Gamers Thread

Can anyone recommend me a pc shooter? I'm looking for something with decent production values (graphics, voice acting, doesn't crash) and design. Doesn't have to be amazing, just something to kill time. Nice graphics are a plus, my comp can run anything that exists. I prefer realism in shooters, but I'll take whatever. A big list is just as good as quality recs.

Half-Life

So...Cataclysm comes out in like an hour. As of right now, I don't plan on purchasing it.

I'll buy it, but tomorrow before work. No sense in preordering or waiting in line for it when the servers will be shit for the first couple days anyway. That and I'm over the whole server first nonsense. Dropped like 17k gold to get server first Tailor in Wrath- talk about a waste of gold. Taking it easy this time around. Smell the roses and such.

Half-Life

Played Half-Life. And also Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Day of Defeat, Half Life 2, both episodes, and Portal. And a bunch of source mods.
Also played:
Fear and Fear 2
Crysis
Far Cry, Far Cry 2
Quake IV
Doom 3
Max Payne 1 and 2
Deus Ex
Bioshock (didn't finish, didn't like)
The Ball
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (not really a shooter, I guess)
All three STALKER games
Recently bought L4D2
Stranglehold (haven't finished it, though...got bored)
All the Hitman games
Both Kane and Lynch games (both suck, dunno why I bothered)
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
Halo and Halo 2 (didn't finish either, got bored)
All the Call of Duty games
The new Medal of Honor
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Dead Space (again not reaaally a shooter)
Lots of others, I'm sure, but feel free to rec anything not on this list. Looking for single-player here, btw

Picked up BlazBlue Calamity Trigger. Pretty cool game, I'm already winning on Hell difficulty with Hakumen and Jin though... and I dont really think I'm that good at the game.

Really? How Bad? I haven't played it yet, but always thought it would be cool to play in the universe. If its god awful I won't make myself suffer.

If you like WoW then I'm sure you'll be fine. My problem lies with the camera (it sucks), the unreadable fonts used in the game (especially great; white font over a snowy background = excellent reading), and the general game-play (it's mainly a pve game).

The game can be beautiful, but it certainly didn't look it on my comp (which infuriated me because I can run mostly everything on high and have no negative feedback - this game however would just suck up all the resources and give nothing back).

Played Half-Life. And also Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Day of Defeat, Half Life 2, both episodes, and Portal. And a bunch of source mods.
Also played:
Fear and Fear 2
Crysis
Far Cry, Far Cry 2
Quake IV
Doom 3
Max Payne 1 and 2
Deus Ex
Bioshock (didn't finish, didn't like)
The Ball
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (not really a shooter, I guess)
All three STALKER games
Recently bought L4D2
Stranglehold (haven't finished it, though...got bored)
All the Hitman games
Both Kane and Lynch games (both suck, dunno why I bothered)
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
Halo and Halo 2 (didn't finish either, got bored)
All the Call of Duty games
The new Medal of Honor
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Dead Space (again not reaaally a shooter)
Lots of others, I'm sure, but feel free to rec anything not on this list. Looking for single-player here, btw

Deus Ex Invisible war (not as good as the first but still fun if you get into it I think)

Just Cause 2 (haven't played the first but this one is great for single player, super open world and tons of really cool explosions and fun stuff to play around with just decimating the fuck out of everything; looks really good too)

Half life 2 (haven't seen it there in your list but I imagine you've played it, definitely if not play it on max settings and then play all the episodes that are out)

Fallout 3 (technically an rpg but it's like elder scrolls oblivion except instead of swords you have guns. fast paced in terms of the action i think and very engrossing and will take you forever to beat; definitely one of the best action oriented rpg's and it even has a first person view)

Grand theft auto IV (pretty obvious but just in case; it's really fun on pc plus they have the episodes from liberty city expansion on pc which is realllyyy fucking fun)

whatever the newest Unreal Tournament game is; it's best online but single player with a shitload of bots can be fun for a while.

These are the ones that pop into my head so if you haven't checked those they are definitely worth your time.

Bought Just Cause 2 fairly cheap the other day. Oh boy... the first mission was EPIC!! Single handedly attacking a mountain base in the middle of the night = Win!. Now I just have 1000 square kilometers left to explore, which is great!

Bought Just Cause 2 fairly cheap the other day. Oh boy... the first mission was EPIC!! Single handedly attacking a mountain base in the middle of the night = Win!. Now I just have 1000 square kilometers left to explore, which is great!

Yeah when I played it my computer sucked so it took a lot of the coolness out because it would lag like fuck and didn't even look good. now that I updated my computer I'm thinking of re-installing it and putting it on max settings and just blowing shit up in full detail with a perfect frame rate. honestly the first level isn't even my favorite, shortly after that when you get to rappel up and down 2 sky scrapers killing people along the way is fucking awesome; the entire game is just filled with cinematic awesome moments and the only downside i had was its complete freedom sometimes lost me (story not super compelling).

Lord of the Rings Online is F2P now. Anyone interested or already playing?

I have been playing for about a year now, Have a level 65 Lore-Master and a few Low Level alts.

It is a good game, if you ever play just look up for Incanous(Main), snuggems, Zigthol or Thandelth on the Landroval server.

Deus Ex Invisible war (not as good as the first but still fun if you get into it I think)

Just Cause 2 (haven't played the first but this one is great for single player, super open world and tons of really cool explosions and fun stuff to play around with just decimating the fuck out of everything; looks really good too)

Half life 2 (haven't seen it there in your list but I imagine you've played it, definitely if not play it on max settings and then play all the episodes that are out)

Fallout 3 (technically an rpg but it's like elder scrolls oblivion except instead of swords you have guns. fast paced in terms of the action i think and very engrossing and will take you forever to beat; definitely one of the best action oriented rpg's and it even has a first person view)

Grand theft auto IV (pretty obvious but just in case; it's really fun on pc plus they have the episodes from liberty city expansion on pc which is realllyyy fucking fun)

whatever the newest Unreal Tournament game is; it's best online but single player with a shitload of bots can be fun for a while.

These are the ones that pop into my head so if you haven't checked those they are definitely worth your time.

Played all of those except GTA. Don't really like the GTA series, and yes I know how weird that is. And the latest UT, but yeah not a huge fan of bots.
Thinking of replaying Invisible War, though. Been salivating over the new Deus Ex game.

It's really fun for a while, but there's a really small number of things you can do relative to the number of times you're expected to do them, even just to get through the story mode. I got to like 36% completion and got bored, and I'm something of a completion fetishist.

Tried L4D2 a bit. I was hoping it'd be a bit less cartoony, but it's fine. Played with some random people online and the teamwork is meh, though.
Could be really fun with a coordinated team.

God damnit I cannot wait to have it in my hands...And I can't wait for when the movie starts being pieced together (Yes there making a movie).

A Little fact for this game, if you let Shepherd die at the end of Mass Effect 2, your save file will not carry over. So if anyone has let him die, then best you redo it so he doesn't die lol...

Last edited by a moderator: