Fuck modern society... and drugs

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
Okay, you've all had your little frustration threads, I think it's my turn.

FUCK! What's the deal with people these days? I was at a mates place before, and this mate is a techno-head. I got no worries with that, and he even let me put on my own CD while at his place (I chose Goat Horn - Storming the Gates :headbang: ). Yet as soon as his mates come round, I cop all this shit for putting on a metal album, and they throw it out and chuck on more techno. "What the fuck is this shit?", is something I find very offensive, especialy considering the nature of Goat Horn.

And of course, drugs. In the 45 minutes I was there I got offered speed by 2 different people, and extacy from another. I turned down each and every offer, as I have done for the past year (since all my mates started getting into the drugs). And then I cop more shit for that!. AAARRRRRGGGGGHHH. I left the fucking place and walked home just because I couldnt fucking put up with it.

So I ask, what the fuck is wrong with them? Why don't these people take no as an answer? Why is it that all my good mates have turned out like this?

Techno drug and dance culture has taken over countries like Oz and the UK. I'm sure the rest of Europe is 'mad for it' as well. I have to say, the US has been really shielded from it in comparison. I don't know why exactly, but the massive geography of the US probably makes it impossible for it to become widespread. I'm not saying the US doesn't follow the trend, but not to the extent of everywhere else, where millions of people flock each weekend to fields/warehouses for illegal raves and drugs. This has become SO widespread and 'mainstream' that people in the UK can now go on vacations specifically for clubbing/raving - it started with Ibiza in Spain, but now people are going all the way to Goa (South India) and to Full Moon Parties (Thailand). Unbelievable.

Anyway, the point is, I was quite pleased to be leaving the UK when the opportunity came along. It's weird that I have to be in the US to appreciate a genre where 90% of it comes out of Europe, without techno raveheads going, "what the fuck is this shit?". Yep, pretty much everyone I knew got sucked into dance/club culture starting all the way back in the early 90s, and so I've spent a LOT of time around ravers. Most of my friends back home are still ravers.

A quick steretype on techno fans:

(i) they think metal only existed in the 80s and pretty much ended at Motorhead,
(ii) metal is therefore irrelevant because nobody listens to it, so it must be crap,
(ii) they think music should come with a date and time stamp -- unlike other music forms, there is no such thing as 'classic techno'. Once the track been played at a rave for 2.1 weeks, it becomes obsolete and archived away.

I think drugs are fun if not over-abused, but pressuring people into doing them is stupid. I frequently drink beer with friends, but some that hang out with us don't drink, and that's fine.

As far as friends that give you shit for listening to metal but make you listen to their crap, I've known people like that and lived with a few at one point. I don't exactly associate with any of them anymore. :D

JayKeeley said:
Once the track been played at a rave for 2.1 weeks, it becomes obsolete and archived away.
Or remixed ;)

Many of your points seem valid. It's just a bitch. But I apologise for whinging at anyone elses expense... it was just something I had to get off my chest.

When i used to work music retail, it would always amaze me when these dance music fuckers would come, spend $30 on an import techno cd, then throw away the case, booklet, everything but the disc... :ill:

The scene was actually quite big in the states, still is, it's just that the government conducted some fairly succesful raids and drove it all back underground.

excellent comments Mr Keeley.

Over here in the US pot is the drug of choice, and hip hop is the music of choice. but yeah, I know what you mean, no one wants to listen to death metal. But im cool with that, everyone I know has accepted my love for metal, even if they cant stand it themselves. Of course one is going to be the victim of a few jokes, but fuck man, throw it right back at them. These are dudes listening to techno together, and probably dancing. Whats more queer than that? So, if it ever happens again, find out shit they like, and make fun of them for it- it works for me.

