• Entry 07

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Entry 08

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Naa bro its all good.

Its actually the way the forum does the links. In order to get it to work i had to post it incorrectly then go back and edit it. Its the only way i could get them working.

May want to mention this to the guys that run UM

The winner of the 3rd Steve Smyth Solo Competition, in both categories (4/4 and 7/4) is: Profeta! Congratulations Profeta! Please contact me by e-mail!
As soon as I hear from Profeta by e-mail, we'll get under way with the next contest, as he will be providing us a backing track.
All I envision for the next contest is one backing track this time. This one seemed a little intimidating for some this time around, so I think we'll go back to one track for this one!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

congrats Profeta. The solos this round were the best from the whole competition, all 3rd rounds.
And the last 2 tracks were intimidating for me the 4/4 was because of so much going on already in the track.. the 7/4 was more accessible to me, but i had absolutely no idea for it, since it was long and had the metallica justice feel with a morbid angel feel to it. hard to describe but i had no idea for it. Maybe next round i will play again. Congrats again dude! the 7/4 solo was very fucking awesome!

Congrats to you Profeta!

So I think he was Entry #1... who was #3?

I voted #3 for the 7/4.
Mainly because the solo seemed to be in better harmony with the backing track in the first half, and the second half was more interesting than #1.
For the 4/4 I voted #1, that solo just kicked ass all around.
You guys are some serious shredders... :headbang: :worship:

Oh yes, #2 was me. :loco:

Thank you all! :kickass: It was a lot of fun.
I was number 1. I have to say that the acoustic touch in the 3rd 7/4 solo was a great idea.
So we were The Fifth_Horseman, me and who else?

I'll send Steve an email to see if he has something in mind for the next contest.

I want to say thanks to all 3 of you Profeta, Fifth Horseman, and Evil Pete, for entering!
There was something to like in each of these solos!
We're getting ready to move on to the next one now! We should have the track by as early as next week I believe. Stay tuned!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And here it is folks!!! The backing track to the 4th forum solo competition!

This little ditty is in the F Sharp Locrian mode, for the most part, in 6/8 time, and has a little foray into 4/4 time, before jumping back to 6/8. Even though this is a modal backing track, a little knowledge of common tones will yield big results for other scale possibilities! This one screams a certain "sound" to me, can't wait to hear what all of you come up with for this!

Competition "rules" are the same as always: All entrants have 1 week to record their solos, and send them to me in mp3 form at this address: steve@stevesmyth.com

OF NOTE: Please do not label your mp3 entry with your name if you would prefer to remain anonymous!
Everyone made this a "rule" previously, and I believe if we all feel that way, we should keep it that way. My suggestion for a title: 4th solo competition.mp3 the winner wil be revealed after the voting poll has closed.
All entries must be received by Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, at 5pm PST. We'll hold firm on this one this time, so everybody who wants to GET YOUR SOLO ON AND GET YOUR ENTRY IN!!!

Once we get all of the entries in, we'll put them up, and you get to vote for your favorite, and can include comments. Constructive criticism/comments is encouraged; anything negative will be deleted.

As always, the winner of this competition will provide a backing track to the next competition, with a little bit of my direction as to content.

Allright, that about covers it! Best of luck to everyone!

http://www.stevesmyth.com/Solo-Contest/4th/Profeta-RicardoDaCosta-fixed.mp3

By the way, the tempo in the 6/8 sections is 95 BPM and in the 4/4 section is 143 BPM. Although I dont speed up when changing time signatures theres an inherent change in the beats per minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.