• Damage Done

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • Character

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Fiction

Votes: 19 14.4%

• Total voters
I'll vote for The Gallery for two reasons:
a) it contains my all-time favourite song, Lethe.
b) if The Gallery wins, the band will be pissed off that people still think it's their best album, even though they probably thought that with Fiction they finally topped it, so they'll be forced to try even harder and thus make the next album a killer one. :D

:lol: har har har.

I'll vote for Damage Done, I think they topped The Gallery with that one. Heck for all I know they topped TG with Projector, but DD is the best one IMO.

Damage Done!!! :headbang:

I love every album though, each moves me in a different way :) .

Casting a vote in this matter will require a thorough delve into the brilliance that is known as the discography of DT (a dreadful task I know but one must sacrifice them for the greater good). I suspect that the final battle will be held with The Mind’s I and Projector but who knows; maybe this rigid mind of mine will surprise me.

Edit: Haven will probably get 0 votes but I think it's one of those great albums. ;)

Actually, I'm surprised it has so few votes at the moment. Even though I find Haven the only DT-album that lost its "spark" after a couple of years (I hope the remastered version will rekindle it), it always seemed to have a great many supporters, both on this forum and other sites - far more than Projector, for example.

Of course, Projector is such a polarizing album that people often end up either hating it, or loving it - only a few people seem to be somewhere between. Personally, I may belong to either of those camps depending on my mood: often I feel like it's their weakest effort, but certain times I consider it the greatest piece of music ever made. It's the only album I feel that strongly about.

What surprises me the most in these results, however, is that Character is ahead of Fiction and Damage Done. Even though I loved Character when it came out (and still do), I was under the impression not too many people thought it was better than DD. Then, when Fiction was released, I thought most people felt like me: Fiction took all the best parts of Character and added a bunch of new, equally great elements to create the best DT album ever. It appears I was alone feeling that way.

-Villain

Actually, I'm surprised it has so few votes at the moment. Even though I find Haven the only DT-album that lost its "spark" after a couple of years (I hope the remastered version will rekindle it), it always seemed to have a great many supporters, both on this forum and other sites - far more than Projector, for example.

Of course, Projector is such a polarizing album that people often end up either hating it, or loving it - only a few people seem to be somewhere between. Personally, I may belong to either of those camps depending on my mood: often I feel like it's their weakest effort, but certain times I consider it the greatest piece of music ever made. It's the only album I feel that strongly about.

What surprises me the most in these results, however, is that Character is ahead of Fiction and Damage Done. Even though I loved Character when it came out (and still do), I was under the impression not too many people thought it was better than DD. Then, when Fiction was released, I thought most people felt like me: Fiction took all the best parts of Character and added a bunch of new, equally great elements to create the best DT album ever. It appears I was alone feeling that way.

-Villain

I've always and will always love Projector :) . Right DD and Character have 3 votes and Haven finally has one ( :) ), but I'm very surprised that Fiction has only one.

I actually agree with you on that last bit, Fiction improved on Character in many ways. I voted for Character because its my favorite, sentimentality and all (it was the album that got me into DT). I didn't vote for the album that I thought was musically strongest, or the best representation or whatever (not saying that's what anyone else did either). I just voted for my favorite. I really didn't put that much thought into it :p.

I knew that lots of people preferred Character over Damage Done (even though imo DD>Character), especially the newer fans, but i would also think that everyone deems Fiction as superior.

We should have a "what's your least favourite DT album" thread and a "which DT album do you hate most" one. Character would win both for me.*

*It might be a good album musically, but i never connected to it, and i find that every passing day makes it easier for me to dislike it.

I knew that lots of people preferred Character over Damage Done (even though imo DD>Character), especially the newer fans, but i would also think that everyone deems Fiction as superior.

We should have a "what's your least favourite DT album" thread and a "which DT album do you hate most" one. Character would win both for me.*

*It might be a good album musically, but i never connected to it, and i find that every passing day makes it easier for me to dislike it.

I was actually thinking of doing one like that too hehe.

especially the newer fans

Well, we didn't all get into them with the first generation (early other Gothenburg included), or the second one necessarily. I don't consider myself that young, and I was 10 years old when Projector came out (11 with Haven). Given that around that time I wasn't listening to metal (how many 10/11 year olds do you know that listen to metal period? Much less good metal? just saying), I don't feel remiss for getting into them with Character. That album found me at the right time and that was that.

Older fans/other situations are totally understandable, however.

@DoC: I got into them between Haven and Damage Done, and i don't consider myself that old. :p
With the above quote i only meant the wave of new fans i noticed getting into DT with Character, who (as i said above) i found natural to prefer Character for that reason. I didn't mean to be or sound condescending.

Gallery / Skydancer were my first, I think I got them at the time Mind's I came out.

Of course, Projector is such a polarizing album that people often end up either hating it, or loving it - only a few people seem to be somewhere between.

Stanne's clean vocals on that album are not good. It has one of my favorite DT songs, Nether Novas, but I think on the balance that album feels really off. The production, Stanne's clean vocals, it just doesn't do it for me. I got it when it had just came out, and maybe because my initial reaction to it was negative I'll always view it as DT's worst album (I'm not a fan of Character, either). Don't mean to start the Projector argument, but I always felt people who liked it, like it because it took the band musically in the direction they are now. And it's not an album without merit, but I still think it's their weakest album. I also think Haven did more for their newer sound than Projector did, so I disagree with the view that Projector was all that important as well...

Hard choice! :D

The Gallery, I still think it is their best album.
Find me an album with an opener like Punish My Heaven (that is IMHO the best song ever written in the history of music), which presents a spectrum of emotions so wide, so deep and that can take you away from the daily routine, travelling in thoughts of gold melancholy... find me an album like this and maybe I can change my mind.

P.S: And I love them all, I feel like they're all masterpieces, but there's a difference from a marvellous girl and the love of your life ;)

@DoC: I got into them between Haven and Damage Done, and i don't consider myself that old. :p
With the above quote i only meant the wave of new fans i noticed getting into DT with Character, who (as i said above) i found natural to prefer Character for that reason. I didn't mean to be or sound condescending.

:p No big deal, I wasn't trying to make it as such. I just thought it was funny because I guess I really am very much of the new generation of fans, but talking with you all as frequently as I have has lended me the mindset of the older generation of fans. I certainly care about and have listened to a ton of the back catalog, so its not as if I'm unfamiliar. I don't know, just thought it was interesting. I didn't find you condescending at all. :)

Believe it or not, but I think I am going to go with Character. All of their albums are excellent, and I quite like Projector and Haven, and feel they are pretty under-rated. That said, I think Character was their strongest album to date.

I can't really choose one since depending on the mood I'm in, I prefer a different album.
One day I could say Projector is my favorite, then the next I'd say Skydancer.

After going through the studio albums I still find that Projector holds the #1 spot in my books, with The Mind’s I following. :cool:

I can't find the option for "all of them".
The newest one was always my favourite at the time of it's release.

For nostalgic purposes, and since it was my first album by DT, and because I just listened to it I am gonna go with Projector for now.

Nether novas and The sun fired blanks should always be in the live set.

I love every single one of Dark Tranquillitys albums so this is impossible. I picked the Minds I but Damage Done was a very close second. Too many good albums, how can they possibly stay this consistently awesome over so many albums and years?