Gaming Thread

I prefer FO2, but NV is still a pretty decent game.
Fixed that for you.

is nvidea better? I've never had an nvidea card because my brother always builds my comps and ati seems alright
I'm an nVidia fanboy myself, but I don't think the difference is all that great anymore. Both chipsets have their rough spots from time to time, so it's really not all that important.

Then again, my hardare knowledge isn't up to date, so someone might contradict me on this.

Switching directions a bit...Did anyone else try the new Need For Speed: Hot Persuit demo that just came out on Xbox Live Arcade? I loved that game back on PS2 and this one is just as good. Criterion made this one so it shares alot of similarities as the Burnout series but playing as cops is just as much fun as the first one. It comes out in early Nov. I think. This one will definatley be on my must buy list.

Again if any of you want to do some Live gaming hit me up....Gamertag is Sentient777 oh and if you play the demo of NFS: HP you need a friend that has played it to unlock the racing part. Cops chase is open right off the bat though.

is nvidea better? I've never had an nvidea card because my brother always builds my comps and ati seems alright

nVidia cards typically run a bit cooler and have much better drivers. However, I just bought one and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass, so that whole thing might come crashing to an end soon.

ATI typically has always had faster cards but their drivers have always been quite shaky. Their cards are designed to run hotter and overclocking used to be much better on ATI, but not they're both about the same. ATI used to be the uber-geek-gamer card, while the nVidia cards used to be mainly for gamers who want their shit to work right out of the box in order to play their favorite game.

I had one single ATI card and the drivers sucked and it died after two years. I've been reluctant to buy a new one, but after my experience with this new GeForce GTX 460, I might go back to a Radeon 5770.

Sapphire PCIE-SP5850-1H3 Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Video Card w 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2.0 x16 HDC - $254-$280

Intel Core i7 950 Intel Core i7 950 Quad-Core (4 x 3.06GHz) - $294

Asus Rampage Extreme III - $300

^bulky board, you don't have to get that one though. I like this one because you can overclock like crazy, and it has enough space for future upgrades.

Get the DDR3 RAM, the right power supply...the basics and your set. This will set you under 2k easy. A set-up like this will enable you to run just about anything and will last.

http://www.pricewatch.com/
http://www.ebay.com/

^ do some browsing on pricewatch.

A core i7 is major CPU overkill unless you plan to pair it with SLI/Crossfire video cards. I wouldn't spend more than about $100 on a CPU intended for a single card system.

Unless you plan to play a lot of CPU-intensive multi-threaded games such as Total War

nVidia cards typically run a bit cooler and have much better drivers. However, I just bought one and it's been nothing but a pain in the ass, so that whole thing might come crashing to an end soon.

ATI typically has always had faster cards but their drivers have always been quite shaky. Their cards are designed to run hotter and overclocking used to be much better on ATI, but not they're both about the same. ATI used to be the uber-geek-gamer card, while the nVidia cards used to be mainly for gamers who want their shit to work right out of the box in order to play their favorite game.

I had one single ATI card and the drivers sucked and it died after two years. I've been reluctant to buy a new one, but after my experience with this new GeForce GTX 460, I might go back to a Radeon 5770.

tbh my ATI 5770 runs quite a bit cooler than my 9800GT did.

and i wouldn't say an I7 is overkill i have two 5770's and a quad core q6600 2.40 Ghz and it struggles quite a bit. BFBC2 FPS drops a fair amount, especially during explosions, Mafia 2 was shaky. Empire goes super slow with more than 1000 units on screen, full armies? like 10 FPS.

A core i7 is major CPU overkill unless you plan to pair it with SLI/Crossfire video cards. I wouldn't spend more than about $100 on a CPU intended for a single card system.

Unless you plan to play a lot of CPU-intensive multi-threaded games such as Total War

I think the main attraction of i7's is there ability to overclock. I've read reviews where people have brought an i7 with a 2.83 (or something around there) clock speed up to 4.00 without changing the voltage.

I'm playing New Vegas much the same way I'm planning to play Dragon Age II. It's a lot of fun when you talk to people and solve their quests and then unexpectedly get them as a companion (for instance, Boone was a nice surprise). I only knew ED-E would be important, because you see him in the opening cinematic, and I'm thinking Cass will be a companion too, but I haven't done her quest yet (so don't spoil). So right now, I've got Boone and ED-E with me, and I'll probably get Cass too, and some companions I've yet to meet (and I probably missed some too - I thought Sunny Smiles would've been a party member, but guess not)

Boone, on a related note, is such a good sniper that he tends to take out threats before I've even seen them :D

Also, ED-E's little ditty whenever he enters combat is totally adorable :D

I'm loving New Vegas so far, only thing that annoys me is all the FO2 references that the devs shoehorned in. Cass being Cassidy's (FO2 NPC) daughter was the biggest. Sure, Cassidy says he comes from the Midwest and all, but still. It's like everyone from FO2 moved to New Vegas. I preferred the very rare references the original FO3 had (like Harold being the tree in that paradise place).

Seriously, you can't talk to two NPCs without running into at least one FO2 reference. Reminds me of that halfwit George Lucas and his shoehorned references in the Star Wars prequels.