Gamers Thread

Me too, but that doesn't mean it's not deeply flawed. It's just such a great concept that despite those deep flaws it's really, really fun. It would be fucking mindblowing if they managed to fix that shit.

I think I'll get this sooner or later since the time has finally come where prices of PS2 games have really plummeted, and you can have your pick for under $20. I'd like to play Ico, but I still haven't seen it, and I don't think I'd find that for $20, ha.

Okami for $20? Fuck yes! I'm guessing there's a good 50 hours of gameplay just the first time through. I don't typically run through long games a second time, since I get burned out, unless the game mechanics are just fantastic. I spent 200+ hours on the oft-discussed FFXII, maxed it out, and didn't want to ever touch it again. I spent a lot less time on the great MSG3, but still had no interest in going back to it again. That game is hurt soooo bad by clunky controls/camera. It looks like a free-roaming game, but it's not, which is really annoying. Did any of you play MGS4? I really eat up the story/cutscenes in these games, but you pretty much fight through awkward controls so you can see what happens next, and they're so linear compared to most 3rd person action/adventure/shooter games.

So The Godfather 2 seems to be the total shitfest I always suspected it to become, everyone's bashing it. Good thing Mafia 2 will be as great as the first game.

Right. Even if you're telling the truth, all that proves is you can level a character, it doesn't prove you can do anything else that actually matters.

No, no it isn't. It takes skill and good preparation to coordinate a big group of players to be able to kill bosses, and on an individual level it takes skill to know what the best abilities are and when the best time is to use them, and also of course to know how to gear your character. On top of complex ability rotations, you also have to be aware of what's going on around you so you don't die and so you don't cause other people to die.

Admittedly these new level 80 entry raids are easy (for good players), but back in the previous expansion, and further back to the original content, raid content was extremely challenging. The hardest raid before both expansions came out was only seen, and further only actually fully completed, but less than 5% of the total population of players. That's how challenging it was. Saying PvE takes minimal skill is a completely false statement.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Fenris&n=Vindensång I didn't get there by mashing my face into the keyboard and hoping for the best.

[/nerd rage]

WoW talk... I used to play World of Warcraft religiously. Played all the way from release up to the first couple of bosses in Sunwell before quitting. For Vanilla WoW I raided with an Australian guild on Suramar called Acadians up to BWL, never touched AQ40 or Naxx, I was their hunter CL. I then xferred to Nagrand and joined a couple more guilds before joining my last and probably best/favourite guild called Knights of the Blackrose who xferred to Thaurissan, we cleared all content just before Sunwell got released, so we had to stay and farm BT until everyone's gear got decent enough to venture into SWP where we got Azuregos and Brutallus down and eventually I quit, because of the game consuming my life having to raid 4 hours a night 5 nights a week. This is my toon:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thaurissan&n=Prosthet%C3%ADc

I never got any Sunwell Gear but I was pretty much their best hunter in guild. Knights of the Blackrose eventually disbanded after I left with many leaving the game. I started having problems with my girlfriend, my studies, never really did much music or exercise. I gave my toon to one of my guildies who eventually got sick of playing after stealing all my gold and a half arsed effort at skinning. And now...I'm a happier person with that game long gone. It's still kinda nostalgic though, and I've never gotten a chance to play WotLK.

The only games I play now are on my Xbox 360 when I have time to kill, just completed RE5 and got all characters except Seth on Street Fighter IV.

Infamous definitely looks better than Prototype if you ask me. Protoype looks more like a game that'll be fun for some hours and then you'll get tired of it. Infamous looks harder and not as over the top. Some nice footage:

And here's some Arkham Asylum gameplay, looks great, exactly my type of game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may have been posted earlier... anyone else played Dawn of War II and been very disappointed?

Campaign was fun, if a little repetitive. Everything else felt thoroughly unfinished.

So I found my copy of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (not that I was looking for it, I was looking for my AOE2: The Conquerors disc that I didn't find) and decided to try it (it came with my graphics card and I never got more than an hour in). I actually enjoyed it despite the tepid reviews it received and the fact that I was playing on PC with mouse and keyboard. The camera is usually okay but sometimes really really really awful. Combat against groups is really fun and looks amazing, although it mostly involved me mashing the attack buttons until I do a really insane combo that kills everything. Combat against bosses is a pain in the ass, though. The acrobatics are tons of fun, although it's sometimes tough to get the directions right for all the jumps.

I've been playing my old NES a lot lately and especially the first Castlevania. Something that's always bugged me about that is the jumping, you can't control the direction once you've made a jump, which makes it really hard to avoid all the shit that's coming at you.

spawn-graph.jpg

Sounds crazy...

due sometime today.

Been playing it all night, crazy fun. Last Stand is one crazy level. I keep getting punted off the island by the tank though...

I've been playing my old NES a lot lately and especially the first Castlevania. Something that's always bugged me about that is the jumping, you can't control the direction once you've made a jump, which makes it really hard to avoid all the shit that's coming at you.
Isn't it amazing how people revere games that are so blatantly flawed like that? The ones that did stand the test of time still look good.