Gamers Thread

I was watching my roomate play Mass effect and Dragon Age and it seems like all they do is fucking talk. Long ass dialogue sequences throughout the game, in which they think it's cool now to have good voice overs....txt based RPGs are still the best thing ever, this new age gaming is shit

They're hardly spotless, but they're one of the best.

One of the biggest things I can say against them is Mass Effect ruled. IF YOU DIDN'T DO ANY SIDE MISSIONS.

Main story. Awesome. Side missions - ALL EXACTLY THE SAME.

True, the side quests in Mass Effect did feel like filler... but I don't think any games company has a backlog quite like this :

Shattered Steel 1996
Baldur's Gate 1998
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 1999
MDK2 2000
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 2000
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 2001
Neverwinter Nights 2002
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide 2003
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark 2003
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2003
Jade Empire 2005
Mass Effect 2007
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood 2008
Dragon Age: Origins

Basically every awesome RPG of the last 13 years minus TES and Fallout...

That's not overlooking anything at all.

Am I overlooking other games or just sidelining fallout and TES? If its just fallout and TES then I still think its impressive all these brilliant RPG's came from one studio. There are plenty of rpg's not there (planescape for one, though it was a bioware engine) but I'm not including stuff like Final Fantasy in this, since the format is so different.

Am I overlooking other games or just sidelining fallout and TES? If its just fallout and TES then I still think its impressive all these brilliant RPG's came from one studio. There are plenty of rpg's not there (planescape for one, though it was a bioware engine) but I'm not including stuff like Final Fantasy in this, since the format is so different.
Well, I did have Japanese console RPGs in mind, but as long as we're distinguishing... I was also thinking of Planescape: Torment, yes. I suppose roguelikes and MMOs are also considered separately.

But yes, not trying to take anything away from Bioware's consistency or prolificacy, though I admittedly haven't played many of their games. I really could not stand KoTOR, to be honest. But I also tried playing it after having played WoW, whose strengths are in the fluid controls and combat systems (nevermind that it's an MMO)... and KoTOR just seemed stiff and rigidly paced, to me. I honestly don't understand why people hold it in such high regard.

Well, I did have Japanese console RPGs in mind, but as long as we're distinguishing... I was also thinking of Planescape: Torment, yes. I suppose roguelikes and MMOs are also considered separately.

But yes, not trying to take anything away from Bioware's consistency or prolificacy, though I admittedly haven't played many of their games. I really could not stand KoTOR, to be honest. But I also tried playing it after having played WoW, whose strengths are in the fluid controls and combat systems (nevermind that it's an MMO)... and KoTOR just seemed stiff and rigidly paced, to me. I honestly don't understand why people hold it in such high regard.

Bioware have rarely been innovators or perfectionists in engine/control issues. Kotor was fantastic for me because
1. I love star wars, jedi and all things in a galaxy far far away.

2. The story and companions were brilliant. I wish deep down that HK47 would be in every game.

Bioware rpgs tend to be slightly more slow paced, pause and play tactical rpgs. Its not to everyone tastes however.

Way better than the 1st game...they took everything from the 1st one and expanded it tenfold. There's so much more you can do now...Definitely worth getting.

Speaking of I bought the Collector's Edition:

10870_183011991380_504266380_3071176_5587184_n.jpg
I just read the wikipedia article and I'm so giddy with anticipation now. I cannot wait to get this game! Fortunately, my mom said she would get it for me for Christmas, because I already bought Tekken 6 new and can't afford to keep buying $60 games with no paycheck :(

Yeah it's pretty freakin easy to get addicted to that game. And damn near every quest is an epic one so that doesn't help.

Oh, and top ten lists are fun.
Here's mine, as of now:

Burnout Dominator(best action racer I've ever played)

Heroes of Might and Magic V:Tribes of the East(I only wish the random map generator had been half as good as in Heroes of Might and Magic III)

Grim Fandango(it has become a ritual of sorts to replay it at least once in six months, just to relive the awesomeness).

Sorry for the wait, Mr. Flores,I'm ready to take you now...Are you ready for your big journey?.... the four-year journey of the soul..... Ah, the memories!

Lost Vikings
Fury of the Furries
Grimgrimoire
Dead Space
Sacrifice
Day of the Tentacle(same as Grim Fandango)
Bejeweled Deluxe 2(a casual puzzler, but it's very addictive)

And as a special addendum, Soul Calibur III which I also used to play religiously, and would've continued to, had it not been the case that many burnt versions of this game turn to coasters within a week or two. So, recently I've acquired an original copy, and have been quite satisfied with it thus far.

I agree, top 10 lists are fun. Mine would go something like:

1. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
2. System Shock 2
3. Thief: the Dark Project
4. Baldur's Gate
5. Starcraft
6. Solar Jetman
7. Half-Life / Half-Life 2
8. Civilization 2
9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
10. Deus Ex

1-7 I know are fixed members of the list, but 8-10 are probably interchangeable with a few other games I've played but can't remember at the moment.

I just read the wikipedia article and I'm so giddy with anticipation now. I cannot wait to get this game! Fortunately, my mom said she would get it for me for Christmas, because I already bought Tekken 6 new and can't afford to keep buying $60 games with no paycheck :(

Yeah dude. I just beat it today...and the dialogue during the credits will make you go what the fuck? This is what everyone is talking about...I'm starting to believe this shit too lol...

Wow, you have been playing it non-stop! I think it took me almost a month to beat the first one, but then again I spent most of my time assassinating guards and enjoying the parkour, rather than actually participating in the story.

Wow, you have been playing it non-stop! I think it took me almost a month to beat the first one, but then again I spent most of my time assassinating guards and enjoying the parkour, rather than actually participating in the story.

Yeah...I've played almost 24 hours in total according to the stats lol...the story is kind of shorter if you ask me. But the storyline itself is much more awesome...Especially the fact that Leonardo Da Vinci is helping you in your quests. The last assassination is amazing...you'll laugh your ass off when you see who you have to kill.

I remember I'd always use the code for Minion, and my friend would get pissed off when I would choose him.

As for normal characters, Spectre kicked ass.

Though I haven't played in ages. I think tomorrow I'm going to look for the second one.

Spectre had the missile that would hit the target no matter what right? shit the last time I played that game was like 10 years ago. my sister was incredible at twisted metal and beat the first 3 games with every single character.

I believe Spectre was the one who could shoot his missile through walls and stuff.