Gamers Thread

Skyrim's pretty cool but it's got nothing on Morrowind. Skyrim feels like a theme park whereas Morrowind feels like an actual place, hostile and weird and immersive as fuck. Strong best-game-ever candidate.
Daggerfall and Morrowind are my two favorite TES games for that exact reason.

Skyrim's pretty cool but it's got nothing on Morrowind. Skyrim feels like a theme park whereas Morrowind feels like an actual place, hostile and weird and immersive as fuck. Strong best-game-ever candidate.

i should probably play morrowind already. 'feels like an actual place, hostile and weird and immersive as fuck' is like the best possible description for a game.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic i hope this revamp fucking gets finished next year. the weirdest of all games.

If there’s one thing games are good at, it’s creating a sense of place, immersive and real. Imagine a remote town—so small it doesn’t even seem to have a name, a town where obscure traditions intertwine with progressive ideas and industrialization. You are an outsider here, and yet the town is yours. You’ll be the one to secure its fate, you’ll be the one it’ll open up to, sharing its secrets and mysteries. Its inhabitants will confide in you, its history will come back to life before your eyes, and its architecture will tell you stories.

Now imagine this town ravaged by an invisible and merciless enemy. The Sand Plague.

But we’re not just building a body—a physical place. We want to make an immersive town that feels alive, yes, but our main goal is to create a town filled with ideas. We want to make you feel that every nook and cranny is worth investigating, that it’s there for a reason.

The town is remote and thus relatively small, but it’s also very dense, open for exploration. Every second building has a name, every district is there for a reason, every street is a thread in the story. It’s a steppe town formed around a behemoth slaughterhouse, but paradoxically the locals worship bulls. A huge construction defying the laws of physics, called The Polyhedron, lies to the west. The air is thick, and for some reason there is a sacrificial site right inside the town. It’s hard to understand how it all holds together.

Which is why you’ll have to become a kind of sleuth. Why is it forbidden to dig wells here? How on earth does The Polyhedron not fall? Do actors in the Theatre really perform even when there’s no audience to watch their plays? We want to make each step you make intriguing and meaningful.

The plot of Pathologic is broken down into twelve days, each of them carrying new stories, quests, and events. Time flows mercilessly: if you fail to finish a task when it’s due, the opportunity is lost—as are human lives. You are completely free to roam and explore the Town, bartering, talking to strangers and generally surviving (which is hard enough to begin with and becomes harder and harder as time goes by and the Sand Plague becomes more and more deadly).

You’ll have to keep your body healthy. The hero needs to eat and sleep, to take care of their immune system—it’s the only thing that can preserve them from being infected with the Plague. To do all that, you’ll need resources (fresh water, bandages, bullets; even bread and coffee beans!), and procuring them in the Town torn apart by the epidemic is not an easy task: inflation and panic will try to strip you naked, making merchants greedy and townsfolk suspicious. You’ll have to be creative while bartering, try to avoid fights, even scavenge infected houses, and you’ll still feel hard-pressed for stuff.

But your scariest enemy is not a bandit armed to his teeth, but rather the disease itself. Man can kill man, but the Plague slowly kills the whole Town, devouring it district by district. So the sick will come to you begging you to save them… and exposing you to the infection. Is compassion still possible even when it puts you in direct danger?

After the district is ravaged by the disease, muggers and looters find their way there. They are searching for food, weapons, perhaps even clothing—in other words, for resources you desperately need to survive (or are you perhaps a marauder yourself?). And the Plague hides everywhere—in every man and woman, in every object—waiting to strike where it hurts most.

So you, one of the best doctors in the Town, will inevitably get sick. Sickness doesn’t necessarily mean imminent death though. You can fight the disease in your own body… but infection makes you a threat—a vector, albeit an unwilling one. You will find yourself killing the Town with your very hands while trying to save it. It will take all you’ve got to bring more good than harm, and there’s a good chance you’ll do that not by providing medicine and pills, but by thinking outside of the box and uncovering the Town’s numerous mysteries.

But it’ll be worth it, because the Town will be yours. You will be there, and every minute detail, plot-defined or AI-generated, will matter.

As much as I like Witcher and Dark Souls, I think ES games should steer clear of that style, as it would kinda fuck the first person aspect of the game. Unless they could change the style of combat depending on which camera view you're in or something.

I'm actually replaying Skyrim right now because I never did the 3 expansions.

I forgot that Skyrim's default is first person - I've always played it in 3rd
person. So yeah it might not actually work. But still, something needs to be done because the combat is by far the weakest aspect of the game. It's sluggish, unresponsive and really boring. The spellcasting is pretty crappy as well.

Having said that, it's still a great game that I sunk a lot of hours into. It's often underrated by video game purists imo.

I'm loving the Skyrim remaster. The melee combat is atrocious but the combat is still a lot of fun using archery imho.

So you didn't like X? I'm super stoked for 15, but I have to wait til the PC release.

Given the trajectory the FF series has gone, it's downright impossible for me to be excited for any installments. X-2 was the last straw for me.

XII was pretty good, but I love the Tactics games so maybe I'm just sugarcoating it due to the world it's set in.

The XIII games killed my enthusiasm so absolutely that I'm willing to give XV a chance out of sheer hope. Plus, exploring such a lush FF world in this way appeals to my sense of adventure and summons the size of kaijus is awesome.

Also, as much as I like FFX, it was linear as shit so I have trouble understanding how you see that game as the last one worth playing and then look at FFXV and say, it doesn't look like it's even up to the standard of X.

You'll have to let me know what the game's like CIG. I'm a huge fan of the series but my interest has died out lately. 13 was such a monumental disappointment and 15 has been in production for so fucking long that that it's been hard to keep interest.