for you guitarists-the lack of Alexi's Vibrato

Firefest9

Hypocrisy rules!!!!!
Jan 18, 2002
Las Cruces, NM
Visit site
hey folks,
I have never posted on here. Im always on the Dark Tranquillity, hypocrisy and dan swano forums.

I have been listening to Bodom since 1998. I just noticed something today. alexi has no vibrato in most of his solos. Why is this? He uses the tremolo to kinda emulate it sometimes, but he never does finger vibrato. I think that kinda sux actually.

What do you guys think?

I think that I couldn't give a fuck what tech he uses as long as it sounds good, and for the past 5 years it's sounded good. If it aint broken, why fix it?

You know, I have noticed that but never really gave it any thought. It's interesting now that I'm thinking about it. No vibrato yet he still sounds so good... I sound like crap errr.. scratch that... More CRAP if I don't use it. :D

Maybe he just does it so well, you don't notice it in all its awesomeness. :headbang:

I don't believe he uses any effects live at all either. No reverb or delay or anything. I think there live sound would be a bit better if they focused a little more on stuff like that. I'm not saying it's bad. But a touch of reverb can go a long ways.

listen to the second sixpounder solo, dont know if he ever does it anywhere else, just saw that because i learned it awhile ago. He does it alot more there on the live tuska vid, but you do have a point.

Hmm... First time i ever think of that... I`m not listening to bodom right now, but I remember that he uses vibrato in Triple Corpse Hammerblow in the sweep when he does the pinch harmonic. But thats what he always does. CoB and FtR solos has rock bends which he vibrates a little, live he vibrates them more.. I think HCDR solo has some vibrato in the start.

Firefest9 said:
hey folks,
I have never posted on here. Im always on the Dark Tranquillity, hypocrisy and dan swano forums.

I have been listening to Bodom since 1998. I just noticed something today. alexi has no vibrato in most of his solos. Why is this? He uses the tremolo to kinda emulate it sometimes, but he never does finger vibrato. I think that kinda sux actually.

What do you guys think?
like using a lot of reverb and shit which makes your sound more sloppy and you hear your faults less??? very trollish post...

I think CoB goes for an audibly "perfect" sound. Vibrato makes it sound more personalized if that makes any sense. I dunno how to explain it, but their studio sound is about as close to perfect as it can get, unlike Cacophony, shit like that, where it sounds more raw. Alexi uses PLENTY of vibrato live.

gkelter said:
I think CoB goes for an audibly "perfect" sound. Vibrato makes it sound more personalized if that makes any sense. I dunno how to explain it, but their studio sound is about as close to perfect as it can get, unlike Cacophony, shit like that, where it sounds more raw. Alexi uses PLENTY of vibrato live.
:headbang: cacophony :headbang:

Guitar players care... If you don't know what are they talking about, don't post here. Is something like "OMG!!111 Alexi doesn't use vibrato... errr... that must be bad! I have to defend him!"

Honestly, I've never noticed the little things as much with any of his solos. Other bands I'll pay attention to a lot more, but Alexi play such smooth, fluent solos that I have no need to pay attention to the minor stuff. But now I will because of this topic...

Missiles said:
Guitar players care... If you don't know what are they talking about, don't post here. Is something like "OMG!!111 Alexi doesn't use vibrato... errr... that must be bad! I have to defend him!"
his name is PRS, what could he know anyway.