Gamers Thread

cool, i'll give that a go

and yeah the monster rancher tv series wasn't even one of the better pokemon rip offs (motherfucking digimon, who's with me?!), but the game was totally different and awesome
Digimon was awesome. The series was at least as good as pokemon, tbh. It was such a short-lived fad, though. By the time I heard about it enough to get a deck, it was gone.

I have an irrational hatred for sports games, probably because a). I don't like sports and because b). it's annoying that a "new" version comes out every year with almost nothing different. IMO it's kind of insulting to video game publishers and producers and designers that make games with actual thought that go into them. But this is just me.
Mega-dot.

I had trouble getting to sleep last night, so the following is a rant about how Bethesda can improve on the bevy of awesomeness that was Morrowind and Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls Five.

1. Fix the dialog system. NPC's had the same conversations over and over again. That feature was cool for five minutes, then actually worked against the immersiveness. What we really need is some way for a computer to generate voices in a way that doesn't sound retarded. Then they could write thousands of hours of dialog and have it in text form and not take up half as much space (there was 2 gigs of audio in oblivion, that amount of text would be absolutely insane). But if this isn't possible, just get rid of the ambient dialog.
Next up, the conversation stuff. I liked morrowind's system more, since in Oblivion I just read the subtitles and then skipped ahead instead of waiting for the voice acting. Also, while morrowind's system got really cluttered at least you could talk to npc's about random stuff, including themselves. In Oblivion all the npcs are supposed to be unique individuals. It would really make sense to be able to talk to them about themselves. The best rpg dialog system I've encountered, frankly, was in Exile 2: The Crystal Souls, where you would type in a word or phrase and that would prompt a response. It allowed for the best of both worlds.

2. The world. First off, why do we need 8 cities? How about 1 or 2 massive cities, actually city-sized cities? That would be way cooler. Also, the cities felt uninhabited (this applies to Morrowind too). Sure, there were npc's, and they had their own houses, but there were like 10 npc's and they each had about a thousand feet of living space. Wtf? Make it more crowded. Just throw more random npc's in, I don't care. Have some shops out in the street like in morrowind; a dude with a table fencing stuff and all. Also, the world was too clean. Dirty shit up a bit. Make it feel lived in.
Next up, how do you have epic fantasy without epic journeys? Answer: you don't. So how about long (i.e. more than 5 minute) trips through bandit infested woods and stuff? This wasn't a huge problem, but could use some work. More varied terrain would be nice. Maybe, forests over here, fields here, mountains there, instead of the clusterfuck that oblivion's landscape was and the barren wasteland of morrowind.

3. AI: could use some work. Mostly the guard AI. It would be nice if they weren't telepathic. And also, if they didn't automatically identify you on sight. How about, if you steal something and run away fast enough, you get away with it? And while we're on the topic of theft, how gay is it that to steal stuff all you do is wait until night, then pick the locks of the front doors of shops, go inside, and take stuff? How about you go through the window or something? Or a skylight? Add some acrobatics to thievery, sneaking around rooftops and shit. And more alleyways! The fences were a good idea, though.
Civilian AI isn't perfect either. Their reactions are weird.

4. Make it an RPG again! Seriously. Bring back the Morrowind system, where you had more pieces of armor (left and right boots, gloves, and pauldrons), and let's have more weapons and stats and stuff. Get rid of the faggoty scaling. Random bandits with mithril armor = fail. And conversely, if you do the main quest at level one the world is being overrun...by scamps. WTF?

5. Work with the guilds some more. For one thing, don't make it possible to do every guild quest ever. Second, make become guild leader more of a big deal than just "you get teh moneys every week"

6. More quests! They don't all have to be epic shit, a simple "kill this dude" or "find me this shit" would work just great. Those are easy to program and still fun to do. A good way to extend the guild storylines.

7. Put more thought into the dungeons, please. Not only do they become too familiar but they also don't make any sense. WTF were the dudes thinking when they built this shit?
Also, how about some above ground stuff? Like, ruined fortresses that are still standing?

8. Less zones. It's really irritating. There must be a better way.

Dragon Warrior Monsters was a cool Game Boy game. The gender and breeding system was really advanced, since you could breed any two monsters. It had a lot more going on than Pokemon in a lot of ways.

Playing Dragon Quest VI right now. It's thoroughly average, but passing the time.

