FUUUUCK! ROOPE QUIT THE BAND!!!!

Sorry, but Naildown is shit. It's just a bad COB Clone. If you want to hear something really awesome stuff, go and listen to Starkill!

This may be one of the more dumb things I've read on here. Borderline Joonas level if anything.

Starkill are the epitome of CoB wannabe's if I've ever seen one. Their frontman is ripping off Alexi's old image harder than anyone I've ever had the misfortune of seeing live, and their music is about as cookie-cutter as it gets as far as power metal-esque music goes.

World Domination was a fucking awesome album by Naildown. Bodom never had clean sections and nifty choruses like that album has.

TL;DR, Naildown is awesome, you're wrong, and your opinion is wrong.

well, i just found out. my thoughts... Roope may have quit b/c he just decided he's not able to be 'relentless reckless forever' haha
or perhaps his drinking caught up with him.. i think that's all personal stuff. COB are being very professional about this

I feel that Alexander contributed the colorful writing and dynamics of the earlier albums, before the guys evolved to chromaticism

Roope brought that sound in from Stone too. Especially on Halo of Blood

I met both Alexi and Roope here in Austin a few years back. Roope was exceptionally friendly... dude started cracking up when i yelled "fuck ya" during the picture and had my maiden shirt on. Alexi of course is very respectable too. Another reason to love this band

Good Luck Roope! And COB may get the 'Trujillo' factor where they gain positive energy from the fresh blood

Why does everyone keep perpetuating the myth that the other guitar players had a big role in the writing of the albums? All you have to do is look in the album booklet and it clearly says all music is written by Alexi

Why does everyone keep perpetuating the myth that the other guitar players had a big role in the writing of the albums? All you have to do is look in the album booklet and it clearly says all music is written by Alexi

Arranging and writing songs are two different things and as far as I know everyone in the band takes part in the arrangement process.

Arranging and writing songs are two different things and as far as I know everyone in the band takes part in the arrangement process.

AFAIK, arrangement is only about the order the riffs and melodies are played in. Doesn't have anything to do with how melodic or dark or atmospheric the song sounds.

AFAIK, arrangement is only about the order the riffs and melodies are played in. Doesn't have anything to do with how melodic or dark or atmospheric the song sounds.

wrong, arrangement is basically an interpretation of the concept, obviously closely related to melody/atmosphere and whatever. E.g. the britney spears cover is merely an arrangement of the original, you wouldn't argue they differ a bit.

wrong, arrangement is basically an interpretation of the concept, obviously closely related to melody/atmosphere and whatever. E.g. the britney spears cover is merely an arrangement of the original, you wouldn't argue they differ a bit.

Good point. Order of the melodies/riffs and the instrument choices then. Even so, it doesn't have much to do with the composing aspect. All the melodies and riffs are still written by Alexi. The rest of the band might have an input on which sound Janne plays with.

it's a fallacy to encapsulate an entire dynamic between two artists in just a few words. the point is.. the end product reflects on the personal at the time. everyone changes and evolves, but surely if the first guitar player had remained in the band, the sound would be different

and there is NO questioning Roopes talent. IMO, and i know i might be walking a dangerous path in saying ... but the guy has a much more unique and genuine style of lead guitar than Alexi. That's not to take away from Alexi's ability to directly communicate with the listener. Alexi speaks directly to me.. the way Kirk Hammet did when I was just a little kid. Roope on the other hand is so fucking advanced and experienced... he's beyond most listeners comprehension. Especially on the Latvala Bros Record. It really sounds like constant melting, chromatic stuff. He's almost Jazzy in a way.

i mean cmon guys.. he named a song 'BRUTAL SOLUTION TO SEXUAL MEGAPROBLEMS'

that's fucking awesome haha

I think Roope has some good solos with Sinergy, but what I have seen him do with Bodom is really underwhelming (to be fair he hasn't had a ton of chances).

When I watch a lot of the live videos Roope's playing is a train-wreck (not to say Alexi hasn't been pretty sloppy too at times). He just seems to lack finesse on the guitar and that his playing ability has decayed.

You do not have to agree with it, just my two cents.

Good point. Order of the melodies/riffs and the instrument choices then. Even so, it doesn't have much to do with the composing aspect. All the melodies and riffs are still written by Alexi. The rest of the band might have an input on which sound Janne plays with.

I personally don't think that Laiho is that much of a nazi when it comes to his compositions. What I mean is that during the arranging process Latvala might have come up with some cool lick in a certain song and it gets to be on the album etc. I think there are lots of stuff in CoB albums that are created through the good old "hey, I think this might sound better, let's give it a try" method. This is the kind of impression I've got from the COBTV videos. But what the hell do I know, it's also possible that Laiho is some kind of fucking autist that goes batshit-insane if someone messes up with his visions. Just like Joonas!

Roope'S solos aren't that melodic as Duckface-Laihos, but most of them are "betcha can't play this" solos. As an advanced guitarist I would count Roop's solos (on a 1-10 list) somewhere between 7-9, whereas most of Alexis solos are somewhere between 5-7.

I personally don't think that Laiho is that much of a nazi when it comes to his compositions. What I mean is that during the arranging process Latvala might have come up with some cool lick in a certain song and it gets to be on the album etc. I think there are lots of stuff in CoB albums that are created through the good old "hey, I think this might sound better, let's give it a try" method. This is the kind of impression I've got from the COBTV videos. But what the hell do I know, it's also possible that Laiho is some kind of fucking autist that goes batshit-insane if someone messes up with his visions. Just like Joonas!

Adjustments probably do happen, but I don't think the rest of the band composes full melodies or riffs on a regular basis. Occasionally something perhaps, but quite rarely.

What's the point, I mean it's pure speculations. Even drummers often come up with solo albums.

I should look into some of Roope's solos

He has some good ones: Like Sinergy's Midnight Madness (especially the cool sweepy licky)

And then there are the Bodom ones like "Not My funeral" and "Halo of Blood" which are like a 2/10 in live videos

whereas most of Alexis solos are somewhere between 5-7.

I've been playing guitar for 24 years, pretty much everyday. IMO As far as musicians that made it to the big leagues, Alexi is indisputably one of the best. Sure there are probably a million guitar players sitting in their rooms that are great too, but Alexi fucking rules. I feel like he is always getting better too. Put him up against any other big rockstars and he'll knock them way the fuck down.

while we are on topic of solos, which are your favorite solos from both roope and alexi? from roope I like banned from heaven, passage to the fourth world and from alexi touch like an angel of death, tokyo version a tad better, chokehold and bodom beach terror. Those come to mind atm.