Free Reamping Through My Custom Tube Amp For Everyone!

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
I'm not joking :) I spent the last couple of months making a site that will offer this service, it's called...yeah you've guessed it: www.freereamping.com

I think I explained the whole idea on the site but I'll quote a part of what I've written:
After you've recorded your DI tracks (which I'm pretty sure you know how to do, but I've explained that, as well) you should go to the 'Reamp' section and listen to the samples that are closest to the sound you are looking for. After you've found a sample similar to the tone you want, see what settings have been used by moving the mouse over its link. Choose the respective values from the drop down lists and modify them according to your preferences. You know the tone depends on the guitar and pickups used, so you should compare your DI tracks to those used for the samples, just click on the respective channel name. After you've chosen your settings write the visitor number (from the bottom of the page) in the text area that says 'Visitor Number'. Before you hit submit, attach your file to an email, the topic of which must again be your visitor number. Send the email and submit your settings. Your files will be processed as soon as possible and then sent to your email address. You should send only short snippets of your files until you are absolutely sure this is the tone you want. To check how one file will sound with different settings you can write down your visitor number somewhere and use it the next time you submit settings, this way you don't have to send the file again and I don't have to download it again.

Here's the amp:
gar.jpg

I inteded to use my framus cab but due to my living in an apartment that's not possible yet, so ...sorry LSD - impulses :p
For the samples I've used one of Guitarhack's impulses and honestly, Guitarhack, you should make an official CD with those and sell it. I'd buy one. Hell, if I had the money, I'd buy one every month :worship:

As for the catch: no catch, really. No one is obliged to pay me for this service, though it would be great if you would support the site by buying items from my CafePress.com shop. The idea is that the more items you buy, the more gear I'll buy for this project... free 5150 reamping anyone?
Of course a new amp is quite optimistic for the time being but it would be great if I could at least afford a new interface or an AD/DA so that I don't have to use one of the two outputs on my EMU1212m but rather have a dedicated output.

So check out the site, ask whatever questions you want to ask and try it out by sending me some DI tracks, though I won't have much time in the next few days.

www.freereamping.com

Cool :)

I don't see any files or settings in my mail, though.

Who's gonna be the first one ever?

So far I've only mentioned the site to you guys, this way we can test the site and solve problems if they occur and also this forum has a head start in the list of tracks to be reamped.

Edit: didn't see prowlergrig's post.
Don't hesitate to send your settings as many times as you need till you get the tone your after, just keep your test DI track short.

just browsed through the site and it's brilliant, only some questions/suggestions:

1. you should have more items in the shop maybe, that button doesn't look very appealing
2. do you only accept 44.1 files? i have an audigy and it only works in 48khz
3. would reamping tracks for a whole album (30mins x 4 tracks) be too much to ask? is there a limit to what you can do for us? :D

again, even if i don't end up asking for your help, this is a wonderful thing you're doing i think

1. Yes, I know, I'll add at least a t-shirt and a mug :) I chose the button because only 0.99$ go for CafePress.com and the rest goes for my site. T-shirts on the other hand have a base price of at least 9$ so I can't add a big markup without the t-shirt getting too expensive and the idea isn't to sponsor CafePress :saint: But I will figure it out, probably the best thing to do is to ask those who are willing to help the site what they would like to buy and how much it should cost. Feel free to make suggestions.
2. That's weird, from soundblaster.com :
16-bit and 24-bit recording with sampling rates of 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 and 96kHz
Maybe it's down to choosing a samplerate from your recording software. If you still can't change it I'll make an exception, no problem :)
3. It's not too much to ask, as long as everyone keeps in mind that they are not the only ones who want their tracks reamped and that downloading the tracks, importing them, setting up the amp, reamping, exporting and then uploading the reamped tracks takes a certain amount of my time. You don't have to spend tons of money, that's definitely not the idea of this site, but needless to say, those who can, should, at least occasionally, "give" after they "take" in order to keep the site free and without ads and pop-ups and all those things we despise :puke:
Basically, I'm leaving things into the "customers" hands for now. I still have faith in humanity :lol:

I'll put this to the test soon :D

gonna knock up a coversong soon to check my system is back and stable (recently formateed both comps).

Yep, just select 'No' under 'Impulse' (far left dropdown menu) :)

Feel free to ask and suggest whatever comes to your mind.

Edit: I forgot to say I would prefer it if most people add impulses on their own if they can, because it will be one thing less for me to do and the files will be exported more quickly. When you're planning to use some other impulses have in mind that it will sound pretty different, I find GuitarHack's impulse to be a bit scooped, for example.

Thanks :) I'm eager to see how it will work out for you guys. Bet I won't be that eager once I get a hundred files waiting to be reamped :lol:
So far there are none, though.

Yeah my guitar is total junk and the cleans are on the neck pickup which is the stock one..and so is the bridge. In about a month I'll receive the Schecter Baritone I bought from AudioPhile so I'll be making emg 81 samples then. Also the impulse may not be the best option for cleans.

About the ftp: sure, just send me an e-mail with the exact link and I'll reply to that once I have your files ready. I wonder if I could use the ftp for the reamped files, maybe just upload them when I'm ready and people should check if their number showed up.

Shadow, do you want me to set up a dedicated ftp for your service?

Keep the forum one and your one seperate to prevent mixups...