Gamers Thread

I'm still playing it, although not as much as before. That's mainly 'cos of the time of year, though. I'm level 21 with 85 species in my Pokedex. As Old Wainds alluded to, it becomes a much bigger time sink to level up post level 20. They have added a few updates, the best being the buddy system so far but the biggest issue people seem to have that instead of actually fixing the tracker system they just deleted it from the game. Lazy developers.

Speaking of time sinks, a friend of mine roped me into playing the new World of Warcraft expansion. I can feel my life slowly slipping away again!

i'm lvl 23 with 97. still haven't got a few you've got though, i.e. onix, scyther, dratini/dragonair.

Everybody I know that played it hard is suddenly lukewarm.

isn't this true with most games tho? novelty was bound to wear off. the original pokemon craze didn't last forever either, it became much more of a niche thing after a while, at least over here. i think they could've made that decrease in interest more gradual if they'd been more savvy about adding features and adding incentives for catching stuff you already have etc.

idk, i thought it was pretty much lukewarm by the time gold/silver came out here, and definitely by the generation after that. keeping in mind we didn't even get red/blue here 'til 99 that's not a v long time. either way it's probably longer than go though lol

Those games made billions and billions of dollars and are still going and making tons of money today, so I'm not sure I'd agree. :lol:

Probably people got out of it as they got older but I guess the following generations kept up the fan replacement rates. Unless you were hanging around with people a few years younger than you, it probably did seem like it went lukewarm.

seems like Go's 'updates' have had a negative effect on carrying on player enjoyment. The removal of steps/nearby thing was strange to me.

the servers just couldn't handle it for whatever reason. notice how they've been fine ever since they got rid of that feature. they did massively improve the nearby list itself though, it's way more accurate and refreshes a lot more quickly now.

i'd be interested to see UK sales for each generation. i mean i know enough people a few years younger than me to be pretty sure they didn't have anything like the same craze as we had for the initial games. i can't speak for japan or the US or aus though. the show stopped airing on prime terrestrial tv n shit too after the first series.

an article from a day ago says: According to the latest numbers from app market analyst Apptopia, monthly active users plummeted from 50.2 million on August 12 down to 32.4 million on Sept 10.

i'm not entirely sure what that means tbh but 32m is roughly how many people bought red/blue i believe? (closer to 50 if you count yellow though)

Last edited:
From wiki:

Pokémon Gold and Silver were critically acclaimed upon release and they are considered by many to be the best games in the entire series, as well as some of the fifth generation console gaming's most significant titles. They continued the enormous success of their predecessors as Pokémon began to form into a multi-billion dollar franchise. The games almost matched the sales of Pokémon Red and Blue and went on to jointly sell millions of copies worldwide. By 2010, the recorded sales of Gold and Silver were at 23 million units.

Pretty good, but wiki says gold and silver came out in the EU a year after Australia and North America got it and 2 years after Japan, so maybe you guys did experience some strange lag-based lukewarmness.

i think gold/silver did pretty well to be fair, i bought them immediately and i think my buddies and i were still into it. i think there was a bigger drop off after that but maybe you're right to a point that we were just too old by then. i just feel like the red/blue craze was absolutely insane here, i was obsessed with pokemon before the games even dropped because i'd bought a guide and seen a few eps of the show (which came first here), literally evvveryone was playing it in playgrounds n shit, trading the cards and having all kinds of merch etc. it didn't seem nearly as big a part of the public consciousness by the time the next games dropped.

idk why i'm arguing about this anyway, i WANT less people to play go so i can own the local gyms lol

Reactions: CiG
Yeah I remember Silver and Gold were pretty big when I was a kid, I think interest in Pokemon dropped once Yu-Gi-Oh became popular.

Anyways been playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on the Playstation, fuck that game can kill time.

US here, Pokemon Red/Blue was the most popular when I was growing up. I think the Gold/Silver was just as popular with the younger kids, but I was entering high school at this point and I never ended up buying it. I fucked up my Blue version of the game because I decided to try and catch Missing No, and it ended up glitching my cartridge to the point that I was no longer able to save my progress.

I remember there being a Pokemon card craze as well, and everyone was trading and selling cards to the point where the middle school administration eventually had to ban Pokemon cards. The buying/selling of the cards really got out of hand, and we were selling rare cards for 10-20 bucks at one point. At least in my area, I dont think Pokemon was as popular with the younger generation, which like mutantllama said, mostly turned into interest in YGO.

Funny enough, Pro Skater 2 was also huge back then as well. Probably one of the reasons why I stopped caring so much about Pokemon. As a skater back in high school, this game was the shit. I dont think it was half as popular as the Pokemon craze though. I was never much into the Pokemon TV show though, so I dont really know how that factored in. It was all about watching DBZ on Toonami. I didnt even watch much of the Pokemon show cause I thought it was lame as fuck.

i think gold/silver did pretty well to be fair, i bought them immediately and i think my buddies and i were still into it. i think there was a bigger drop off after that but maybe you're right to a point that we were just too old by then. i just feel like the red/blue craze was absolutely insane here, i was obsessed with pokemon before the games even dropped because i'd bought a guide and seen a few eps of the show (which came first here), literally evvveryone was playing it in playgrounds n shit, trading the cards and having all kinds of merch etc. it didn't seem nearly as big a part of the public consciousness by the time the next games dropped.

idk why i'm arguing about this anyway, i WANT less people to play go so i can own the local gyms lol

My experience was similar to yours - Pokemon Red and Blue were huge and everyone was playing them and trading the cards at school. No one ever actually played the card game though as it was shit. By the time Gold and Silver hit, the hype train had already massively died down, so much so that I didn't buy them. I've been thinking about downloading an emulator and playing Soul Silver because I have heard S and G were the best in the series.

I'm not a skater or anything but Tony Hawks 2 was the shit. Such a fun game! I played the Hell out of it when it came out.

It's hard for me to gauge it's popularity consistency to be honest, because I never had a lull moment in my interest and fandom. I've never missed a game, excluding Go because I hate cellphones.

Gold and Silver were really popular in my school in Sweden.

Speaking of which, did any of you actually play the card game? I remember everyone collecting the cards, but no one took the time to actually learn how to play so we ended up gambling with the cards in the best way we knew how. Whoever threw their card closest to the wall won the other persons card...