Gamers Thread

So Rise of the Tomb Raider, god damn... I have never seen such beautiful graphics and seriously the game itself is fucking fun as hell. Ever since Crystal Dynamics took over the franchise it's been fucking awesome. These guys know what they are doing!

This made me check OpenTTD for mobile. Few years ago it was ported but without UI change, didn't play it but I can't imagine it being playable. I mean, just look at the controls on top of the screen.
screenshot_1354632196.png

^Thats redonk.

Shadow Era is a pretty good go-to for phone gaming, decent mtg clone. Also really dug shark attack for awhile. Excellent for sitting at secretary of state.

Board games translate to mobile really well in most cases, especially tablets. Mobile adaptations for Ticket to Ride and Suburbia are especially good (TTR definitely better on a tablet though). Splendor has an official app, but I think the free copycat "Prestige" is better. Carcassonne has an ok app adaptation but your mileage may vary.

Lords of waterdeep is an excellent mobile board game. I just finished playing a couple rounds of it actually. It's based on d&d but focuses more on the political intrigue than the dice rolling and monster slaying.

Im guessing Lords of Waterdeep is iOS only? Don't think I've seen it. I have the physical game. Very basic worker placement game but a good introduction to the genre.

I only play turn-based games on my phone because the controls on mobile are crap for most real-time games.

I've been playing clash of clans for two years now. Still only ever check my collectors on the phone and play on the tablet. I'm not a fan of app games for the most part. I hate time wasters that go on forever and the whole pay to win dynamic so many games force on you.

The only mobile games that I play are ports of retro RPGs and emulated retro RPGs. Mainly Dragon Quest.

Yeah I have it + the expansion + custom meeples to replace the cubes (makes a big difference in "theme") + metal coins from a kickstarter to replace to cardboard coins lol. The mechanics are very straightforward in the base game, the expansion adds the "Corruption" wrinkle.

Once you feel pretty comfortable with the worker placement mechanic there are a ton of games in that genre that find innovative ways to make use of it. if you want to try something slightly more difficult but similar to LoW, you should check out Manhatten Project.

Reactions: Baroque
Yeah I have it + the expansion + custom meeples to replace the cubes (makes a big difference in "theme") + metal coins from a kickstarter to replace to cardboard coins lol. The mechanics are very straightforward in the base game, the expansion adds the "Corruption" wrinkle.

Once you feel pretty comfortable with the worker placement mechanic there are a ton of games in that genre that find innovative ways to make use of it. if you want to try something slightly more difficult but similar to LoW, you should check out Manhatten Project.

That's cool. Yeah I'm really new to the board gaming thing in general but apparently I like worker placement games. I just played my first couple games of Carcassonne last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a lot more simple than LoW but still enjoyable. Do you visit the BGG forums too? I haven't yet but I've been considering it to get some recommendations. I'll look into the Manhattan Project, thanks.

Im not active on BGG per se but I use it for game reviews etc. There's a ton of variety in worker placement games so you can find plenty of themes or additional mechanics you like. Carcassonne is a classic but it's considered a "Tile Placement" game.

I have ~3 bookshelves of games, even though I combine expansions into the base game box when I can. Definitely my main hobby. I actually don't own MP but it's on a wishlist.

I have the undermountain expansion for it but I don't like some aspects that it brings to the game, for example those 40 victory point quests which are super cheap. Makes completing some of the more balanced quests not worth it. So I'm hesitant to get the skullport expansion. Plus corruption seems like it might get annoying like plague counters in Magic the gathering or something. Do you recommend skullport?

I didn't know you could get them separately, they were both in the Skullport box I got iirc. It basically adds resource getting options but there's a negative aspect, and it becomes more negative the more they are used. Certain intrigue and quest cards will let you unload them though. Risk/reward.

Yeah on iOS they're purchased separately. I decided to buy the physical game too though I like it so much. Guess I'll get skullport on mobile first to see if it's worth buying for the board game. What is your board gaming group like?