Folk music in metal

Anything in particular?

If you want bands, ummm, Sepultura (Roots), Otyg, possibly Havayoth, Finntroll etc.. (not sure, I haven't heard these bands).

Go to the Vintersorg forum (it's here at UM), there is a folk metal thread, and alot of them are into that type of thing (Vintersorg being kinda folky, and he's in Otyg as well).

You could also try bands like Cruachan (especially their last two albums, haven't heard their first). Primordial, Skyclad, Waylander and some other Irish bands. Another good folk band (that has nothing to do with metal musically though) is Hagalaz Runedance.

This is my favorite kind of metal, and I can recommend these:

Primordial, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Absu, early Ulver, some Enslaved.. Especially Fintroll and Moonsorrow (both finnish) are good...

Check out some Viking metal. It is rich in folk influence and Northern folk concepts. Here are a few Viking/folk influenced bands.

Kampfar, Otyg, Storm, Behemoth ("Sventevith" or "Grom" albums), Finntroll, Wongraven (ambient), Pazuzu (medieval ambient), Falkenbach, Graveland ("Thousand Swords" and after), Thyrfing, Vargavinter, Mithotyn, Summoning, Tenhi

Try Ulver - Bergtatt and Burzum - Det Som Engang Var, Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem which have folk elements. Maybe try ATG - Red In The Sky Is Ours, a lot of the songs on that have folk style violins in.

well this u should try: Ensiferum, finnish folkmelodic death metal band.its a new band but has been very successful in finnish metal circles

To me "folk" music as far as American folk music goes is music, generally acoustic guitar or piano based with vocals that tell a story. John Prine, the well known Bob Dylan, Joan Baez etc. are artists I consider folk. A metal band named Heaven re-invented "Knocking on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan well before the Guns and Roses version and did a much better job as well. I don't really know many metal bands that re-recorded songs that were originally recorded by folk artists.
I also would have a hard time trying to think of bands that "tell a story" in their lyrics as that would be a pretty massive list, but I will say that my personal favorite band that was exceptional at story telling is Metal Church.
Metal Church peaked in about 1988 with an album titled "Blessing in Disguise" but this album was the antithesis of a concept album. Every song had a completely different idea behind it. For example "Rest in Pieces (April 15 1912)" was the story of the Titanic. Another track titled "Of Unsound Mind" was Metal Church's rendition of the Edgar Allen Poe classic "'The Tell Tale Heart."
While Metal Church sounds nothing like folk music, they always stick out in my mind with their ability to tell a story. While they are certainly far from the only band that does this, I think they were greatly overlooked as a band that produced outstanding lyrics.
As far as "folk" music in terms of old indeginous (sp?) music to a certain country or region, I think you might find Angra incorporates some of that in their music. Especially on "Rebirth" Angra includes very earthy sounding bongo type drums and other tribal sounds into the CD. I personally wasn't crazy about the CD but many people enjoy it. :p

Folk music has a depressive elements in it. Some Death or Black Metal bands and maybe Thrash Metal can deal with this kind of elements for broading their musical and lyrical expressions

I recommend Isengard-Høstmørke (Fenriz from Darkthrone doing his folk - it has some humorous aspects to it as well, no doubt. Most lyrics are in Norwegian), Satyricon-The Shadowthrone (a song like Vikingland has a lot of folk in it) and I also like Vintersorg (mostly Swedish lyrics) a lot, but there is more folk in the stuff prior to the Cosmic Genesis album. The acoustic Ulver album, Kveldssanger, is packed with folk... and it is great, even though it is acoustic.. also try the Ulver album Bergtatt, which is more black metal, but with very nice melodic folk parts..(Norwegian lyrics).

Cheers!

Concerning folk and metal i particularly recommend any skyclad cd.
this band has shown an amazing evolution, from folk thrash, to folk metal and crossing even prog folk rock on some of their stuff.
A must !
Despite a change of line up, they still rule. their last one is very good -and very different from what they have previously done.

check their official site :
http://www.skyclad.co.uk

Apart from that, subway to sally, in extremo, waylander, cruachan, too many bands to put here...

N.B. : yeah hagalaz runedance rules!!!