from which release did you discover Anathema?

from which release did you discover Anathema?

• Total voters
Eternity. I bought it for four quid in a second hand shop in Bristol, because of the picture on the front.

Ahh.. well.. First a mate of mine recommended Anathema. I was 12 years old so hadn't heard about them. (This was a while ago). I went into the nearest record shop a listened 5 mins and thought it was "good".
A few years later I began to listen to metal. The first thing that got me into Anathema was Etirnity. At the same time I also liked The Silent Enigma. Then AFDTE and now I've purchased my first Anathema album: Alternative 4 (which really has a unique title and cover art if you ask me).
I even almost bought The Silent Enigma, which I really regretted (or regrote?!) later.

I'm of course planning to get the whole set of albums, I just need to get hold of some money first..

ah it was alternative 4.too typical for a greek person.it was the album that granted a respectable fan base for anathema.until then i was more into britpop and britrock stuff,as well as the (divine)smashing pumpkins and the gathering:)

I had seen a bit of the silent enigma vid on headbangers ball about 96'. but it wasnt until i bought the three song demo for a4 that i got hooked on them. Hearing fragile dreams for the first time blew me away and got hooked on them since.

i did discover Anathema when a friend did let me listen to the Serenades CD. but in that time i was so bored with all the metal in general that i did never gave a chence to the album.
But when Alternative 4 come out i did rediscover Anathema thanks to "Lost Control". this makes me to look for all their back catalogue!!!

I discovered Anathema with Alternative 4... I bought a magazine with a sampler featuring "empty", and became addicted to the song... I bought the album, then "Eternity", "Judgement", "A fine day to exit", the "Resonnance" 1 & 2 and (finally) "the silent enigma"...

I started off with Pentecost III when I accidentally bought it off a CD fair. Then, it toook me a year to get hooked on We, The Gods. Then I listened to Enigma, coz a guy just bought it, and gave me a listen.
I wasnt' that impressed, honestly.
I was when i heard Eternity, Angelica is my top funeral song. That will never change.
It all went downhill from there - Alt4, Judgement, AFDTE... ;)

downhill: not musicwise, happy-wise!

:err:

the first song that somehow landed on my computer years ago was forgotten hopes but i forgotten how it had happened.. :) I think the title caught me. i really liked that but still was not interested in any others until people said that its sad music and I might like it.. The next album I met was judgement and fine day to exit and after that i started to look for previous ones and found out finally that my fav was alternativ 4. Strange that I feel some similarity, a joint style between alter4 and fineday though songs i like from them are written by different persons..

Don Corleone said:
paradise lost - cool nick, cool avatar, cool member status, perfect sig. :)
off topic!
Gee, Thanks godfather!!!

the avatar is related to a band named Unearthly Trance, Black/Doom at his best, check it!!
The signature relates to my personal guru: Homer J. Simpson, and to my emotional state ( that song!!);
And Paradise Lost! what can i say, i worship them, except for the Believe In Nothing album!!

On topic:
in more depth, after i heard the CD "Almost A Dance" from the Gathering, my buddy puts me the "Sleepless" track from Serenades, where the voice it resembles a little the voices on that The gathering CD!
In that time i was so sicked of the death grunts, that i was looking for clean voices!!!

metal hammer named a4 album of the year so i "had" to buy it. thank god i did. few months later that year came eternity and all the rest followed...

like sophia said, almost every greek got into anathema cos of a4. as i can see from the poll results so far, that's pretty much the case everywhere. that alone proves how good the album is.

I really didn't like A4 after Eternity, it was all bleak and empty and without any funny noises and shit, and I felt cheated. And spacemen don't rock half as much as plastic angels. I got used to it since, but Eternity's still my favourite like. That and TSE. It's all good, though, Trevor...