Funeral Doom

replicated

Threadkiller
Nov 1, 2004
Bumfuck, MI 69666
Hello, I just started getting into the Funeral Doom genre. I was wondering if any of you guys had any good bands to recommend. By the way, Jesse, I'd like to see some doom for us on darkdose sometime. :hotjump:

Dolorian, Pantheïst (even though Hopkins will disagree ;)), Reclusiam, I'll second Esoteric (especially Metamorphogenesis, which has the fantastic Dissident) and of course Skepticism and Thergothon, Despond, Monolithe, but you probably shouldn't bother with Shape of Despair.

It's arguable as to whether they're really funeral doom or moreso death doom, but I'd highly recommend Thorr's Hammer and Mournful Congregation. Slow and brutal.

Nortt...The world most depressing funeral doom there is :yell: Not really my cup of tea but there are free mp3s on his web-site

Vex Loser said:
Evoken
Morgion
Mourning Beloveth
Skepticism
Winter
Thergothon

On a side note, has anyone heard the doom stuff that Cephalic Carnage did? I was suprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Mourning Beloveth and Cephalic Carnage are seriously good bands.

Why not check them out..
Pantheist @ myspace & http://www.pantheist.co.uk

My Shameful @ myspace & http://www.myshameful.com

Death and grief on such a personal and intense scale that you want to turn it off, but can’t. It holds a macabre fascination… like watching someone die.

‘Of Dust’ can only be described as Funeral Death Doom, a style of progressive extreme Doom that has been quietly maturing amongst the elite Death and Funeral Doom bands since the release of Skepticism’s collection of journeys called ‘Farmakon’. This album resolves the Funeral and Death Doom battles of earlier albums to some degree, by seamlessly integrating the two genres into one. The lyrics are so Death Doom they hurt. The self-loathing, the disgust, the wanting it to end, the despair at your own existence. It is totally self-centred where nothing else is in focus except you… and you don’t count. And yet there is such emptiness and loss in the music. Perhaps our hero mourns his existence? From the lyrics, I doubt if he would ever mourn his own death. At times ‘Of Dust’ sounds and feels like Funeral Doom, other times it doesn’t. The important thing is it gives you the ‘someone-walking-over your grave’ shudders and fills you full of dread and doom. (Beerman @ Doom-metal.com forum)

Some notable mentions of death/doom bands that are worth checking out.. even thou they are not funeralismus style
Mar De Grises & Ablaze In Hatred

Keep an eye on upcoming releases on Total Rust Records and on Solitude Productions. They have had some interesting signings lately.

i must say that soulpreacher and confessor are in no was funeral doom. however, confessor are on of my favorite bands. i don't think confessor sound like anyone else really. they are just bad assed. soulpreacher are a damn good band too, i thought they sounded like swallow the sun meets maybe early katatonia.

and mar de gresis are awesome