Gamers Thread

^Seriously hyped for Infinite. The reviews all say it's amazing and Bioshock 1 is in my top 5 games of all time (Bioshock 2 is also excellent). I'm hearing that the console version has noticeably weaker visuals than the PC but, for the time being, there's no way I can afford a decent gaming rig and if the graphics are half as good as Bioshock 1 was on Xbox I'll be perfectly happy.

ME3 was the best of the trilogy IMO, as long as you don't play it as a stand-alone. I didn't even mind the ending, and I think the fan-reaction was absolutely ridiculous, not to mention that EA actually gave in to it.

Plan to replay the whole trilogy in the near future though, now that all the DLC is out.

I haven't had major complaints myself with 3 yet, though overall I felt like the character development was better in the previous two games. Again, I haven't gone past the mid point yet.

Elder Scrolls Online is shaping up to be rather interesting and takes care of three of my MMO pet peeves/wish lists.

1) Open-ended customization. I'm not talking about how you look, but how you build yourself out. You pick a class to start, and that just determines three class specific perk trees you have access to. For example: the Dragon Knight gets Ardent Flame (fire skills), Draconic Power (physical effect) and Earthen Heart (defensive/protective skills). As a Dragonknight you can choose to put skill points in these trees, or forego them completely to focus on other perk lines based on what type of armor/weapons you are using, what race you are, and other unlocks such as mage guild, vampire, etc. Very open ended and takes the best design features from Skyrim.

2) A dark atmosphere. I get so sick of the cartoony or generally bright MMO atmospheres. The last two I've played, WoW and Guild Wars 2, while not the worst, leave me wanting. Elder Scrolls Online takes me back to the dark MMO theme like Warhammer Online.

3) More focus on the open world rather than instances. While there are instanced dungeons there appear to be a large variety of open world dungeons that are possible solo, but the deeper you get the more difficult it becomes. The huge open world PvP zone will also hopefully improve upon GW2s mostly failed WvW system, while also having open-world dungeons here too. Nothing like fighting other players over a rare boss spawn.

I've always been forced to the conclusion that zoned designated specifically for world PvP leave for lack lust, non personal enounters, so I've never been a fan of them. Simple open world pvp while out in the wilderness is so much more satisfying, and frustrating, which leads to some great dynamics between players.

Ya know, I agree to a certain extent, but then you get into the PvE/PvP server split and having to choose one over the other. IMO make the PvP zone the most rewarding one for PvE also. Maybe not by a huge margin, but if you up drop rates, add more resource nodes, etc. It will give the same sort of dynamic, but without forcing any sort of PvE/PvP split. Sometimes you just wanna zone out and farm. Other times you want a more intense experience.

ME3 was the best of the trilogy IMO, as long as you don't play it as a stand-alone. I didn't even mind the ending, and I think the fan-reaction was absolutely ridiculous, not to mention that EA actually gave in to it.

Plan to replay the whole trilogy in the near future though, now that all the DLC is out.

You know the part that sticks out to me in the third is:

*SPOILER ALERT*

When you get as many fleets as possible and you finally meet the reapers on earth head on, that shit was so epic! All ships just going through the relays and there's just this ridiculous fleet of ships that was so awesome. Just lasers flying everywhere like star wars.

Battlefield 4 looks awesome. I didn't really notice anything new, besides the Squad Leader commands.

But damn visually this game is nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had major complaints myself with 3 yet, though overall I felt like the character development was better in the previous two games. Again, I haven't gone past the mid point yet.

By mid-point, do you mean when Cerberus attacks the Citadel? Or another Priority mission? The ending is great, by the way. You won't be disappointed.

^Seriously hyped for Infinite. The reviews all say it's amazing and Bioshock 1 is in my top 5 games of all time (Bioshock 2 is also excellent). I'm hearing that the console version has noticeably weaker visuals than the PC but, for the time being, there's no way I can afford a decent gaming rig and if the graphics are half as good as Bioshock 1 was on Xbox I'll be perfectly happy.

BioShock Infinite is fucking brilliant :kickass:. I've been playing it almost non-stop since it came out, and I'm enjoying my Premium Edition of it (I wanted the Ultimate Songbird Edition of it, but I couldn't afford $149.99 for it, though). Also, I bought my Season Pass, so I'm looking forward to future DLC.

BTW if you haven't bought a Season Pass already, be sure to.

