Gamers Thread

Far Cry 2 had incredible potential but was fucked to hell. Enemies detected you way too easily, the respawning checkpoints were incredibly annoying, mission design was laughable, the shooting mechanics were mediocre at best, the plot was a laughable rewrite of Heart of Darkness, weapon degradation was annoying instead of cool, the guns were bad...yeah. Lots of problems. But...it was fucking gorgeous, and the potential of an open-world sandbox fps is incredible. Starting a fire upwind of an enemy camp and burning them out was awesome.

Dude has anyone ever had an order just disappear on Amazon? I ordered an i3, mobo and GTX660 but they never got here and i looked to track it and it's not showing up!! WTF??
No biggie, all i'm playing now is Portal 2, Black Mesa and FSX, which all play fine and there really isn't anything on the horizon i'm interested in...it's mostly a crunching upgrade.
My Corsair SSD did get here though!

Any thoughts of Halo 4 yet? After a few hours of playing i must say im little disappointed. The overall feel is like c.o.d to me and some of the maps seems pretty linear. Visually its beautiful and overall a good game but it still couldnt keep up with the quality Bungie always ensured. Music isnt anywhere near O'Donnells epicness and the theater option failed miserably.
Bungie set the standarts too high and the production shouldn't regress when doing a sequel. Atleast it didn't in Bungie's era. There's still a lot of good but i miss the old Halo vibe, which is missing. This's what happens when messing with a trusted brand.

I'm only a few hours into it myself, and so far I like it, it's a fun game, but it's not anything special, just very fun. And it gets a bit repetitive at times, for ex.

You have an objective
You run towards objective
Enemies swarm around objective
Shoot enemies, hide and recharge shield
Do this till they all are dead
Walk up to objective and click "x" to complete
Walk in a linear line to next objective

Anyway, the graphics are really amazing, especially on my 120" 1080p projector =) I'm surprised the xbox can look that good, I don't know how they did that.

So far I give it a 7.8/10, good game, just not a great game.

I'm going to have to a disagree that it's not as fun as previous Halos, but let's be honest here, we all know Halo 2 set the standards for FPS and Halo 3 bumped it up a notch imo. Halo Reach sucked... Armor abilities killed the game, especially Armor Lock. Yeah there are still armor abilities but they are so well balanced in this game which makes it wayyyyy more enjoyable to me.

The Ordnance Drops are an amazing addition to Slayer games although sometimes the drops are really bad.

In terms of replayability it's pretty much as close as Halo 2 and 3 your going to get. The Gametypes have been refined in a way. Especially Oddball considering you can throw the ball to your teamates or just throw it off the map so the other team can't get it.

I find this has been the one of the best Halo's in years. The Single Player Campaign was awesome, felt like Halo 2 and 3. And Cortana's voice acting was amazing as usual.

To me this game has brought the flair and the passions I once had for Halo back into my sights. I think 343 Industries did a fantastic job.

Finished Assassin's Creed 3. Anticlimax isn't the word. The gameplay is still good but it hasn't really added an awful lot. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood set the standards so high that it's incredibly difficult to surpass them. I'll go back and do all the side missions and stuff and then dive into the multiplayer, but the future of the series looks uncertain.

Anyway, fucking Hitman: Absolution next week!

So the word on Hitman: Absolution is that it's bad. Really bad. I know reviews are subjective, but if you read the PCGamer review (you can find scans on the internet), it's objectively bad. In 64% of the missions your goal is just to get to a certain place. Only 25% of the missions are actually classic Hitman missions where you have a sandbox and you assassinate someone. The levels are much smaller, the game runs poorly, the AI detection is inconsistent, and the engine throws off constant blinding bloom. Also you can't choose your weapons or carry them over between missions - every mission starts with an unsilenced pistol and that's it.

I gotta say, I'm incredibly disappointed. The preview footage I saw looked solid to me, like classic Hitman updated a bit. But a lot of this stuff is objective facts, and if true, the game simply isn't Hitman.

On the other hand, it sounds like Black Ops 2 is better than expected.

So the word on Hitman: Absolution is that it's bad. Really bad. I know reviews are subjective, but if you read the PCGamer review (you can find scans on the internet), it's objectively bad. In 64% of the missions your goal is just to get to a certain place. Only 25% of the missions are actually classic Hitman missions where you have a sandbox and you assassinate someone. The levels are much smaller, the game runs poorly, the AI detection is inconsistent, and the engine throws off constant blinding bloom. Also you can't choose your weapons or carry them over between missions - every mission starts with an unsilenced pistol and that's it.

I gotta say, I'm incredibly disappointed. The preview footage I saw looked solid to me, like classic Hitman updated a bit. But a lot of this stuff is objective facts, and if true, the game simply isn't Hitman.

Wow that's terrible news, I have been anticipating it for over a year. Now that I think about it, the first preview mission in the library didn't really have anything of what I like about Hitman.

In other news, I finally got myself a PSX emulator. Now I'm going to download Suikoden II and Symphony of the Night. Good times ahead!

On the other hand, it sounds like Black Ops 2 is better than expected.

Most people are saying that the reviewer is incredibly unreliable. People have started uploading walkthroughs on Youtube. I'm staying away from them until I finish the game but they might give a better idea of what to expect than the words of one guy. Some of my favourite games got bad reviews and I've hated others that got amazing reviews, so I tend not to let them cloud my judgement.

Actually, most people are saying that reviewer is extremely reliable, and again they were reporting facts as well as offering a subjective opinion. I find it extremely hard to believe that every single fact they reported was wrong.

The library mission looked bad. The Chinatown mission looked good, though.

Quite simply put, if the following objective facts are true:
  • Most of the missions do not allow you to assassinate a target in whatever way you choose.
  • You cannot carry weapons between missions or choose your starting equipment.
  • The game actively encourages you to kill guards (by giving you "Instinct" points for it).
Then it's just not a proper Hitman game.

Anyways, we'll see.

In the meantime, the PC release of Black Ops 2 is totally fucked. The second disk somehow got pressed wrong, and has the game data from Mass Effect 2. Like, pop it in and your computer will read it as Mass Effect 2. This is going to cost Activision a lot...they'll have to recall every copy, press and ship new ones, and I rather imagine there will be a costly lawsuit from EA. Oops.

Sank a couple hours into the Black Ops 2 campaign. First impressions...this is head and shoulders above everything since the first Modern Warfare. The level design is a more open, the future weapons are far more interesting, the ability to choose your loadout before missions is great, the plot is a lot more interesting, the future setting is cool...they definitely took some pointers from Crysis 2 and the Syndicate remake and ran with it, and it works.

Complaints:

Some bad animation. Consider the opening cinematic with Menendez addressing the crowd, they're all facing directly forward so the ones on the sides are staring intently at a wall.

Some serious AI/scripting errors. Enemies failing to detect you, even when their buddies are shooting at you. In the part where you carry Woods, I had enemies detect me but the game didn't end. I've heard people say this shit was present in the older games but in my own experience I found them damn near flawless in that respect, so this is a major change.

Some really rigid horseshit. When I was carrying woods and I had to hide behind the log, I was a little too slow and so even though the enemies couldn't see me I lost because I failed to trigger the scripted animation where you lie down under the log. In the Afghanistan mission when I was trapped under the horse I failed to escape in time. The game didn't wait until the tank actually crushed me, though. As soon as there wasn't enough time to escape it gave me a game over screen. Lame.

The engine they're using is starting to really show its age. They use a whole bunch of little tricks to pretty things up but they'd be much better off switching to a new engine. I guess given the release schedule of these things that would present its own set of challenges for the devs, though.

On regular difficulty shirtless guys take 3 rounds to the chest before they go down. It's not a balance issue, because you take about a million, but it's just a little bit silly.

In terms of the plot, there's often very little to explain why you're doing what you're doing. For example in the Afghanistan mission...why is Mason there? He went into Angola purely to help out a buddy, so it's not at all clear why he's still working with the CIA fighting the Russians.

These relatively minor quibbles aside, I'm really liking this. I haven't tried zombies or the multiplayer yet. I'm not a big multiplayer fan but based on what I've heard about this one's multiplayer (that it deemphasizes KDR) I'm seriously considering just buying the game.

[youtube]Vzue74y7A84&feature=plcp[/youtube]​

conan_head_spin1i7ts.gif

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

This is fucking amazing

You are now entering Gamers' Heaven (a.k.a. my friend's house).

http://imgur.com/a/SBI7M

That's fucking sick!

Back to Hitman, regardless of how bad it is I still will be getting it.

On another note sign this petition guys if you were fans of the Timesplitters series. This would be great to have a HD Collection. The more people sign the better, currently the goal is to reach 300,000 and this is backed up by Crytek UK's CEO. So if this does get done there's a good chance we get this and Timesplitters 4.

http://tinyurl.com/timesplitters

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/56422_335026569927890_419439563_o.jpg