Gamers Thread

Desktop fo' shizzle.

It might cost a bit more, but you'll get better graphics, better framerates, access to mods etc, plus if you pirate it makes it a lot easier. And even if you buy your games, Steam sales and bundles mean that as long as you have a little patience you never need to pay full price.

Plus, the PS4 has like...10 games? I dunno. With a PC you can play any PC game ever, plus with emulators you can play any console game up through the PS2 generation.

There are going to be fewer and fewer actual console exclusives this generation, so you might as well just buy a PC.

it'll cost double or triple more... but a desktop is upgradable while a ps4 is not.

and yea most console games will come to the pc as well... except fighting games and jrpgs

i guess i'll blow my money on a beastly pc (first games will be dark souls 2 and titanfall then da3) then mayyybe get a ps4 if ffxv and kh3 get good reviews or a new tekken comes out

You can build a decent gaming rig for the price of a console, but for double or triple you can build a seriously future-proofed beast. Budget PCs are great, but there's no feeling like splurging and building a monster.

No clue how anyone can trust EA-Bioware anymore to even put out something remotely resembling a good game

Especially since The Witcher 3 is going to be out in February and will be 10x the game that DA3 will be

Well them are fightin' words. You seriously didn't enjoy any of the Diablo or Dragon Age games? Are you sure it's not your inner anime nerd just being upset there's not enough storyline and codex crap to read? :lol:

yea i'll try to keep it under 800 and still have 4ghz and a good radeon card

Well them are fightin' words. You seriously didn't enjoy any of the Diablo or Dragon Age games? Are you sure it's not your inner anime nerd just being upset there's not enough storyline and codex crap to read? :lol:

Why would Diablo be relevant? It's made by Blizzard and came out on PC first. Also, 3 was kinda meh and the free PC-only Path of Exile is a much better sequel to Diablo 2.

Beyond that, the Bioware name means nothing anymore. I don't mean I'm an upset fanboy, I mean EA just rebrands other studios "Bioware" because they know people have loyalty to the name. I would be cautious about DA3, although it seems like they know they shat the bed with 2. Just wait for reviews.

Why would Diablo be relevant? It's made by Blizzard and came out on PC first. Also, 3 was kinda meh and the free PC-only Path of Exile is a much better sequel to Diablo 2.

Beyond that, the Bioware name means nothing anymore. I don't mean I'm an upset fanboy, I mean EA just rebrands other studios "Bioware" because they know people have loyalty to the name. I would be cautious about DA3, although it seems like they know they shat the bed with 2. Just wait for reviews.

As someone who can barely afford gas in the car, with a hand-me-down desktop computer, console-based games are very relevant. It's not a brand loyalty thing, it's a, what are some immersive games for my xbox 360? thing. I'd have to say Dragon Age, The Witcher, and Diablo 3, along with the Elder Scroll series, are some of the best fantasy-based rpg's available.

If you know of others, glad to hear about them. But I suspect you're almost exclusively a PC gamer. Good for you, I am truly jealous.

As someone who can barely afford gas in the car, with a hand-me-down desktop computer, console-based games are very relevant. It's not a brand loyalty thing, it's a, what are some immersive games for my xbox 360? thing. I'd have to say Dragon Age, The Witcher, and Diablo 3, along with the Elder Scroll series, are some of the best fantasy-based rpg's available.

If you know of others, glad to hear about them. But I suspect you're almost exclusively a PC gamer. Good for you, I am truly jealous.

Well, even with an older computer there's a wealth of great RPGs on PC.

First off, there are the non-3D ones. Classics like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Diablo, and newer stuff such as the Spiderweb Software RPGs (I highly recommend Nethergate: Resurrection and Avadon: The Black Fortress) or The Banner Saga. This stuff will run on any computer, but aside from Diablo and Diablo-likes it's all turn-based.

I don't know what the specs of your computer are, but I'll just rattle off some slightly older 3D action RPGs that I endorse: Morrowind, KOTOR, Dungeon Siege, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Divinity 2, Titan Quest.

I don't mean to hate on consoles. If you're on a budget and already have a console then obviously stick with it. But if someone is trying to decide between a console and a PC, I'd recommend a PC. Also, you may not know this, but based on his prostitute habit I don't think money is a huge constraint for Aug here.

fuck me i'm gonna have to skip a few weeks of whores for this thing :(

my old desktop died and i can't stand this shitty toaster of a laptop

bundlestars.com + humblebundle = I've got like 500+ games in my library despite being a broke-ass college student.

I think a mix of DAO and DA2 would have made it the best RPG of all time. I like aspects of both.

All I want out of DA3 is great story telling and a massive world bigger than DAO. None of that Linear Dungeon shit that was so evident in DA2, too many dungeons just had different linear paths, but had the same environments visually.

LOTR: Shadow of Mordor should be fucking sweet too.

Well, even with an older computer there's a wealth of great RPGs on PC.

First off, there are the non-3D ones. Classics like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Fallout, Diablo, and newer stuff such as the Spiderweb Software RPGs (I highly recommend Nethergate: Resurrection and Avadon: The Black Fortress) or The Banner Saga. This stuff will run on any computer, but aside from Diablo and Diablo-likes it's all turn-based.

I don't know what the specs of your computer are, but I'll just rattle off some slightly older 3D action RPGs that I endorse: Morrowind, KOTOR, Dungeon Siege, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Divinity 2, Titan Quest.

I don't mean to hate on consoles. If you're on a budget and already have a console then obviously stick with it. But if someone is trying to decide between a console and a PC, I'd recommend a PC. Also, you may not know this, but based on his prostitute habit I don't think money is a huge constraint for Aug here.

I can give those a try, but this old 'puter has a heart attack every once in awhile and it's just not as reliable as my consoles. I've played Diablo 2, Torchlight, and Spore on it but even if it wasn't an asshole may as well just stick to a system that isn't completely outdated.

I have had a chance to play the fuck out of Baldur's Gate on ps2 and half-play KOTOR on the 360 though. Great fuckin games. Consoles admittedly are somewhat my preference, I have most of them. Never had a great computer.

The PS2 Baldur's Gate is not the one I'm talking about. The original Baldur's Gate games are the precursors to Dragon Age. D&D based, giant epic adventures, loads of side quests, dialogue choices, interaction between party members, etc.

Well... that sure sounds like the BG: Dark Alliance series for ps2. Maybe having never played it and being a PC enthusiast you jump to conclusions and assume simplicity. I'm sure the original PC Baldur's Gate is longer and maybe more immersive due to not using a tiny controller to get shit done.

You should look into Champions of Norrath if you doubt console RPG's. Exclusive to ps2, and a truly excellent game.

I've played both the PC and PS2 games and they are very different. The PS2 version is like a top-down hack n slash.

I've played the PS2 game briefly, and have nothing against it, but it's not the game I'm talking about. That one is an action-RPG whereas the PC game is a pretty faithful recreation of D&D mechanics similar to Neverwinter Nights.

I have nothing against console RPGs, but the lack of backwards compatibility in the last two console generations is alarming. Add in dramatically increased mechanical failure rates compared to older consoles, and it won't be all that long till the last 360 or PS3 stops working and countless games are simply lost (unless someone gets some emulation going). I'm not some sort of PC gaming snob, but the gradual disappearance of local multiplayer from consoles has really decreased my interest in them.