Gamers Thread

Picked up Fallout 3 two days ago. I'm still not that far into it but so far I'm really pleased with it. Like all huge cRPGs it has plenty of issues (I mainly have a lot of complaints about the UI and general item interaction in the game, a lot of which will probably be fixable with user mods in the near future) but overall I am impressed. They really translated the atmosphere and aesthetic of the old isometric games into 3D amazingly well. The world really just looks awesome, and I'm running it on the lowest settings (sadly). I've mostly been doing a ton of exploration and side quests so I can't say much about the story yet. The V.A.T.S. is an adequate replacement for the turn-based mechanic of the old games (as much as I like that mechanic, I agree it probably wouldn't have translated well to a 3D game like this).

I'm impressed so far anyway. But it'll take a few days/weeks before I can decide on just how good the game really is.

I really want to get Dead Space as well but from looking at the system specs for that I'm doubtful it will run well enough on my computer at the moment. But yes, I've heard nothing but positive things about that game and the videos I've seen of it look pretty amazing.

Fallout 3 looks great. I've heard great things about it, and I've been a massive fan ever since I played Tactics. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up sometime this week.

Been playing Illusion of Gaia a bit. Fucking sucks that I'm in Mu & I passed up some red jewels, but I'm going to cheat when I get to the end so I will have all of them.

On Oblivion: Oblivion was an excellent game, but on the immersion front did not live up to the hype (like anything could have). Morrowind had more stuff to do, and a better feel; Oblivion felt cartoony and happy while morrowind felt like more sorta grim fantasy. But also happy giant mushroom fantasy. At the same time.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Oblivion "to me" was the best game I played since the original Half-Life.
Not much of a gamer are you? Seriously, Oblivion practically throws its faults at you in a heap of crusted crap. The only thing it did right was perhaps graphics, and even that was laden with over-bloom.

I've tried Oblivion now, and I agree that it's far inferior to Morrowind.

@ShredHead
Have you tried Terranigma yet?

Not much of a gamer are you? Seriously, Oblivion practically throws its faults at you in a heap of crusted crap. The only thing it did right was perhaps graphics, and even that was laden with over-bloom.

This.

Oblivion was great... for the first 2 hours. Then it was just a tedious grind of oblivion gates, and similar questlines.

So I went looking for my old Sega, considering I bought Mortal Kombat 3 at the new game store. But I couldn't find the hookup to the TV. fuck.

I think it'll just be a clone of the second most overrated game ever. The most overrated being Halo.
Agreed...I played Halo and thought "WHAT IS THE BIG FUCKING DEAL?"
And then I remembered that it's a big deal when you get a competently made fps for consoles.
Speaking of which, Black is pretty beastly. Someone likes them some guns.

This.

Oblivion was great... for the first 2 hours. Then it was just a tedious grind of oblivion gates, and similar questlines.
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd say all that shit about wandering around enjoying the view in the previews was bullshit. Except that my friend has a supercomputer basically and I played it on his and you can actually move around at more than 2 fps outside so that was pretty sweet, but the pop-in is brutal. However, I found some of the quests excellent. The main quest was pretty shit, though. I just didn't do it for about 40 hours.