My "non metal" buddies also give me crap for listening to metal. Here's what you do so you don't have to hear them. Turn in up louder! That way they can bitch all they wait while you headbang to the kick ass tunes they hate. Works everytime, until they get so sick of it they just turn it off. Then you yell "WHAT THE FUCK BITCH?" Grab them by the neck and throw them in to the wall, stomp on all their music, grab a 12 gauge start and shooting people untill they realize YOU are in charge. After that they'll leave you alone and probably won't say another word about you or your music. Then life is good.

Papa Josh said:
The scene was actually quite big in the states, still is, it's just that the government conducted some fairly succesful raids and drove it all back underground.
Yeah but it's still not part of mainstream culture like it is in Europe. I'm talking about your average joe blo going off to a rave for the weekend, or just going clubbing, regardless of their background, class, colour, creed, etc. Believe me when I say, it's everyone, and has now become mainstream.

As speed said, if you can compare this phenomenon to anything in the US, it's gotta be hip hop. Whether the black community like it or not, hip hop is trendy and mainstream, and everyone embraces it today as standard 'pop' music.

Whether the black community like it or not, hip hop is trendy and mainstream, and everyone embraces it today as standard 'pop' music.
i don't think the black community will argue with that ... but probably 70% of hip hop buyers are white

Decadent said:
In the 45 minutes I was there I got offered speed by 2 different people, and extacy from another.
I just noticed this. If I had friends that did this I'd laugh at them, then kick them, then take all their beer and women.
JayKeeley said:
This has become SO widespread and 'mainstream' that people in the UK can now go on vacations specifically for clubbing/raving
Heh, I've known people in the US that have done this. "Yeah I've been to Europe, what clubs did you go to?" Wow.

Oh, and I think nataservant has the best idea. :tickled:

One Inch Man said:
Heh, I've known people in the US that have done this. "Yeah I've been to Europe, what clubs did you go to?" Wow.
It's the same with the Brits. First of all, they are the worst overseas -- almost as bad as the Germans. They will go to those places I mentioned: Ibiza, Goa, and Bangkok, and not see anything that is relevant to Spain, India, or Thailand respectively. It's all about the club scene. Actually, like in metal where you travel to see a band, ravers will travel to 'see' a specific DJ.

Man, I just can't imagine going somewhere 'exotic' and not seeing all the historic points of reference, local culture, markets, etc. Doesn't matter how much money I have, backpacking is the best way to travel.

Yeah the brits are the worlds most obnoxious and vapid travellers. We americans may be uncultured boors, but at least we are not British.

I was stuck on Ios in Greece for 3 days this summer. It was AWFUL. All British and Australian. The Aussies were ok, but the Brits- jesus christ. Its club until 7 am, sleep- beach, all done in large groups of persons with terrible senses of humor and little to no friendliness. Its like every dumb secretary in Britain and her waiter boyfriend descend like locusts. And I look british or Irish, so they just thought I was one or the other as well.

speed said:
I was stuck on Ios in Greece for 3 days this summer. It was AWFUL. All British and Australian. The Aussies were ok, but the Brits- jesus christ. Its club until 7 am, sleep- beach, all done in large groups of persons with terrible senses of humor and little to no friendliness. Its like every dumb secretary in Britain and her waiter boyfriend descend like locusts. And I look british or Irish, so they just thought I was one or the other as well.
Geez, for a yank, you hit that nail on the head regarding those Brits. It used to be just the 'lower class' yob like element that would travel to places like Spain etc primarily because it had become so cheap. So the Brits left their domestic holiday spots like Bognor Regis or Blackpool for the sun. Next thing you know, EVERYONE is going just for the ecstasy, raves, DJs, alcohol, fights, etc. The crowds range from bricklayers through to investment bankers. And now you get cheap flights to India and Thailand and all the same crowds are going.

Blur wrote a good song about it all once, "Boys and Girls".

I think the Aussies did the same thing with Bali (and probably Thailand). Funnily enough, the majority of people going to Bangkok for the hookers are US navy boys and old German men, otherwise it's all about the full moon parties and techno techno techno techno.