Gamers Thread

I downloaded this to the Switch the day it came out, only now giving it a play. Pretty cool so far, very much a blatant throwback/nostalgia game.

i_am_setsuna_packshot_switch_us.jpg

Replaying some classic Duke 3D. I wish the all the indie game dev hipster types would revive 2.5D shooters, playing the same dozen games and the occasional mod gets old.

everything i've heard of shadow of war with its p2w nonsense (and the fact that the first game was shallower than a puddle) makes me really not want to go near it

Finally played a bit of Shadow of War, it's essentially more of the same but much easier to basically never die. Haven't gotten too far into it but I somehow don't see myself seeing it to its end.

Finally played a bit of Shadow of War, it's essentially more of the same but much easier to basically never die. Haven't gotten too far into it but I somehow don't see myself seeing it to its end.

Much easier to never die? LOL... It's alot harder to not die lol... Especially about half way through the game. And once you start Act IV, where you have to defend 20 fortresses in total, the amount of enemies and warchiefs/bodyguard that appear, made it pretty damn challenging.

Sure, but alot of the warchiefs/bodyguards later in the game have weapons that literally can kill you with a single hit or two. The enemies I found difficult were the ones that had little to know weakness on top of having Iron Will

GTA is gaming perfection on every level, graphics (considering the scope of the games), sound, missions, replay value, story/presentation, depth (kinda goes with replay value). Those who bash it are those who don't understand it at all, the game is not a "hey let's go shoot everybody" BS. There's 100 - 200 hours of gameplay in all 3 games.

Been playing a lot of The Long Dark. More of a pure survival simulation game than most. A lot of fun in its simplicity. Geomagnetic storm crashes your plane in the Canadian wilds and you have to forage cabins/woods to just try and live as long as possible. The combat is minimal, which makes encounters with bears and wolves all the more exhilarating. You can mostly avoid them by keeping your distance but there are dense areas with a lot of supplies the wolves just so happen to hang around. Has some good long-term tension and I actually get emotional playing it unlike most anything. (Okay, maybe rage from league of legends) but you just get so immersed in it. Great ambient snow/wind effects and soundtrack help you feel in the moment too

the last GTA is just too overwhelming for me. it's an awesome accomplishment despite the juvenile satire and i love certain sequences (i.e. the start of trevor's arc), but it's just too much. you can go into the cinema and sit down and watch a 20 minute movie that's taken more thought and effort than a lot of entire games that i've played, and that's kind of amazing but also super depressing. to get the complete GTA experience requires sacrificing more IRL experience than i'm comfortable with. i guess i feel that way about most open world stuff, but that game particularly.

been playing moo2 a lot lately. those fuckin' antarans are assholes.

This. Sick of hearing about that franchise.

I actually played the shit out of GTA3 and Vice City to a lesser extent. But the formula got old. San Andreas and GTA4 were poor. San Andreas even promotes ridiculous racist stereotypes. But even if it didn’t, the formula had stagnated by then for me and there wasn’t enough advancement in gameplay to keep me interested.

i never really played any much before GTAV so there's gonna be way more novelty there for me, but it's obviously remarkable in a lot of ways irrespective of that. i'd probably be sick of the series by now if i'd played that many of them though.