Gamers Thread

God, Alyx was such a boring character in HL2. When I first met her in the game I was all "cool, a hot female side-kick!" Then after a while I was like "goddamnit, your personality is about the equivalent of a bad cop show on TV. Go jump in an antlion pit."
Lol, harsh. I thought she was a bit more charming than that. As much as anyone could be while wading knee-deep through apocalyptic urban ruins in waves of alien zombie solders.

God, Alyx was such a boring character in HL2. When I first met her in the game I was all "cool, a hot female side-kick!" Then after a while I was like "goddamnit, your personality is about the equivalent of a bad cop show on TV. Go jump in an antlion pit."
Waay too harsh, man. It is a video game, after all. That said, yeah, she is kind of boring. The only part where I really liked her was in Episode One when you're in the dark and she imitates a headcrab zombie noise and I spun around with my flashlight and she laughed at me. That actually felt like human interaction, and it ruled. But the rest of the time she was boring.

On the other hand, I can't think of many good sidekicks...
Daxter (Jak & Daxter series)

Oblivion sucked.

+ BIG OPEN WORLD
- SHIT STORY
- ZERO NPC INTERACTION
- SHITTY FUCKING SCALING
etc.
BIG OPEN WORLD
AWESOME GRAPHICS
INCREDIBLY FLEXIBLE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
OH, AND A BIG OPEN WORLD

Not really...actually, it was a really beautiful world hampered only by absurdly steep mountains and ogres every 15 feet once you got to a high level (the scaling was gay, true).

One thing I found was stupid was (and I guess this is a scaling issue) is that the game is easier to beat at level one than it is higher levels.

Oblivion was really fun. I'll never forget the first time I ventured outside, the scenery was spellbinding. I dunno, I have a penchant for big colorful fantasy worlds. even if Oblivion's seems slightly over-beautified and filled with overbloom. The game does get repetitive after a while, and the main quest is lame, but the side and faction quests kept me coming back.

Dragon Age: Origins is definitely the best RPG of this generation though. Fuck Bethesda. Bioware is where it is at.

Assassin's Creed II was released yesterday. Has anyone had a chance to play it yet? If so, could you give us some opinions?

Way better than the 1st game...they took everything from the 1st one and expanded it tenfold. There's so much more you can do now...Definitely worth getting.

Speaking of I bought the Collector's Edition:

10870_183011991380_504266380_3071176_5587184_n.jpg

So I have a bunch of Nintendo RPG's I apparently have to get. Do any of you have comments on:

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of time (DS)
Rune Factory: Frontier
Rune Factory 2
Avalon Code
Spectrobes: Origins
Little King's Story
Suikoden Tierkreis
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (really liked the ones on the SNES)

Agreed, just hope SW:TOR lives up to bioware's spotless record.

They're hardly spotless, but they're one of the best.

One of the biggest things I can say against them is Mass Effect ruled. IF YOU DIDN'T DO ANY SIDE MISSIONS.

Main story. Awesome. Side missions - ALL EXACTLY THE SAME.

ugh those rune factory games are so boring

Check out the attract mode intro.

I may have to start up a new game myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, this is the one I had in mind, the 2nd intro sequence that was added to the US and EU versions:

Last edited by a moderator: