Gamers Thread

Some genres just appeal to some people more than others. I've never been really into FPS or RTS games (because I tend to suck at them - and also because some people devote their life to them and demoralize you), but I don't have a problem with most RPGs, action/adventure/platform, and sports games.

Real-time combat involves a lot of micro-management. Take Warcraft 3, for example. Your troops have a big array of special skills and attacks at their disposal, but in the heat of battle it's nigh impossible to use them with utmost efficiency, since the game turns into a mishmash. Turn-based combat, on the other hand, lets you isolate each enemy and attack it the way you see fit.
I suppose in the end, it all boils down to whether you prefer games that test your reflexes to those that involve more strategic planning. Not to say that Wacraft is lacking the latter, but eventually, the outcome is determined by how quick you are with the mouse and not by how well you planned your attack.

Now this is what I like about Baldur's Gate - It's in real-time, but you can pause the game whenever you want and hand out commands while the game is paused. No rapid micro-management. Yay!

Real-time combat involves a lot of micro-management. Take Warcraft 3, for example. Your troops have a big array of special skills and attacks at their disposal, but in the heat of battle it's nigh impossible to use them with utmost efficiency, since the game turns into a mishmash. Turn-based combat, on the other hand, lets you isolate each enemy and attack it the way you see fit.
I bet in a real high level ladder game, people can use a lot of the units skills. But in DotA, there is little micro involved but a few heroes and items. There is still a bit of luck with dodging shit, or getting some crit, but, there is also the chance to dodge other players skills, like pudges hook, or Priestess of the Moons Arrow skill,etc. [/QUOTE]

I suppose in the end, it all boils down to whether you prefer games that test your reflexes to those that involve more strategic planning. Not to say that Wacraft is lacking the latter, but eventually, the outcome is determined by how quick you are with the mouse and not by how well you planned your attack.
You still need to plan your attack. You need to know what units you are going to need, need to resource your lumber, gold, and food. You need to know what units to bring to battle etc. But then again, I hardly play ladder Warcraft. I play DotA and other custom maps. Where DotA, the most important skill is probably teamwork. Communicating with your team, working together to gank an enemy hero, who is going to be the carry hero, the support, the tank,etc. In top tier DotA, it takes a lot of strategy. Like what heroes you are going to take out of the pool, who you need to counter,etc.

Yea, you still need to plan the attack, but in the midst of battle all of your plans are shot down because it's difficult to discern who is attacking who at every given moment
I don't really play multiplayer games in WC3. I played custom maps against the computer and he's nearly unbeatable on higher difficulty levels, obviously because he micro-manages all of his units simultaneously, something that a human player can't do.
And this is pretty much one of the most glaring faults with many RTS games.

Yea, you still need to plan the attack, but in the midst of battle all of your plans are shot down because it's difficult to discern who is attacking who at every given moment
Like I said earlier, I bet a high level ladder player would be able see who is attacking who. Because they have insane microing skills, and generally can see what happens most of the time.

I don't really play multiplayer games in WC3. I played custom maps against the computer and he's nearly unbeatable on higher difficulty levels, obviously because he micro-manages all of his units simultaneously, something that a human player can't do.
And this is pretty much one of the most glaring faults with many RTS games.
Like I said before, a pro ladder competitive player could probably micro just as well as a computer player could. But, I hardly play ladder anyways, and I suck at it. Even though I should probably play it, to get a better icon to get into TDA.

I'm only a very casual DotA player, and I have no problem telling what's going on. I don't play much melee in WC3 though, I don't like how it's so focused on micromanagement (far from all RTS games are)

What do you play on?

Also, it's not very hard to figure out what's going on. I think the hardest thing for me is finding out what's going on during team battles, with lots of animations, and shit, so I can't see much.

I think they've made a drastic overhaul with Warcraft 3 compared to, let's say Starcraft. The latter had fewer units, but they were more responsive and there were less skills that required micro-management. With WC 3 you have so much variety in units and skills that when you have a multifarious army, the battlefield turns into a cluttered mess. Yes, you have hotkeys and auto-casting options, but still, overall, the units in the game require a lot more "babysitting".

Also there is the hero system. You need to watch your heroes also. I've said this a few times already, but in top tier ladder matches, the players can micromanage a lot better.

The problem I've always faced with RTS is that I feel bad whenever I loose a unit. I mean, it could be the most insignificant unit on the battlefield, but when I loose it I just feel overwhelmed and I have to make something to replace it.

When I played Company Of Heroes I was constantly sending down more paratroppers and tanks during huge firefights.

Anyone know where the Dry Hills are in Diablo II are??? I'm stuck and can't find them. Just a giant head and some swamp looking thing that looks blue on the auto map.