Gamers Thread

Speaking of Zelda, my dad recently gave me his Nintendo Wii and so I've started playing Skyward Sword. It's pretty bad so far. Easily the worst one I've played.

The combat of SS is easily the best in the series, but it does suffer from a poor game world. It is at least better than Twilight Princess.

I actually really liked Twilight Princess. I've not played it since it came out though so I'm not as familiar with it as some of the others. I played the Gamecube version if that makes any difference. The dungeons I've done in SS just haven't been great so far. Also, while I'm not one that usually cares about graphics, they are extremely bad. I'm also not a fan of the art style of the game either.

Yeah, graphically the game isn't the best, but I absolutely love the art style. It has my personal favorite design for Zelda herself out of any of the games.

Either way, its no Wind Waker thats for sure.

Reactions: CiG
The combat of SS is easily the best in the series, but it does suffer from a poor game world. It is at least better than Twilight Princess.

What the fuck are you talking about? Twilight Princess absolutely rapes Skyward Sword. Fuck Wind Waker is even better than Skyward Sword.

If your going by combat system. Then ok. But if you are saying the complete game then the fuck. I'd love to hear your logic on why you think Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess.

It's a pretty common opinion among Zelda fans that Twilight Princess isn't great and is one of the worst in the series. They usually trash whichever one is the newest at the time, though.

Majora's Mask seems to be considered the best in the series these days and there are a lot of vocal Wind Waker fans.

SS's world felt more alive than TP which is impressive considering SS's world is pretty damn sparse. I also really didn't like how the wolf form was implemented. I was hoping for Okami there, but didn't get that at all. It just felt clunky.

As said though, SS's combat is amazing. Best in the series, but it looks like BotW could overtake it if everything is as good as it looks.

Wind Waker is my choice for best 3D Zelda.

Sometimes I forget that Zelda is still a franchise, or that people still spend money on Nintendo for that matter.

Been laying low on gaming lately. Anyone have any worthwhile suggestions for PS3 or PS4?

Wind Waker is absolutely my favourite of all the LoZ games, but I really don't understand the level of hate Twilight Princess gets.

Really fucking excited to play Sea Of Thieves btw.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I look forward to playing the new Zelda on an emulator a decade from now.

I get the feeling I'm about the only TBS guy on this forum.

*cough*

Spent most of yesterday playing Stellaris. Not technically a TBS but real-time with pause is close enough. Really enjoying it, first Paradox game I've tried that doesn't feel like a chore to play.

My last campaign I played as some reptilian alien species. I discovered Earth, its inhabitants still in the atomic age. I established an observation post nearby and began abducting humans to learn more about them. Eventually I infiltrated their society with reptilians genetically engineered to appear human, and annexed the planet into my interstellar empire.

Last edited:
Wind Waker is absolutely my favourite of all the LoZ games, but I really don't understand the level of hate Twilight Princess gets.

Really fucking excited to play Sea Of Thieves btw.

Dude I can't wait for Sea of Thieves either. That game is going to be fucking amazing!

Reactions: CiG
Spent most of yesterday playing Stellaris. Not technically a TBS but real-time with pause is close enough. Really enjoying it, first Paradox game I've tried that doesn't feel like a chore to play.

My last campaign I played as some reptilian alien species. I discovered Earth, its inhabitants still in the atomic age. I established an observation post nearby and began abducting humans to learn more about them. Eventually I infiltrated their society with reptilians genetically engineered to appear human, and annexed the planet into my interstellar empire.

that sounds pretty great. my favourite TBS is an old amstrad game called ANNALS OF ROME that nobody cares about, and it's too obscure + i don't have enough knowledge of the genre to find other games like it. i don't have time atm but i may try to describe it later and see if anyone can recommend anything. edit: this is a good start i guess, doesn't really capture how beautifully it works though. i think it's because it's really simple at its core, i like stuff to be strategically complex but fundamentally simple (i am a chess player after all).

Last edited:
the amstrad version can be emulated with winape but last time i tried it i could only find a french version with a seriously hideous colour scheme (i still played it though, could work out what it was saying for the most part). i can't even find a screenshot of my old version on google so i think that must've died a death. i'll have a look in a bit anyways.

You've never played them have you? They are fantastic games man the gameplay is fucking great. Sure it's heavily scripted, but most AAA Titles are. And it's good storytelling.

You've never played them have you? They are fantastic games man the gameplay is fucking great. Sure it's heavily scripted, but most AAA Titles are. And it's good storytelling.

I played the first one when it came out and I got through a bit of the second one before I got tired. When the series was new no one had really done that auto traversal stuff before but nowadays every AAA game does it and it's fucking annoying. It sucks all the tension out of the game. Look at 2:08 in the video; that situation should be terrifying but you basically feel indifferent about it because of the gameplay mechanics.

Excited about this new Warhammer 40k MMO, I avoid MMO gaming as a general rule but fuck, this has me reconsidering my stance.

Last edited: