don't know why France is playing poorly. If you look at their team, they have good experienced players.

1 Their coach is shite. (and I mean so shite, he doesn't even look like he 'cares'.. I don't think he can even pretend to have any affiliation with the team. He needs a wooden plank hit against his face to wack him out of whatever buzz he's under)

2 There is rift among the players.

3 The players hate the coach.

Yeah. This World Cup is full of surprises. I'm happy that the Germans lost. They should calm the fuck down. Everyone thought they were the big boys, when they beat Australia 4-0.

haha to be fair i think we're more likely to see the germany of the first game than the second game as the tournament goes on; the refereeing was frustrating them right from the start and they were getting really pissy, then lost a man which made it worse. serbia are a good side, it was never going to look as easy as the aussie game anyway.

anyone seriously consider england's algeria draw much of a surprise? maybe we just shouldn't even talk about that.

the england team can suck my nuts. a bunch of overpaid, lazy cunts (although the pressure from the press etc. hardly helps 'em)

putting my very very small amount of national pride aside, this tournament is looking really interesting. i'm rooting for slovenia, they play aggressively and are pretty fun to watch. + metal camp is in slovenia and metal camp is awesome.

the england team can suck my nuts. a bunch of overpaid, lazy cunts

Why dont you tell us how you really feel!?!:lol:

I am seriously liking some of these big-name, big-country teams losing. Yes its still early, but this, as my Italy lays quietly in the weeds. A quality team that nobody likes...too old, etc. They find a way especially when it really counts...hoping this trend can somehow continue?