BioShock Infinite is fucking brilliant :kickass:. I've been playing it almost non-stop since it came out, and I'm enjoying my Premium Edition of it (I wanted the Ultimate Songbird Edition of it, but I couldn't afford $149.99 for it, though). Also, I bought my Season Pass, so I'm looking forward to future DLC.

BTW if you haven't bought a Season Pass already, be sure to.

So, I've finished it and it's probably one of the best games in recent memory. I'm not going to lie though, I didn't enjoy it as much as Bioshock 1. Maybe it's just because my expectations were so damn high but I just couldn't get into it like I did the first game. That being said, it took me a few playthroughs of the first one to fully appreciate it so I'm hoping it's the same for this one. The ending, however, blows Bioshock 1 out of the water (heh, I didn't even mean to do that) and it's probably the best I've seen in a game next to Spec Ops: The Line.

Yeah, I bought the Season Pass and I feel dirty for doing so. I know I'm getting the DLC for cheaper nd all but it's obvious that the devs will have already finished most of what they will release and are just using this as a cash grab. They probably could have put this stuff on the disc, especially when you consider the fact that this game was delayed three times. However, Minerva's Den is one of the best campaign DLCs I've played so I know that these will probably still be good.

On another gaming-related note, I just bought this:

xTMS4200.jpg

Wow. I want to finish the first BIoshock now.

I am actually thinking of purchasing my own Ps3 (i use my brother's so you know how that is...) along with Metal Gear Rising sometime soon. This game looks amazing too. Huge fan of the MG series, and i want to play this!

Wow. I want to finish the first BIoshock now.

I am actually thinking of purchasing my own Ps3 (i use my brother's so you know how that is...) along with Metal Gear Rising sometime soon. This game looks amazing too. Huge fan of the MG series, and i want to play this!

You should play Bioshock 2 as well. While it's not as impactful as the first game, it fixes a lot of the problems that the original had. You're able to duel wield plasmids with weapons, which makes the action way more satisfying. The plasmid upgrades are also way cooler. There are way more enemy types, meaning that combat can get really interesting. The Big Sister fights are particularly fun. I enjoyed the hacking minigame in the original but this one is much more fluid and it doesn't take you out of the action. The game also doesn't lose any of its steam during the last few hours, which is the main problem with the first Bioshock (I think Ken Levine said this was mainly due to the suits and he wanted the game to end way earlier). Anyway, I remember feeling much more satisified with the final sections of Bioshock 2 than with Bioshock 1. I still prefer Bioshock 1 but I think of 2 as being the Aliens to Bioshock's Alien. It's not as groundbreaking but it's a damn good sequel.

You should also play Minerva's Den i you get the chance. I'd say it's on par with, if not slightly better, than the main game.

MGR was the only Metal Gear I had played outside of MGS2 at the time (I'm working my way through MGS 3 now though) but I really enjoyed it. It's a great action game made by the best action game developers out there.

You should play Bioshock 2 as well. While it's not as impactful as the first game, it fixes a lot of the problems that the original had. You're able to duel wield plasmids with weapons, which makes the action way more satisfying. The plasmid upgrades are also way cooler. There are way more enemy types, meaning that combat can get really interesting. The Big Sister fights are particularly fun. I enjoyed the hacking minigame in the original but this one is much more fluid and it doesn't take you out of the action. The game also doesn't lose any of its steam during the last few hours, which is the main problem with the first Bioshock (I think Ken Levine said this was mainly due to the suits and he wanted the game to end way earlier). Anyway, I remember feeling much more satisified with the final sections of Bioshock 2 than with Bioshock 1. I still prefer Bioshock 1 but I think of 2 as being the Aliens to Bioshock's Alien. It's not as groundbreaking but it's a damn good sequel.

I love BioShock 2. Subject Delta makes for a damn good protagonist, and like you said I love the Big Sister fights.

:tickled:Interesting question:

Alpha Series Big Daddy (not Subject Delta) vs. Fireman from Infinite?
Big Sister vs. Handyman?

I love BioShock 2. Subject Delta makes for a damn good protagonist, and like you said I love the Big Sister fights.

:tickled:Interesting question:

Alpha Series Big Daddy (not Subject Delta) vs. Fireman from Infinite?
Big Sister vs. Handyman?

The Alpha Series, seeing as he's way more adaptable. If Booker can kill one so can an Alpha.
The Big Sister. Try setting a Big Daddy on a Big Sister in 2 without intervening and see what happens.