Gamers Thread

I don't get to game as much as I would like, but there are a few gaming groups in my general area I attend if I have the time. I got to play RR before I bought it that way. A quite similar game with a DnD theme is Lords of Waterdeep, which by now even has some expansions. I played it most recently and enjoyed it as well, but I think RR is a better game. I know one guy who has like 4-5 bookcases full of board/card games. I have like 4-5 Euro games, then the US standards like Monopoly/Risk/Scrabble etc. After playing any decent Euro game, the US games just seem so.....childish.

Terra Mystica is possibly the most complex game I have every played, and of course has tons of pieces, and usually runs in the $70 range. It's on my list to get.

terraplay.jpg

That, also, looks intriguing... and sounds familiar. I have a thing for games with miniatures, fun to paint. Plus there's just something about moving various models around and trying to keep track of dozens of counts that appeals to my inner accountant.

I'll have to see if our gaming haunt has that Lords of Waterdeep.

20130707171424595_1.jpg

This is the base set for Lords of Waterdeep. I played it with the expansion "Scoundrels of Skullport", which has received a pretty high rating on Boardgamegeek.

pic1692733_md.jpg

So anyone who has an Xbox One getting Titanfall? THIS GAME IS FUCKING SICK!

I've heard alot of people say this is a fresh new FPS.

The Xbox One is going to have to come down quite a bit and not include the Kinect in a bundle before I get one.

On a board gaming note, attended a university based group the other night. Played Russian Railroads and "Super Dungeon Explore". Like a mix between Heroscape and DnD:

pic1243794_md.jpg

Of course the set we played with didn't have the figures colored etc. Still pretty fun.

The Xbox One is going to have to come down quite a bit and not include the Kinect in a bundle before I get one.

On a board gaming note, attended a university based group the other night. Played Russian Railroads and "Super Dungeon Explore". Like a mix between Heroscape and DnD:

pic1243794_md.jpg

Of course the set we played with didn't have the figures colored etc. Still pretty fun.

Lol... the kinectless Xbox One is never going to happen. It's part of the system.

Kingdom-Builder-board-3.jpg

(Not a shot of my game)

Got my Kingdom Builder+ all expansions set. Tried out just the base+ Capital expansion with the wifey tonight. Will add in Nomads and Crossroads later.

Microsoft have just been fucking retards with the whole thing. The kinect was a bad idea to begin with, but the only way it could have worked would be making it a pack-in. By going back on that they've made every kinect they've already sold completely worthless.

I remember watching the PS4 reveal conference and thinking how hard Microsoft were going to steamroll Sony if they could just keep their shit together. Then they completely shat the bed. I feel a little bit bad for everyone who bought an XBone at launch, but then again that was a pretty poor decision.

My girlfriend and I are working on catching all... 719 Pokemon, come hell or high water. She attended some of the events you hear about on the street where Nintendo gave away certain Pokemon you can't find anywhere else, so we might be trading some of those in interest of filling the Pokedex.

To anyone who plays Fire Emblem Awakening in Classic mode, have you ever continued playing after one of your characters died? I can see the charm in risking to lose a character forever as it adds more tension but when you can just restart a mission there's never a reason to go on.

It's a similar problem to the traps in Baldur's Gate, there's no reason to have a thief constantly scanning for traps when you can just do quicksaves and restart right after you've walked into a trap.

It's a similar problem to the traps in Baldur's Gate, there's no reason to have a thief constantly scanning for traps when you can just do quicksaves and restart right after you've walked into a trap.

Simple solution: if you do this you're a pussy.

I recommend XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Ironman mode. Oughta set you straight.

So I've played the Original Far Cry for the first time. I've never played a Far Cry game before, so it's kind of new to me and I like it so far especially the open world aspect of it.

I bought the Far Cry Compilation which came out a couple days ago I think. It included Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3 and Far Cry Blood Dragon Expansion Pack. So this should keep me busy for a bit in anticipation for Far Cry 4

I thought both Far Cry 1 and 2 were really ambitious but deeply flawed. FC1 by the enemy AI and the bullet-sponge enemies in the later game, FC2 by the awkward shooting and repetitive missions. FC3 mostly nailed it, but the story is complete garbage and the mission design is generally poor. All are well worth playing, with FC3 being the best and easily one of my favorite games from the last 10 years.

I didn't love Blood Dragon. It felt a little too AWESOME. Definitely give it a shot, though.

^If you wanna win, definitely go with the Chaos Marines. My bf plays them and he's pretty much undefeated, plus they look cool as fuck. Can't say much for Astra because haven't come across any, Imperial Guard seems least popular but that could be a purely aesthetic thing.

Also the newest Chaos codex beefed them up big time, they probably have the best additions of any army recently.

I made the mistake of goin with Tyranids because I love how they look so much and they just get lamer and lamer... at least they look cool as they're being annihilated by all the marine players I know haha.