• Entry 07

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Entry 08

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
FretsAflame said:
My vote is for no.7 - seems like it's gonna win! I think it had the most dynamic approach and sounded the most badass. Way to go whoever did that one. Seems like they have a little bit of experience though ;)

I think winner should not be allowed to participate in the next contest, but rather should host it. If that's already the way it works, someone please shoot me for not paying enough attention :lol:

BANG!!!

i think the voting should end tomorrow, so that the winner has the weekend (or faster if he wants) to do the backing track, and we should have the next week to think and medidate about our next solo and post constructive crit about these solos.
what do ya think people?

#3 is easily my favorite... I like the range in which is used, and its originality.

lordofthesewers said:
i think the voting should end tomorrow, so that the winner has the weekend (or faster if he wants) to do the backing track, and we should have the next week to think and medidate about our next solo and post constructive crit about these solos.
what do ya think people?
LOTS, I think as we already_ laid out the "rules" for the contest, we should stick with the original plan; looking at the fact it took people 5 days to get their entries in to me anyway, I think it's fair to say that we should spend the rest of the week with the voting open. And again, the winner, as we already_agreed to, will be the next person coming up with a backing track, and he/she will be excluded from that competition only. Sound fair to you guys?

Steve Smyth said:
LOTS, I think as we already_ laid out the "rules" for the contest, we should stick with the original plan; looking at the fact it took people 5 days to get their entries in to me anyway, I think it's fair to say that we should spend the rest of the week with the voting open. And again, the winner, as we already_agreed to, will be the next person coming up with a backing track, and he/she will be excluded from that competition only. Sound fair to you guys?

Hahahaha sorry, I'm pretty sure it was only me who kinda wasn't sure I got it :lol:

Like everyone else has said, these all are very good. :headbang:

Very hard to choose, but I went with 7, with 3 & 8 being a very close second and third.

This really shows me how much I need to start practicing every day....

Can't wait for future competitions, Steve thanks for hosting this, it rocks! For at least one competition it would be cool to have a acoustic or non-distorted sound, I love good clean shred, that is so hard to make it sound right.

Well guys,
In about 1 hour, I will close the polls, and the thread for the first Forum Solo Competition! It looks as though we have a winner to announce shortly! my thanks to everyone who participated, we had some really great entries from everyone, and I thank all of you guys for doing this! I hope everyone's been working up their chops.... It's almost time for the next one!
It's my feeling that the winner will be announced, and the next Forum Solo Competition will start after annoucing the winner, and I receive the backing track for the next competition. We'll put the same rules in place for this one as well, as this seemed to work well, giving everyone enough time to enter, and everyone else enough time to vote.:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And the poll is now closed! The winner is.....drum roll please....No.7 Evil Pete!
Congrats Evil Pete, and my thanks to all who entered! This has been a lot of fun, and a learning experience I hope shared by all who entered this 1st Forum Solo Contest! I think we all heard some really good entries this time around from everybody_, and I'm looking forward to the next competition, with backing track supplied by Evil Pete!
For the next contest, we'll operate under the same guidelines as this one:
1.Evil Pete will supply the backing track for this.I'll look to receive this by the end of this week.
2. Once posted, all entrants have 5 days to comprise a solo over the new backing track, after which all will be posted, again in anonymous fashion.The winner will obviously be excluded from contributing a solo.
3. We'll set up the voting poll, and give the contest 7 days for voting, after which, the winner will be revealed, and the opportunity to do the next backing track will be the "prize"!
One thing I want to add. If you did not receive a lot of votes, or any votes, PLEASE DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED! If anything, it's my hope that you can learn from what you did, and gain knowledge from it. Perhaps you tried some scales or approach that was new to you,or maybe you didn't know some scales as well as you thought you did. I think the main thing to learn from this experience is how you phrase your solo, and the note choices you make as well. A real big thing is beginning and ending phrases on a R,3rd, or 5th of a chord.That what I see as drawing a listener's ear into a solo. It brings you into the riff, and it's stating your phrase, a kind of first word of a sentence, and the period that ends your statement, if you will. Check out your fave guitarist/soloist, that's what they're doing,no matter how complex or simple the solo. Food for thought, as we get ready for the next Forum Contest!
One more thing, even though I hate those words, "competition", and "contest", I hope everyone realizes that those words do not reflect that anyone here is better than the other! I see this as a great opportunity to hear from everyone here, and to learn from each other, and to grow as a musician.Popularity contests are fleeting, and usually forgotten. This ain't no stinkin' athletic meet! This is METAL!
:lol: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OK, everybody, get ready, here's the backing track for the next contest, provided by Evil Pete!!! Thanks Pete, this one rocks!
http://www.stevesmyth.com/Solo-Contest/ssmythsolocomp2.mp3

The key is E minor,with a little b2 twist at the end( very metal!) The time signature is 4/4, the tempo is 166 bpm( EvilPete correct me if I'm wrong!)

I leave no suggestions for scale use this time, as I can think of umpteen different things that would work well.

And one more time, for those new to this contest, the rules that were laid out in the previous contest:
All entrants have 5 days to return 2 mp3's back to me: 1 with the solo and backing track, one with just the solo, in case I have to remix here for you.This means ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY TUESDAY, NOV. 7TH, 2006. SEND ALL ENTRIES TO: steve@stevesmyth.com
After all entries are received, we will give a poll voting process 7 days.THE POLL CLOSES TUESDAY, NOV.14TH,2006 @2PM PST. The entrant who gathers the most votes, "wins". And what do you "win", you might ask?
Winner of the contest gets accolades, and records the next backing track!
Allright everybody, get your "ED" on straight, and have fun with this!!!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.