Gamers Thread

What's a good open-world PC RPG? I've played the shit out of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas. Not really interested in going back to Fallout 1 + 2, and TES 1 + 2 are pretty much fucking unplayable. Really jonesing for some free-form role-playing. Considering Two Worlds, if anyone can report on that.

GOD I FUCKING WANT SKYRIM.
Also Human Revolution, Crysis 2, Diablo 3, the next Hitman game, and hell I'm even vaguely interested in Dungeon Siege 3.

I haven't played it, but Arcanum is supposed to be pretty damn good and fits your description, if it's not too primitive.

Dead Space 2 worth it? Played the first one and really liked it. Dont have XBL, so just wondering if the SP on DS2 would still be worth the £££

What's a good open-world PC RPG? I've played the shit out of Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and New Vegas. Not really interested in going back to Fallout 1 + 2, and TES 1 + 2 are pretty much fucking unplayable. Really jonesing for some free-form role-playing. Considering Two Worlds, if anyone can report on that.

GOD I FUCKING WANT SKYRIM.
Also Human Revolution, Crysis 2, Diablo 3, the next Hitman game, and hell I'm even vaguely interested in Dungeon Siege 3.

I've heard both bad and good things about Two Worlds. Noone claims its a great game, but some can appreciate its 'charm' more than others I guess. A lot of flaws that if overlooked can lead to a good time overall.

Speaking of flawed games with a special charm, I finally broke down and ordered Deadly Premonition from an online source as I havent been able to find it in a store for the last year.

I haven't played it, but Arcanum is supposed to be pretty damn good and fits your description, if it's not too primitive.

Not too primitive, but reviews seem to indicate it's crap. Thanks, though.

I've heard both bad and good things about Two Worlds. Noone claims its a great game, but some can appreciate its 'charm' more than others I guess. A lot of flaws that if overlooked can lead to a good time overall.

Speaking of flawed games with a special charm, I finally broke down and ordered Deadly Premonition from an online source as I havent been able to find it in a store for the last year.
Gonna give it a shot.

Started a mage character in Dragon Age, but was bored within an hour. Something about that game just does not vibe with me, idk what it is cause it's clearly a well-crafted, great-looking, well written game.

Not too primitive, but reviews seem to indicate it's crap. Thanks, though.

Strange, I've heard mostly good things about it. It was highly recommended to me by a friend who loves Deus Ex, Planescape and Fallout, among other games. (Although he acknowledged it had balancing issues.)

Speaking of Deus Ex, I'm actually playing it now and am something like 20 hours into it. It's longer than I expected it to be, and for that I'm thankful. I've started it many times before but each time something got in the way before I could get more than a few hours into it (last time my sound card crapped out). Despite its many flaws I don't think I've ever played a better game.

Indeed, Deus Ex is absolutely fucking fantastic. I am incredibly eager to play the new one. Although part of me knows there's absolutely no chance it'll be as good as the first one, I've read a shitload of previews and it seems like it actually might be thaaat fucking awesome.

The cinematic trailer for the new Deus Ex is easily in the top three for any trailer i've seen for a game; then again that means next to nothing about the actually game other than it will be at least a visual treat.

Not only are the graphics really nice, but they perfectly capture the aesthetic the series is going for, and really stand out from other games, which seem to fall into to categories: "Shoot the brown guy in the brown world with the bloom lighting" and "Sorry, we just waxed the everything." I remain skeptical about the switching between first and third person, but it's not like the first person perspective was truly that integral to Deus Ex so as long as it's done well a little third person is hardly the end of the world.
The whole claymore-ceiling-drop thing does worry me a bit. Can't help but worry that the levels will be set up such that there are a couple very obvious, very distinct paths, with people just standing around waiting to be killed in a specific way ("Gee, that red barrel looks nice, why don't we all go stand around it/directly under that skylight/near a ledge?").
As far as the man-sized-vents in every highly-secure military installation go, I'm split. On the one hand, that is staying true to the original. On the other hand, it was always vaguely ridiculous.

Can anyone recommend me some good PS2 platformers? I've already played through the Jak games a few years ago, gonna probably pick up the first one and then the third. Already planning on picking up the first three Sly as well.

If this actually does what it says on the tin, I will be sorely tempted to play it despite my abiding hatred for all online multiplayer and mumorpeggers in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Razer Onza comes out soon I think, although not a stick it is a lot cheaper than one.

http://a.fsdn.com/gc/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ouza_versions-544x440.png

- Wired (compatible with a converter)
- Improved D-pad, kind of similar to the PS Pad in that it has 4 directional buttons as opposed to the disc on the standard pad.
- Analog sticks can be manually adjusted to change sensitivity (small ring underneath the thumb stick is used to adjust)
- Has an extra shoulder button on each side which you can assign an additional button to, two switches on the back of the controller to change the mapping.
- Usable as a PC controller
- Comes in two versions, "Razer Tournament Editon $49.99 / Razer Standard Edition $39.99". Standard edition doesn't include the back lighting and adjustable analogs.

Razer is a good PC gaming company so It'll be interesting to see their first product for the 360 (I believe).

If you're strictly looking for a stick though, you'd have to tell me your price range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg
If this actually does what it says on the tin, I will be sorely tempted to play it despite my abiding hatred for all online multiplayer and mumorpeggers in particular.

I played Darkfall with a couple of friends when it was released a year ago. It's definitely the worst MMO out there in every aspect possible but I still had a blast with it for a month. Highlights include being alt+tabbed for 40+ min while auto-swimming to/from clan base to main island, and being shot down by random guard towers and losing all my items (and having to swim for another 40 min) that were scattered throughout the world because I defended my clan base from intruders and made me go red (labeled as a pker) for a full week until I finally found some elf that agreed to be killed for money to regain my karma points.

Definitely a very masochistic experience, but for the love of God don't spend a dime on it.