Dragon Warrior Monsters was a cool Game Boy game. The gender and breeding system was really advanced, since you could breed any two monsters. It had a lot more going on than Pokemon in a lot of ways.

Yes, great game! I have an original copy of the GBC DWM (first one) and play the 2nd on a GBC emulator on my PSP pretty dang often. In my DWM1 I have Jamirus, Esterk and DracoLord1 :p win. I was trying to get the more ridiculous boss characters but it's so damned hard!

MOL, check out DWM: Caravan Heart...there's an emulator version (GBA game) with an english patch...the game was only put out in Japan but it's like a cross between party-based DW/DQ and DWM.

btw Pokemon has a disturbing amount of strategy and mathematics in it that the programmers likely didn't want anyone to figure out. EVs/IVs, etc.

@WAIF There is a modding community for Oblivion you know. They've fixed several of those problems and alot more.

That game looks awesome. I think I'll but it when I'm in Hong Kong. Every month I get money from my parents.

I have an irrational hatred for sports games, probably because a). I don't like sports and because b). it's annoying that a "new" version comes out every year with almost nothing different. IMO it's kind of insulting to video game publishers and producers and designers that make games with actual thought that go into them. But this is just me.

No... not at all. The new versions always have something new and improve the game. They release a new version every year because people buy them every year. I want the new rosters, the new rules, the new features. Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean sports games suck.

Also, yes, me and my roommates are getting NHL '09 on the 9th when it comes out. Been playing '08 the last few days to get ready.

I like playing sports more than watching them or playing videogame versions of them.

No... not at all. The new versions always have something new and improve the game. They release a new version every year because people buy them every year. I want the new rosters, the new rules, the new features. Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean sports games suck.

The talent used to make those games could be making games that aren't shit is what I'm saying.

And saying they release a new version every year because people buy them is circular logic + begging the question. It doesn't really explain crap. Of course fans buy them; how can I object to that? And I don't think sports games suck because I hate sports. It was a listed reason but more of a sarcastic aside than the real reason, which is because these games are creatively bankrupt; a machine or computer could make them as easily as people, who could be programming and designing something with actual creativity or even artistic value and not just slaving away on the next gimmick to include in the next year's NFL game, or facial mapping players for the new MLB bullpens.

IMHO

@WAIF There is a modding community for Oblivion you know. They've fixed several of those problems and alot more.

I know. They never really fixed the problems. Someone got rid of the scaling, and of course they add quests, but nothing ever fixes the population thing. As for the others, I never saw anything that even attempted to deal with those.

Digimon was awesome. The series was at least as good as pokemon, tbh. It was such a short-lived fad, though. By the time I heard about it enough to get a deck, it was gone.

Mega-dot.

I had trouble getting to sleep last night, so the following is a rant about how Bethesda can improve on the bevy of awesomeness that was Morrowind and Oblivion in the Elder Scrolls Five.

1. Fix the dialog system. NPC's had the same conversations over and over again. That feature was cool for five minutes, then actually worked against the immersiveness. What we really need is some way for a computer to generate voices in a way that doesn't sound retarded. Then they could write thousands of hours of dialog and have it in text form and not take up half as much space (there was 2 gigs of audio in oblivion, that amount of text would be absolutely insane). But if this isn't possible, just get rid of the ambient dialog.
Next up, the conversation stuff. I liked morrowind's system more, since in Oblivion I just read the subtitles and then skipped ahead instead of waiting for the voice acting. Also, while morrowind's system got really cluttered at least you could talk to npc's about random stuff, including themselves. In Oblivion all the npcs are supposed to be unique individuals. It would really make sense to be able to talk to them about themselves. The best rpg dialog system I've encountered, frankly, was in Exile 2: The Crystal Souls, where you would type in a word or phrase and that would prompt a response. It allowed for the best of both worlds.

2. The world. First off, why do we need 8 cities? How about 1 or 2 massive cities, actually city-sized cities? That would be way cooler. Also, the cities felt uninhabited (this applies to Morrowind too). Sure, there were npc's, and they had their own houses, but there were like 10 npc's and they each had about a thousand feet of living space. Wtf? Make it more crowded. Just throw more random npc's in, I don't care. Have some shops out in the street like in morrowind; a dude with a table fencing stuff and all. Also, the world was too clean. Dirty shit up a bit. Make it feel lived in.
Next up, how do you have epic fantasy without epic journeys? Answer: you don't. So how about long (i.e. more than 5 minute) trips through bandit infested woods and stuff? This wasn't a huge problem, but could use some work. More varied terrain would be nice. Maybe, forests over here, fields here, mountains there, instead of the clusterfuck that oblivion's landscape was and the barren wasteland of morrowind.

