Gamers Thread

Resident Evil 4 is better than Diablo II, imo, though the two aren't really comparable. It's a game I can return to almost anytime and enjoy, the action is exciting each time anew. With Diablo I've experienced major burnout periods.
In general though I can't think of any games that top the classic adventures titles from Lucas Arts and Sierra.(The King's Quest series, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, etc). These games are untouchable. I've replayed them more times than I care to recall.

In general though I can't think of any games that top the classic adventures titles from Lucas Arts and Sierra.(The King's Quest series, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, etc).

dont forget The Curse of Monkey Island series FTFW.

The Baldur's Gate series > Any PC game, ever.
I liked Icewind Dale II better.

FFXII: Yiazmat was a bitch to beat, but i did after running away like 10 times. i cba to levelup much lol. story-wise though, the game is not as moving as previous FFs (especially VII).

I liked Icewind Dale II better.

I've heard Icewind Dale is like Baldur's Gate but more tactics-oriented, and I loved Baldur's Gate because the battles required more tactics than usually in most RPGs I've played, so I may really like Icewind Dale. Been meaning to look into it.

@mutantllama, for better or worse, the ps2 BG games aren't anything like the PC ones, as far as I've seen they're not even the same genre.

I heard about a new Dragon Quest game coming out for the DS. It looks fun, because its not turn based.

I prefer turn-based combat myself. The one thing I disliked about
Dragon Quest VIII is the random enemy encounters, it made the gameplay feel fragmented.

It's a good thing that in Persona 3 the enemies are visible on the map.

Baldur's Gate 2 was one of my first RPGs(outside of the Might&Magic series.). Definitely an awesome game.

Strategic wise yes, but is it more skillfull? Like sometimes it's a matter of luck, vs actually dodging something. Like DotA. There is a bit of luck, but most of it is skill, teamwork, and a bit of basic reflexes.

The luck element is what pisses me off about turn based rpg's. I love how in real time there is barely any luck involved. Instead of the game deciding what hits and misses and such you and the enemy do. Which makes it more fun.

I prefer turn-based combat myself. The one thing I disliked about
Dragon Quest VIII is the random enemy encounters, it made the gameplay feel fragmented.

It's a good thing that in Persona 3 the enemies are visible on the map.

Yeah I like turn-based RPGs, they're fun as hell. Persona 3 is fucking amazing!

Regarding luck playing a part in dodging something; think about real-life. Sometimes it takes skill and reflexes to dodge something; sometimes...dumb fucking luck!

I've never been huge on RPGs in general, but I always find it difficult to play certain turn-based RPGs. I think I strated Golden Sun over about 5 times and Grandia II about 7. Fantastic games, I just never could put myself to finishing them.

Turn based RPG's bore me after a while. Especially ones with levels, because the higher the level the more boring waiting through battles you have to do. I've never had a level 100 pokemon ever because I would always start over when I beat the game.

Strategic wise yes, but is it more skillfull? Like sometimes it's a matter of luck, vs actually dodging something. Like DotA. There is a bit of luck, but most of it is skill, teamwork, and a bit of basic reflexes.
Real-time combat involves a lot of micro-management. Take Warcraft 3, for example. Your troops have a big array of special skills and attacks at their disposal, but in the heat of battle it's nigh impossible to use them with utmost efficiency, since the game turns into a mishmash. Turn-based combat, on the other hand, lets you isolate each enemy and attack it the way you see fit.
I suppose in the end, it all boils down to whether you prefer games that test your reflexes to those that involve more strategic planning. Not to say that Wacraft is lacking the latter, but eventually, the outcome is determined by how quick you are with the mouse and not by how well you planned your attack.