3. AI: could use some work. Mostly the guard AI. It would be nice if they weren't telepathic. And also, if they didn't automatically identify you on sight. How about, if you steal something and run away fast enough, you get away with it? And while we're on the topic of theft, how gay is it that to steal stuff all you do is wait until night, then pick the locks of the front doors of shops, go inside, and take stuff? How about you go through the window or something? Or a skylight? Add some acrobatics to thievery, sneaking around rooftops and shit. And more alleyways! The fences were a good idea, though.
Civilian AI isn't perfect either. Their reactions are weird.

4. Make it an RPG again! Seriously. Bring back the Morrowind system, where you had more pieces of armor (left and right boots, gloves, and pauldrons), and let's have more weapons and stats and stuff. Get rid of the faggoty scaling. Random bandits with mithril armor = fail. And conversely, if you do the main quest at level one the world is being overrun...by scamps. WTF?

5. Work with the guilds some more. For one thing, don't make it possible to do every guild quest ever. Second, make become guild leader more of a big deal than just "you get teh moneys every week"

6. More quests! They don't all have to be epic shit, a simple "kill this dude" or "find me this shit" would work just great. Those are easy to program and still fun to do. A good way to extend the guild storylines.

7. Put more thought into the dungeons, please. Not only do they become too familiar but they also don't make any sense. WTF were the dudes thinking when they built this shit?
Also, how about some above ground stuff? Like, ruined fortresses that are still standing?

8. Less zones. It's really irritating. There must be a better way.
1. There are in-depth companions that can make up for some of that. Check out Simayzs work.
2. There are mods that make the cities more crowded. Check out TIE for Oblivion (Also TNR for face revamp.) and MCA for Morrowind.
3. Numerous mods for that, I'm not going to bother listing them, just make a thread at the Elder Scrolls Forums
4. Scalings been fixed by several people. There are also some mods that mess with the equip system, but it's clunky.
5. Choices And Consequences makes the guilds harder to rank up in, with actual tests for rank-ups.
6. Lots of quest mods as well, look up the Oblivion Quest List for a good list.
7. There are plenty of imaginative dungeons out there.
8. There's a Streamline mod that aims to make the transitions smoother.

I tried one mod that had a sword that talked to you, that was cool.
Anyhow, I don't feel like installing a thousand mods and besides, no mod will ever be as good as something the designers intended. Even if it works perfectly, the game will just feel weird.
I uninstalled Oblivion a long time ago since it was fucking massive. It was still almost perfect, frankly. Those are just things I want to see in the next one.

I got bored of lush green meadows and nearly identical oblivion gates being the only landscape. The way everything moved pissed me off too. They seemed too... stiff.

So, who is getting Spore on Sunday!? I'm going to definitely attempt it. Anyone have any cool uploaded creatures? Post pics here tbh:

crenehmahthetorturous06ia2.png
crevulcanus06ea86c0fulge1.png
cremantidcorax06ea86c6ffj3.png

@V5: Well, I can already get Spore illegally, since it seems to have leaked.A crack is yet to be released though. I'll probably download it first anyway to see what it's like.

The talent used to make those games could be making games that aren't shit is what I'm saying.

And saying they release a new version every year because people buy them is circular logic + begging the question. It doesn't really explain crap. Of course fans buy them; how can I object to that? And I don't think sports games suck because I hate sports. It was a listed reason but more of a sarcastic aside than the real reason, which is because these games are creatively bankrupt; a machine or computer could make them as easily as people, who could be programming and designing something with actual creativity or even artistic value and not just slaving away on the next gimmick to include in the next year's NFL game, or facial mapping players for the new MLB bullpens.

IMHO

Or that talent could be used to make great sports games, which a hell of a lot of people enjoy. The work that goes into these games would surprise you. They begin work on the new game as soon as this year's comes out. Also, these games are not creatively bankrupt in any shape or form. Trying to make a completely realistic simulation year after year takes a crap ton of work. Granted, improvements are small from year to year, but there are enough of them to make them worth buying. I usually buy a particular sports game every 2 years, because I have a limited budget, and the improvements are vast over a 2 year period.